Gaslighting

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gaslighting

Post by Sinned »

I see that there have been two defections from the Republican party, in both cases citing Trump's continual assertions of electoral fraud as the main reason. One to become a Democrat, the other declaring Independent. Trump may do more to split the party than any other. It's early days yet. All of this appears to be going on like a soap opera, with no recourse to the electorate. It's as if the Houses are entirely detached from the rest of the country and existing in a bubble of their own. At least over here our MP's seem a bit closer to their electorate and the separation not quite so marked. It is getting there, though. Give it time as our MP's are growing their sense of importance quite well. As for the Lords, well, they're there but who knows what they really do?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Moon, I did NOT say, any more than Joe Biden has, single-payer starting January 21, 2021. I said:
  • Clean up the ACA,
    Including rejiggering the income levels at which families -- such as yours -- get SOME help with their health insurance premiums
    OFFER Medicare for all, as an OPTION!
    Adjust as needed
    Watch what supply and demand does to insurance rates
    Work on the things like standardizing coverages and claims forms (The lack of standardization adds 4x to the cost of healthcare in this country than does malpractice suits and insurance.)
    Speaking of which, jerk the medical licenses of the handful of doctors in each state who run up the lion's share of malpractice settlements. (Believe it or not, but every state that has looked into the issue has found that the critical mass of malpractice settlements are the result of the actions of about a half-dozen doctors in the given state. The rest of the claims are nickel and dime by comparison and it's rare for the bad actors to lose their medical licenses. Instead of applying "Three strikes you're out," to convicted felons maybe we should have applied it to such MD's!)
    Allow Medicare to negotiate the prices of drugs and medical devices, especially prosthetics, and let the government publish their negotiated prices.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The point being Dave, is can Democrats get what they want shoved through a Republican Senate? The answer likely "no". Trump's party likes the health-"care" industry just the way it is.

Don't think for a second Georgia is going to come through for the Democrats, the POT (party of Trump, formally known as the "GOP") is HARD AT WORK making sure what happened in November 2020 NEVER happens again.

Georgia is a red state... it just had a fluke last month.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:47 pmThe point being Dave, is can Democrats get what they want shoved through a Republican Senate? The answer likely "no". Trump's party likes the health-"care" industry just the way it is.
Wouldn't it make my point rather handily if a "Democratic"-controlled government "failed" to fix the health-care system? A proper fix of the thing is not in the cards for the general population as long as there remains money to be had (which there won't be in a couple of years' more time).

To Dave's point about the non-standardised paperwork adding such a financial burden to the system, does it not make sense for that to be the case where the intent is to keep as much money as possible and pass along as little of it as possible? With proper regulation -- or, better yet, non-profit --- there is desire to get rid of that issue; in an unregulated pure capitalistic system there is no motive whatsoever -- just charge more for the "service" so more sticks to you.
Don't think for a second Georgia is going to come through for the Democrats, the POT (party of Trump, formally known as the "GOP") is HARD AT WORK making sure what happened in November 2020 NEVER happens again.
In Proper Usage, the term "Trump" (in this context, as a brand) must precede the actual object, hence the correct usage here would be the Trump Party. The exception would be the "Church of Trump" being something that was set up to venerate something whether supported by that entity or not (e.g. "Church of Latter Day Saints").
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:40 pm
moonshadow wrote:The point being Dave, is can Democrats get what they want shoved through a Republican Senate? The answer likely "no". Trump's party likes the health-"care" industry just the way it is
Wouldn't it make my point rather handily if a "Democratic"-controlled government "failed" to fix the health-care system? A proper fix of the thing is not in the cards for the general population as long as there remains money to be had (which there won't be in a couple of years' more time).
You mean like what happened in 2008 when the Democratic party drug its feet for two years "working on" drafting a real Healthcare plan, all the while the GOP went to work spreading a bunch of lies and fear mongering that won them back control of congress in 2010 resulting in the "A.C.A."...?

Yes, I remember that debacle well, and fully expect history to repeat itself should by some twisted fate, Georgia elects two Democrats to the Senate...

Nevertheless, there is also the Supreme Court situation. I don't expect any national Healthcare program to pass the SCOTUS. It is widely believed that had F.D.R. had to contend with a high Court similar to the one we have now, there'd be no Social Security, no TVA, no other New Deal programs, and life as we know it would be vastly different.

But yes, I know it well... and such practice is typical for the Democratic party... they raise awareness of an issue, then once in office they stand down and do little to nothing, then the old GOP comes rolling back in.

Like a pendulum on a clock.... back and forth back and forth... yet nothing ever changes... same clock.. different year.
crfriend wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:40 pm In Proper Usage, the term "Trump" (in this context, as a brand) must precede the actual object, hence the correct usage here would be the Trump Party. The exception would be the "Church of Trump" being something that was set up to venerate something whether supported by that entity or not (e.g. "Church of Latter Day Saints").
True, but I rather like "POT"... it's such useful acronym.... as in "the POT always calling the kettle black", for as we know, Trumplicans are well known for their outright hypocrisy.

"POT" could also stand for "Piece of trash" which also works.

As for the Church of Trump...

I submit "Church Under Narcissist Trump"

Acronym that.... :twisted:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:11 pmYou mean like what happened in 2008 when the Democratic party drug its feet for two years "working on" drafting a real Healthcare plan, all the while the GOP went to work spreading a bunch of lies and fear mongering that won them back control of congress in 2010 resulting in the "A.C.A."...?

Yes, I remember that debacle well, and fully expect history to repeat itself should by some twisted fate, Georgia elects two Democrats to the Senate...
Oh, ho! I see somebody's been paying attention. Good. We only need about another 70 or 80 million to. (Like that's ever going to happen.)
Nevertheless, there is also the Supreme Court situation.
I posed this question to my sailing buddies in Provincetown one summer who were going to wander out in a cold rain to see RBG: "In a post-constitutional state, what role does a Supreme Court play?" It was not well received. (Trust me, nobody was in a good mood on that trip.)
[... T]he Democratic party...raise awareness of an issue, then once in office they stand down and do little to nothing, then the old GOP comes rolling back in.
Note that in the past 40 years, anything that benefits the oligarchs passes without so much as debate on the floor. Anything that would benefit the General Welfare (and, yes, that term exists in the Preamble to the Constitution) but would negatively affect the oligarchs is subject to heated "debate" and gets summarily shot down. Precisely who is calling the shots here? It doesn't matter who "controls" the legislature is a majority of them are bought and paid for.
True, but I rather like "POT"... it's such useful acronym.... as in "the POT always calling the kettle black", for as we know, Trumplicans are well known for their outright hypocrisy.

"POT" could also stand for "Piece of trash" which also works.
I'll grant that.

I recall that slightly after Trump was affirmed by the Republicans as their boy in 2016 a pal of mine, who is quite clued in by US standards, commented, "The Republicans have lost control." I was already converging on the oligarchy theory at the time and asked, "Why? His handlers can control him just fine. Assassination is a legitimate political tool at times." (I neglected the follow-on line of, "They've made him an offer he can't refuse. Capiche?" -- in a state which was once a Mafia stronghold.) I actually got yelled at for that one -- not about the method of control, but rather about the party which he was still thinking about but which I'd moved beyond. And, so far, He's toed the line and not done anything to rock the oligarchs' world; although he has royally screwed the General Welfare completely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!