What a Stalin Quote About Rigging Elections Reveals About the 2020 Election

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What a Stalin Quote About Rigging Elections Reveals About the 2020 Election

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:35 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 am But starting today I'm also keeping a firearm beside my bed. I am after all, surrounded by His cult... a warning is tendered, in the words of their God... "you loot, I shoot!"
Have you trained to quickly shoot to kill people? If not, you may end up like the pastor a few days ago who drew a gun on a robber. The robber lunged, took the gun, and killed the pastor.

No matter what the gun culture proclaims, having a loaded gun, unlocked in the house, is more likely to end up with a resident of the house being shot than an intruder.
So I guess under this hypothetical situation.... I just let the looters have their way?

So they've already slashed my tires and rendered my vehicles inoperative.

I am to flee.

But under this hypothetical situation, where am I, the most despised man in town to flee [on foot] to? What about my wife and daughter who are not in shape to even keep up?

We've seen now law enforcement generally doesn't intervene when looters are white, so don't expect them to assist...

I realize most on this site lean anti-gun... but what are the alternatives in this situation? This is not a simple robbery matter, this is a total breakdown of law and order and a crumbling of society.

Sounds like we die either way. Frankly being shot with my own weapon sounds better than being tortured in my own home.

I reiterate... I am not saying I'm going to be picking off Trumpies on a normal clear day. I'm not saying I'm going to blast people who simply knock on the door to deliver (or even steal) a package.

But I just don't trust the people of my community anymore.

I guess we'll just let the mob rape and pillage... sounds like fun. I can hardly wait. :roll: Maybe the worst they'll do is burn a cross in the yard and be on their way... (and yes that's already happened in a town about an hour from here last year)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I suppose I could just place a TRUMP sign in the yard... that would likely keep them away but honestly, I think I'd rather die.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:16 amCarl, good comment made about the restraint shown by the police / guards. That was indeed impressive.
I do not watch, nor study, things for the "shock and awe" value. I'm studying carefully and looking for the big picture and not just on the screen. I'm looking for subtexts and context.

Whilst the overall event was despicable and disturbing, the officials handled it with great tact -- much more than I'd expected -- even in the face of a crowd of thugs, many of which were seemingly wearing body armour.

What we have to deal with in the aftermath is the mentality that made it thinkable in the first place and possible in the second -- and that mentality extends all the way to Main Street, and not just in the deep South. One of my co-workers who, when informed of the riot in DC commented, "Good! I hope they 'get' Polosi and Shumer.".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It’s telling, though, that the police were restrained when faced with overwhelmingly white Trump supporters brandishing guns, when the peaceful Black Lives Matter protest last year saw a different approach taken. The U.K. media have noted this discrepancy.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I was an early commenter on this thread explaining why I liked Donald Trump. But that was until yesterday. Today I have no respect for anyone who incites a riot on our democracy, then steps back letting others respond to his call, then gives a belated and weak appeal to his minions to go home. A constitutionally mandated procedure of counting electoral votes which hardly was noticed in the past became a social tragedy. And a real one as people were killed and injured. We are the nation who invented democracy and exported it around the world. Now we are the laughing-stock of the world. My personal opinion is there may have been some scattered fraud but not an organized attempt to steal the election and not one that would amount to reversing the result. It would have been nice if the courts heard the cases and let the facts come out so people would have information to have informed opinions, but absent that, we must continue our tradition of peaceful political transition. We are not Venezuela. Or Cuba. Or North Korea. But we may as well be after yesterday. My views have changed dramatically since yesterday. I sincerely hope that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris can run a united and peaceful nation. I don't agree with them politically but I am now glad they were elected since it is clear that Donald Trump has shown that he is not up to the job of honoring the oath he took to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". It took me 4 years to wake up.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:06 pm Whilst the overall event was despicable and disturbing, the officials handled it with great tact -- much more than I'd expected -- even in the face of a crowd of thugs, many of which were seemingly wearing body armour.
Well of course they handled it "peacefully", the mob was waving the flag with the sitting presidents name printed across it. And they were white. The commander in chief supported it, called for it, and even told the mob that he loved them... told them to "go home" only AFTER the deed was done.

Ask yourself honestly, if that were any other mob other than a TRUMP mob, you know there would have even a lot more bloodshed. If that had have been BLM or God forbid Antifa, Trump would have called up the entire U.S. Military in a grand show of force.

Consider this alternate outcome... the congress votes to overturn the election and Trump is sworn in for a second term. The left pulls the same stunt in Washington... do you honestly think it would have ended with only one white woman shot?

And it's just going to get worse. Trump isn't going away, he still has his army. Get ready, we're already begun the second civil war, people are just too timid to come out and say so.

You have seen for yourself how far the tentacles of the Trump religion have reached... even with your coworker. This is only beginning... all of those true Republicans that stood for democracy yesterday WILL be replaced with Trumplicans on the next primary.

You've said in the past that "most people are good" (I am paraphrasing). I disagree now more than ever. I find myself surrounded by people locally that are perfectly willing to live under an authoritarian fascist dictatorship, so long as Donald Trump is that dictator.

