First white Christmas

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

First white Christmas

Post by moonshadow »

Yes, in my 39 Christmases on this planet, I can't remember a single "white Christmas". A few close ones... but no cigar.

But looks like 2020 has delivered....

And it's supposed to snow through the night, accumulations around 2-4 inches with scattered snow showers on Christmas day... daytime high NINETEEN DEGREES! :shock: *brrrrrrrrr*

We shall NOT be leaving the house! :wink:

20201224_193109_resize_64_compress55.jpg
20201224_193113_resize_48_compress6.jpg
20201224_193136_resize_13_compress59.jpg
20201224_193221_resize_73_compress98.jpg
This has really put me in a peaceful Christmas mood tonight! I went out in this to follow Amber home from work. We're now sitting on the couch in our pajamas sipping Pepsi and eating take out pizza. Plenty of snacks and treats... ribs in the cooler waiting to be prepared tomorrow. Plenty of egg nog available...

.....and I located an old radio station out of Roanoke (Q99, Roanoke VA) online. Despite us living out of their broadcast radius, thanks to the internet, we can have the Christmas music we used to enjoy, along with the "Roanoke market" commercials that are really stoking our memory tonight!

Life is good!

Merry Christmas all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: First white Christmas

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:49 amYes, in my 39 Christmases on this planet, I can't remember a single "white Christmas". A few close ones... but no cigar.

But looks like 2020 has delivered....
Well, perhaps 2020 is good for something after all...

Up here in the "frozen north" it's pouring rain and we're under a flood watch. It's shades of Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas" famously done by Emerson Lake and Palmer (which also introduced Russian themes to US Christmas music via the use of Prokofiev's "Troika" theme from the Lieutenant Kijay suite).

So, it'll be a sodden Christmas in these here parts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I measured 2.5 inches about an hour ago, looks as though it's going to taper off during the midnight hours, but with daytime highs staying in the upper teens tomorrow, I don't expect the snow to disappear any time soon.

Screenshot_20201224-210927_StormTrack 5_resize_67_compress2.jpg
Helluva storm! It looks like the snowband was touching the South Carolina border, but I don't think it made it as far as Fred's.

Looks like it's downright dreadful in D.C.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 amLooks like it's downright dreadful in D.C.....
Who cares.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Wow, real snow - hard to imagine such a thing. Makes you home look very cosy.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Here, we have to go to the beach for "Whitecaps"! Enjoy a tobaggan run for us -- or do you call them bobsleds there? Just watch out for sleighs! :santa:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Whoohoo! Looks like the moon is coming out and the skies are starting to clear. I measure just under 4" total...

Not bad... should make for some pretty scenery tomorrow.

I also found out Rufus does NOT like snow. I put him outside and he high tails down to the old barn and hangs out there where it's dry... I wound up trekking down the hill to retrieve him and carry him back up....

....spoilt' dog.... :P
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The white stuff did not make it here but we gots plenty of rain the ground around here is saturated and if it freezes there will be ground heaves all over the place...
So no white Christmas for me
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And now Mother Nature's finished product... quite a blessing considering the dismal year it's been... Between that and the Christmas Star, I'm hoping this time be an omen of a brighter '21.

It is SO QUIET outside... with the snow, there is nobody on the highway below, no cars running, no music playing... not even the kids are out yet... all you hear is the wind howling over the mountain ridges....

I've never heard anything like it before...

20201225_084613_resize_61_compress98.jpg
20201225_084607_resize_6_compress56.jpg
20201225_084555_resize_34_compress25.jpg
20201225_084532_resize_49_compress81.jpg
-Andrea
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Hi Moon:

Beautiful scenes. Things are kind of backwards this year. Last week we got three feet of snow and now because today it is 54 degrees out with high winds and ran most of it is gone. Christmas 2020 in New England warm wet and windy. Go figure.

Dick
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:53 pmIt is SO QUIET outside... with the snow, there is nobody on the highway below, no cars running, no music playing... not even the kids are out yet... all you hear is the wind howling over the mountain ridges....

I've never heard anything like it before...
It is rather magical, is it not?

Here, like Dick mentions, it's close to 60 degrees (F, obviously), p!ssing down rain, we're under a flood watch, and expecting 50 knot winds this afternoon, There's a little bit of soggy snow left on the ground, but not much. And it's all going to freeze solid tonight.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

No snow here in York although other parts of the country have had some. Funny you should mention the pervading quiet - it's a characteristic of a good first snowfall, as if the snow itself absorbs all background sound. Also ss if even the birds have decided to stay al warm and cosy in their nests. As time goes on that quietness disappears and things return back to normal.

When I was younger winters were colder and long weeks of snow common so I do remember going to school in 12" of snow even in March. The last truly white Christmas I remember would have been in the mid-sixties.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I remember one Christmas eve distinctly in the UK, when we went out for some extra drinks, and to our surprise, it had started snowing a few hours before. Everything was white! A nice surprise. Around here, Calgary, it's been extremely mild season up till now, but earlier in the week we received about a months worth of snow in one hit. Calgary doesn't usually plow anything but the main routes, basically, the bus routes. I just walked about 5 blocks to the 7-11, and had to help push two cars out of the drifts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Moon
Merry Christmas to you and yours and a load of hope for 2021.
I am quite envious of your white Christmas, all we had was a mild frost followed by a damp cloudy day.
My own attitude to snow is unashamed love. It brings on a peace and calm to my soul that is unrivalled.
Not often but it is only in snowy conditions that I have experienced what I would consider absolute silence, bliss.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Hi Moonshadow,

Hoping that yourself, Amber and Jen had a great day.

As for snow at Christmas, that is a completely foreign concept for me, having only lived in the southern hemisphere. I do remember snow when I was younger, (Christchurch, New Zealand) from about 1975, 1976, 1988 and another really good dump (about 8" or 200mm) in August 1992.

Christmas day here was I think about 29 to 30°C (84 to 86°F). Just nice.

And yes, the total silence to be found when it's snowing. Fun trying to drive in that lot.