FINALLY... a vaccine is ready!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FINALLY... a vaccine is ready!

Post by Sinned »

Moon, you may not be effluent but then neither am I. YOU ARE NOT TRAILER TRASH SCUM. I come from a working class background, heavy steel rolling mills and the like, and am proud of that. You will be too but your intellect is well above what you described yourself. We are maybe more alike than we are different allowing for the social upbringings. I would love to meet someday and would be proud to call you my friend. So less of it, comprondre?

As for having to pay even for ER then that sucks and so much. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm Moon, you may not be effluent but then neither am I. YOU ARE NOT TRAILER TRASH SCUM. I come from a working class background, heavy steel rolling mills and the like, and am proud of that. You will be too but your intellect is well above what you described yourself. We are maybe more alike than we are different allowing for the social upbringings. I would love to meet someday and would be proud to call you my friend. So less of it, comprondre?

As for having to pay even for ER then that sucks and so much. :(
Thanks Sinned. I shouldn't have wrote that, I really need to buck up a little and stop being so glum. It's hard sometimes though.

Happenings in the world, both in the big picture and closer to home (dad) are hard to digest. I listened to a story today that make my heart ache to hear, it makes me grateful for what I have, and in a weird way made me feel a little better about society in general.

Perhaps I have been too hard on the world. I write more about that later, but suffice it to say, I was floored, and admit to being a little choked up over it... and again, this wasn't my story, but I was literally the shoulder being cried on today, and it was hard.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

A tiny bit of good news today: there is now a third vaccine in the offing and it is considerably cheaper than the other two (3 GBP per dose and 2 doses needed).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, life is so much more uncertain and I reckon will be for at least the next five years. The shake out of jobs, economic uncertainty, personal, local, national and global will take years to stabilise. Politics and families put a great deal of strain on us even when going well; when going badly, well, you know how that goes. Slough off your shoulders those things that you can't do anything about [0] and be grateful for the true blessings that you do have. MOH and I have been through some rough times and have come down on top - make the best decisions that you can under the circumstances and take things forward as best you can. C'mon buddy we all get down at times, it's how you pick yourself up that shows character. :flower:

[0] The Serenity Prayer and all that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:34 pm C'mon buddy we all get down at times, it's how you pick yourself up that shows character. :flower:
Seconded.

All together too often we are our own worst enemies when it comes to being happy, and I am a prime example of that. There are some days -- especially in the bleak mid-winter -- that I just about want to give up. Then I consider what I do have: I'm reasonably healthy (although out of shape), I have a wonderful living arrangement in a beautiful house with folks that I both like and who like me, I've still go a job (that drives me insane from time to time), and I've got financial buffers deep enough to carry me through an extended stint of unemployment if it comes to that.

Still, there's always that backdrop of a lost past that's receding into the distance to the point where "Once upon a time" seems apropos (although I've taken to using the George Lucas version: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...") and the realisation that "You can never go home." starts to bite with some force.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:34 pm Moon, life is so much more uncertain and I reckon will be for at least the next five years. The shake out of jobs, economic uncertainty, personal, local, national and global will take years to stabilise. Politics and families put a great deal of strain on us even when going well; when going badly, well, you know how that goes. Slough off your shoulders those things that you can't do anything about [0] and be grateful for the true blessings that you do have. MOH and I have been through some rough times and have come down on top - make the best decisions that you can under the circumstances and take things forward as best you can. C'mon buddy we all get down at times, it's how you pick yourself up that shows character. :flower:

[0] The Serenity Prayer and all that.
I agree. I get so tired of trying at times that I feel like giving up. The government from the local to the federal is constantly wanting more. Property taxes have increased by double twice in the last 5 years. It is getting unaffordable to live! I have never had a job that paid more than 50k a year and my current situation brings in a mere 25k a year. I almost at the point of getting an old van and living out of it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FFA, I had a role in a bank in software development which paid probably the upper end of your figures fot nearly 10 years but its the use you put to that income that made me. I was in share purchase schemes [0] which netted me enough along with savings which we were able to fund the purchase of a house which we eventually sold for a profit. In the meantime for the past 35 years I have been paying into pension schemes. I just chose the right ones. Do you get the idea? Even among this we never did without and we rarely had a loan and kept a credit card under control. Sacrifices were made, sure but we were in control. We own our own house, our cars are 15-20 years old but they do us. Our current running costs are low but at a time when we could see the world most of it is in lock down.

[0] A monthly sum is put away in a third party savings account and at the end of 3 years you get to purchase company shares at a discount. This is usually the share price at a particular date before the offer period's close less 20%. At the end of the three years you get to do what you want with them. Naturally you hope that the share price has risen and you can sell at a profit. If the price has fallen you can just take the money instead. Still am.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, if there's one thing I'll grant Russell County VA, it may be cherry red (politically) but the taxes are among the lowest I've paid in Virginia. My real estate taxes run around $275 per year, and my car taxes (personal property) run around $60 per year (combined) for both my Kia (Jax), and Jenn's Elantra (the Dolphin).

The people are generally pretty laid back too, I've actually received next to NO blowback for my choice in clothing, and people seem like they are pretty much "live and let live", they don't call the county on your for silly stuff like not mowing grass often enough, or having an untagged (junk) vehicle or two in the backyard.

Not that I do either one, but it's nice to know I could. I have been busted for junk vehicles in the past. Tall grass on the other hand has never been an issue, because I actually enjoy mowing the lawn, so it's never really been a chore to me.

Nobody complains about my cats, and in return I don't complain about their dogs. In fact I'm very friendly with pretty much all of the neighbors dogs.

Yeah, my immediate neighborhood seems pretty cool.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In all, a lot to be cheery about, Moon. Roll on the Vaccine.

I delegate the lawn mowing to MOH and our vehicle taxes are vastly more than yours..Eur 200 for my Volvo, Eur 120 for MOH's VW Camper, and that's a concession earned by having a permanent high roof, adversely affecting fuel consumption. Diesel is currently Eur 1.16/Liter, still 10-12c cheaper than petrol, so most drive turbediesels here.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:53 am In all, a lot to be cheery about, Moon. Roll on the Vaccine.

I delegate the lawn mowing to MOH and our vehicle taxes are vastly more than yours..Eur 200 for my Volvo, Eur 120 for MOH's VW Camper, and that's a concession earned by having a permanent high roof, adversely affecting fuel consumption. Diesel is currently Eur 1.16/Liter, still 10-12c cheaper than petrol, so most drive turbediesels here.

Tom
a comparison:
1020 eur/a road tax for my Citroen
about 1.20 euro/l tax on fuel average for E95-10 ( average price approx 1.85eur/l (approx 7.40 usd/gallon))
sales tax 21% luxury goods, 9% foodstuf