MORAL, US politics this week

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MORAL, US politics this week

Post by Ray »

Tough times for you guys. I’m thinking of you. This tight race does nobody any good.

Ray
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I stayed up for a good portion of our early hours to see the fiasco played out and was saddened as a result. If it all ends up in the Supreme Court once again then I have to say that the Electoral College seems to have outlived its usefulness as an attempt to produce a definite result [0] and any respect I had for your "democratic process" will have disappeared down the proverbial toilet. This is the worst possible result and only benefits the legal personnel. Good luck, guys, I think that you are going to need it.

[0] There must be a better methodology in this modern age? It seems that every election is close and is determined by a small number of votes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:39 pmI'm glad you said it. I said something similar on my last post but edited it out as I got nervous posting something like that in what is about to become a national situation rivaling 1930s Germany.
I've been comparing the modern United States to 1930s Germany and to modern Russia for years, and once folks actually start to pay attention they start to see the parallels. And usually don't like what they see -- and realise that they are powerless to stop it no matter how they vote.

It's time. External intervention is now required.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:51 pm It's time. External intervention is now required.
A fair notion, but who has the power to pull it off? Most likely the only arrangement with the raw power to put the U.S. in line would be a collaboration between Russia and China, and they're not exactly the direction I think we want to go.

Better the U.S. to be reabsorbed into the British Empire? But the U.K. alone couldn't pull that off, nor do I figure the Brits want to share legislative power with their "retarded cousins" east of the Atlantic.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, forget that thought. The UK hasn't for a long time the sort of political power we once had. True, we have for a long time punched well above our weight for the size of our island but us administer an affiliation of states that would probably fragment at the earliest opportunity? Perish the thought. Yugghh.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:54 pm Perish the thought. Yugghh.
Thought perished! :wink:

Yeah, I knew that would never happen.

What was that old internet joke...

"The U.S. according to Canada, like living in an apartment above a meth house!" :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

All the same Dennis, if you happen to see her Magesty, kindly put in a good word for us here in the old Dominion. (Virginia)

Williamsburg is exactly as you all left it! :wink:
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Damn.... I may stand corrected... they've called Michigan, and it may come down to Nevada. Their measly little six electoral votes would be enough to put Biden at 270.... right. on. the. wire.

Though Trump won't concede. He'll fight it all the way .. like I told Jenn this morning, he'll either win legitimately or he'll steal it, but one way or another Trump is our dictator. He'll probably crown himself King after this.

50% of the population already claims he's a living God.
-Andrea
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:43 pm Let me just say... if Trump wins LEGITIMATELY, then I WILL ACCEPT AND RESPECT IT...

If he steals it... all bets are off!
But Trump is now emailing all his supporters (don't ask how I got on that list!) that the Democrats are trying to steal the election from him!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:22 pmBut Trump is now emailing all his supporters (don't ask how I got on that list!) that the Democrats are trying to steal the election from him!
This, however, misses the entire point -- that the Democrats and the Republicans are in the pay of the same party. There is precisely zero difference between the two. Zilch. Nada. Null.

Until the electorate get that concept down there is no hope -- and I suspect that at this point all hope is lost. Hence my plea to the civilised world. We (the US) cannot end the madness for ourselves, but at least the rest of the planet should stand up, unite, and do something to protect themselves.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Well, he’s an unhinged loony so I’m not surprised.

Come on, Republicans! You can find a better candidate than this one!

That’s the thing about not being American. We don’t really care about the party. They are centre-right, and far right! We do care about the leaders though. They have global influence.

That’s why I liked Reagan in term 1, Clinton in term 1. Obama was flawed, but what a statesman. I still really admire him as a person. GW Bush was terrible, I thought. He now looks like a wise Elder having seen the incumbent president. I didn’t like him at all at the time; shorn of his role, he comes across as a genuine guy.

I’ve said enough about the Orange One.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:24 pm I was hoping for a landslide -- one way or the other -- but what we've got is another of these razor-thin fits of idiocy that are destroying the fabric of the nation (and it was in a pretty bad state of tatters beforehand).
I wasn't the least bit surprised over Trumps influence, I've witnessed the man literally form a new religion, with him at the God head. I don't know how people are up in New England, but here in the south, he's bigger than Jesus. You can't fight that. He's not just the president, he's not just a man, to locals here he is the most enlightened, cherished, virtuous, honest, and all around greatest man to ever walk the Earth.

There is nothing he can do or say to lose that support.
-Andrea
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A modern day "Music Man" charleton running the US government as an extended episode of the "Apprentice" !

Just a few more votes - the lawyers - the lawsuits - and then it will be over -

Well maybe it will be over but then ?
Will we ever be civil and united ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 pm
This, however, misses the entire point -- that the Democrats and the Republicans are in the pay of the same party. There is precisely zero difference between the two. Zilch. Nada. Null.
Parties run on money, so, of course, both parties represent the interests of those with money. However the environmental policies of the two parties are significantly different, they will deal with the pandemic differently, and one party will respect Social Security and Medicare more than the other. These are real-world differences.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Amen to that Jim.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.