MORAL, US politics this week

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MORAL, US politics this week

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Rode,

As the fine piece of commentary that Dennis shared points out, the decline in America's ethos began in the Reagan Administration during the 1980's so Donald Trump's Administration is the culmination of a process that's been in motion for decades. On the bright side is the fact that Joe Biden not only secured the most votes for a Presidential candidate in the 2020 race, he received the majority of the votes. In the 20th century (perhaps in the United States's whole history) this has been a rare achievement.

The US Military has an absolute dedication to subservience to legal federal government authority. Consequently, until Noon (EST) January 20, 2021 they will deploy to wherever Donald J. Trump sends them. However, as the largest and most capable military on the planet it is incredibly muscle-bound. Consider the first Iraq War. For the first month or two the Department of Defense announced the arrival of "forward elements" of any number of US Army divisions and Air Force Fighter and Bomber Groups, but when you dug into those reports, the total number of American service people in-theater were less than 10,000. Puzzling to even a retired colonel I knew at the time who couldn't figure out what was going on until he read the fine print.

If there was something illegal in the way a President were to order troops into action, then their commanders not only would have the option, but probably the duty of refusing the order. Otherwise, they have to go. But like I said, before the US Military could mobilize to launch a full-scale war, Joseph Biden would have been -- as required by the Constitution -- sworn in as the President of the US. At that point our military will be under the command of President Biden, even if the first order he has to give is to evict Trump and his family from the White House. Which they would be duty- and honor-bound to do because the oath they take at induction is to "uphold and defend the Constitution."

As to the updates of the "operating system" of the US Constitution, the most recent Amendment was ratified in 1992. Interestingly, it was originally proposed in 1789, along with 11 others. the 10 that passed by 1791 have come to be known as the Bill of Rights. So, we haven't done too badly in keeping it up-to-date. The most notable exception is, of course, that peculiar institution known as the Electoral College.

The mythology we were taught in the middle school grades was that it was an ingenious mechanism for balancing out the influence of the large and small population states. Not exactly, it was a last minute compromise made to get a Constitution completed and agreed upon that probably pleased no one. An analog is the original requirement that Senators be chosen by the respective states' legislatures. In the early 20th century the US Constitution was amended to provide for direct election of Senators. Directly electing the President, I feel, would simply be the next logical step in that process of perfecting our experiment in representative democracy.

At that point the states with the smaller populations, including our largest state, Alaska, would still have the great equalizer of the US Senate.

Finally, nearly all of our Senators and Congressmen and -women recognize that our system has broken down along party lines; it's just that very few will go on record saying so and fewer yet will do anything to change things.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 'Tons of Cash': morality in politics this week

Post by Faldaguy »

The concerns with morality or ethics in politics is universal, but the staggering size of offences varies by location, and the current US Administration has got to be one of the most heinous abusers of power ever. I thought you might be interested in this article that just touches the corner of what Trump has done to enrich himself -- this time massively at the expense of his supporters. His practice of deception in the use of funding sources has been known to those who took even a brief moment to investigate, for decades...but yet today millions are anxious to stuff his pockets with their hard earned dollars -- and there is little or no protection for those who have been duped. How long will people be willing blind to this man's lack of any moral compass that does not lead to his own aggrandizement?

https://www.startribune.com/trump-s-fut ... 73433061/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 'Tons of Cash': morality in politics this week

Post by r.m.anderson »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 pm The concerns with morality or ethics in politics is universal, but the staggering size of offences varies by location, and the current US Administration has got to be one of the most heinous abusers of power ever. I thought you might be interested in this article that just touches the corner of what Trump has done to enrich himself -- this time massively at the expense of his supporters. His practice of deception in the use of funding sources has been known to those who took even a brief moment to investigate, for decades...but yet today millions are anxious to stuff his pockets with their hard earned dollars -- and there is little or no protection for those who have been duped. How long will people be willing blind to this man's lack of any moral compass that does not lead to his own aggrandizement?

https://www.startribune.com/trump-s-fut ... 73433061/
The closing paragraph in that newspaper article says it all:

"There's no bully pulpit as large as the presidency, but nevertheless, President Trump is likely to play a significant role in the future of the Republican Party," said Whit Ayres, a Republican pollster. "It's very difficult to imagine him following the same pattern as George W. Bush, Barack Obama and other presidents have followed in keeping their mouths shut and letting the new president try to govern."

Especially that last line:

"It's very difficult to imagine him following the same pattern as George W. Bush, Barack Obama and other presidents have followed in keeping their mouths shut and letting the new president try to govern.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The link is behind a paywall... no go for me.

As for Trump. The damage he's inflicted on American culture will take several generations to undo, if it ever does.

The media seems to be gradually shuffling him to the back pages (perhaps with the intent to eventually ignore him all together).

Last I heard he's still obsessing over this election, and has basically ceased actually doing anything remotely "presidential" for a good while now.

In the mean time, Biden has stepped up to the plate, and like him or not... at least he's leading... at least he's making an effort.

Even the "TRUMP" fanfare is starting to thin out around my region, and that's saying something, considering these folks pretty much crowned him "King of Kings".

Yep... he seems to be really licking his wounds. I'm a little surprised he hasn't declared himself "the reason for the season"...

Trumpmass anyone? :twisted:

Anyway, 2021 I resolve to de-Trumpify my life. In fact I'm working on a soft start right now. I accept that he will be a fussy little b!tch for the rest of his life. I accept he is the center of the new American Religion.

I don't have to participate.

"They're animals anyway, let them sell their souls..."

-The Godfather :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, Moon. News about Trump has virtually faded into nothing. Nowt about any of His recent rants or anything. Maybe a sign of His growing insignificance as far as over here is concerned. It seems to me that He has sunk into a pit of His own making agonising about lies that He now fervently believes are true. He's convinced Himself and is so preoccupied that He is not doing anything, which is probably a good thing as He can't be doing any damage. One more day that goes by with no news is one more good day.

In the meantime we are all in some lockdown of varying severity. York is tier 2, or is it 3. Whatever, nothing really seems anything different. I go to work, we can go to the supermarket, we can see our children and grandchildren. Life goes on and none of us are ill or suffering. Life generally is goodish.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.