You say Donald Trump isn't one of the oligarchs... Frankly I liked it better when we lived under them, at least they kept the peace.
-Andrea
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Brad wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm ...My views have changed dramatically since yesterday. I sincerely hope that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris can run a united and peaceful nation. I don't agree with them politically but I am now glad they were elected since it is clear that Donald Trump has shown that he is not up to the job of honoring the oath he took to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States". It took me 4 years to wake up.
As an outsider, who really has no business commenting on the affairs of another country, your post has begun to renew my faith in Americans.  I sincerely hope there are many more like you.
Last edited by pelmut on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Brad, your comment gives me a complete about face. Thank you for posting it... perhaps there is hope and good conservatives left after all.

Thank you again. *high five!*
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Be warned, these are my own thoughts and my predictions may be completely wrong but as an outsider I see from afar.

I stayed up last night until the early hours watching it all unfurl. It was predictable that virtually all the GOP opposition to Biden's election evaporated. Essentially words, a brief discussion over Pennsylvania, then all sorted. Gavel down, Biden in. My thought is that Trump has blown it, big time. There are lines and then there are lines.... Awareness will result in enquiries about last night. Then there will be more enquiries about the alleged frauds, then investigations about other aspects of his behaviour when President. He'll never even get near 2024. Support will have drained away by then and then denials will come. "Well I never really supported him, just got carried away in the moment." sort of thing. But some heads may roll yet. Four years is a long time and a lot can happen in that interval. What did he really do anyway apart from playing golf and twittering away? From over here very little to speak of. Even Scotland doesn't want him. He wanted to slink away and play on his golf course, but was told, no. Probably the laziest one you've ever had and certainly one of the worst. As to his followers, they'll find some other focus. Incidentally, I noticed that he held his speech behind a bullet-proof screen.

As for Eric Trump's threats - who is he anyway, apart from one of the clan, that he can get to carry out such threats. What influence does he have in the GOP? Best off without them all.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 pmBrad, your comment gives me a complete about face. Thank you for posting it... perhaps there is hope and good conservatives left after all.

Thank you again. *high five!*
This, and Brad's comment showcase two reasons why I like this place enough to stick around. Two souls -- both wounded by the happenings of the the previous days -- coming together in a shifting of views. This is the stuff of genius and the stuff of hope. And the USA is woefully short on the latter at the moment.

Thank you gentlemen.

There are still two weeks left in this, and then hopefully things will calm down a bit so we can all lick our wounds (mental, mostly, but physical to a decent number in DC) and ask the very hard question, "Where did this go off the rails?" I'm hoping that the two weeks isn't spent biting nails and worrying whether the missiles will fly. Some talk is being floated about invoking the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, but I haven't any idea how serious it is -- or whether it could even be done without inciting another round of violence.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What alarmed me, and showed that the consequences of the invasion could have been worse, was the alleged discovery of pipe bombs and a truck with arms an Molotov cocktails in it. Some seriously deranged individuals came with mega destruction in mind. Thank goodness they were discovered otherwise you may not have had a Capitol building today.

As to the 25th reports to us are that it's either that or a quick impeachment [0]. But you are closer to the mood and the news but it's probably just what he deserves. I don't know how anyone can defend him and what he has done over the past few months. Hopefully he will realise that he went too far and we'll not hear much from him. I don't think that he would do anything malicious now. If he starts up again then go for him all barrels blazing, metaphorically speaking.

[0] Impeachment would bar him from public office, like forever.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 pm
As to the 25th reports to us are that it's either that or a quick impeachment [0]. But you are closer to the mood and the news but it's probably just what he deserves. I don't know how anyone can defend him and what he has done over the past few months. Hopefully he will realise that he went too far and we'll not hear much from him. I don't think that he would do anything malicious now. If he starts up again then go for him all barrels blazing, metaphorically speaking.

[0] Impeachment would bar him from public office, like forever.
This is the nation of God, guns, and whiskey. That may very well happen!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 pm[0] Impeachment would bar him from public office, like forever.
In a strictly legal sense, it wouldn't. All the impeachment process does is refer the subject to trial in the other chamber of the legislature, and recall that The Donald has already been successfully impeached once (by a vote of the House of Representatives), but the trial he received in the Senate was solidly down on party and Church lines. Recall, also, that William Clinton was impeached, not over the simple blow-job, but rather over lying about the matter -- the same way that an impeachment of Richard Nixon would have been successful due to the cover-up of the Watergate break-in had he not resigned first.

Normally, simple shame would keep the individual from seeking office again, but in this particular case (and it is a highly unusual one) we're dealing with someone who has no sense of shame whatsoever and who would happily stand for election again -- and if the "Cult of The Leader" was strong enough might well get re-elected.

The only instance of "term limits" that exists in the United States is the two-term limit on presidencies. This is frequently termed the "Truman Amendment" (because of the nature of the individual that inherited Franklin Roosevelt's position upon FDR's death) and has been in force since. Before that, the two-term stint was a gentleman's agreement based on the precedent set by George Washington; today it is codified in law. However, this does not preclude The Donald from standing in another presidential election next time 'round unless He's convicted in a court of law for something serious -- like sedition.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

I read that, if impeached, a simple majority vote in the Senate could bar him from public office.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

MrSoapsud wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:22 am I read that, if impeached, a simple majority vote in the Senate could bar him from public office.
Impeachment is done by the House. Trump has already been impeached once. It takes 2/3 of the Senate to convict. I think you are right that it only takes a simple majority to decide whether a conviction would include barring him from office.