Happy 40th Birthday Moonshadow!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Re: Happy 40th Birthday Moonshadow!!

Post by skirtedbrit »

Happy birthday Moon
Aah! the 1812, I have a cd of Ashkenazyand the St Petersburg Phil featuring a chorus,bells and real cannons fired by an artillery battery.
Although not on vinyl it is the best recording I have heard and the chorus gives it depth.
It is a Decca recording from 1998 but I do not have any further info on ID codes/numbers.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Many Happy Returns of a few days ago, glad it went well.

Everyone seems to be posting their favourite version of the 1812 Overture, so I will add my own to the list, recorded by George Cathie's Orchestra in 1928.  It is the most enthusiastic, uninhibited and jolly version I have ever come across -- and also the shortest at 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I missed this!

Happy birthday Moon. Here’s to many more.

All the best.

Ray
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Happy 40th birthday Moon, and many more to come.

BTW I have memories of the opening of the new Town Hall and concert centre in Wellington, New Zealand, must have been about 1982 give or take a year, where Tchaikovsky's 1812 was played, complete with the lineup of cannons just outside, timed to perfection.

I used to have a vinyl copy of that one somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it for about 35 years or so.
I only have a digital version on my PC, but it's just not the same as vinyl..

I'd like a decent record turntable, but they're becoming very expensive now to find a really good one that doesn't require a full restoration.
I find the cheaper turntables often have noisy bearings, poor quality drive tyres or excessive wow and flutter..
I do have a couple of decent tape decks, one of them I'm trying to find replacement pinch rollers for, which is proving interesting..
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:02 am I do have a couple of decent tape decks, one of them I'm trying to find replacement pinch rollers for, which is proving interesting..
The Ferrograph Series 7 pinch roller can be salvaged by removing the old rubber tyre and slipping three Viton 'O' rings over the metal core.  I don't know if a similar expedient would work with other makes.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.