The Year 2020

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Year 2020

Post by Faldaguy »

denimini » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:53 am

It's not all bad, some things below "that could not possibly happen" before COVID:
we can now order prescriptions by email (earlier we had been given so many reasons why this was not possible)
it is possible for many to work at home if they want to (earlier we had been given so many reasons why this was not possible)
bicycles are more popular than ever before and an associated increase in health and fitness
there has been less road accidents (motor vehicle reapairers are feeling it though, perhaps they could restore old train carriages)
the Australian population growth is stabilising (infinite growth is not logical or sustainable)
we are adapting to no economic growth (infinite growth is not logical or sustainable)
people are shopping locally
the air has been cleaner than for decades in many cities
people out of work are being paid enough to survive on (bring on the citizen's income)
There are plenty more. I hope that we learn something and don't totally "snap back" to the same old or we may have problems even greater than COVID on the future.

No doubt there are some who may disagree with this opinion ................. please do so politely.
Indeed you seem to have sparked a few replies, pro and con; and some more thoughtful looks at the "silver lining" every cloud is said to have. Thank you--we need to use these opportunities to envision futures that are healthier, happier, and sustainable and get what benefit we can from the crisis. Given there are a number of man-made aspects to how it all came about; we indeed have an opportunity to see what man-made changes may move us into a better space. The ideas will be conflicting, and the temptations to just "revert" to the old ways will be great, but short-sighted. You have already sparked comments I could easily say "amen" to, and some that don't resonate for me -- but the discussion, (if done so "politely" as you requested) can be entertaining, enlightening, and enthusiastic? For me, living in a 'second/third' world country, in an area with an unhealthy reliance upon tourism -- the "solutions" may be different than yours. I've learned heaps from living in several countries and encourage us to keep in mind that our perspectives may not carry over as easily to all other locations -- but the differences are often the point at which we learn the most. Keep the ideas coming guys!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Dust wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:58 pm I was under the impression that shopping has moved online due to Covid-19, not more local. I'm not sure why it would get more local, anyway.
That is true that online shopping has increased, something that was happening but now at a faster rate. Good or bad, businesses will learn to adapt, perhaps to their benefit.
The local shopping was related to the fact that many people were going to their local small businesses for supplies as a safer option to the big complexes. Also in some "hot spots" there was a restriction to how far people could travel from their home.
Dust wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:58 pm I think other positives coming out of this would have to include families spending more time together, and reassessment of priorities on the part of so many.
That is definitely a good one.
Dust wrote: We should not be cheering the demise of the human race.
No, although we might bring it upon ourselves without any cheering.
Australia is known as the driest continent (and could get a lot drier) and can not support the population densities of some countries.
Dust wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:58 pm I don't know that much about how this is going in Australia, but from the sounds of it, the measures taken in the name of containing this disease have been rather draconian. You all have my sympathy and prayers.
Thanks, things have been tough for many ............ although not as bad as dying. While there is life, there is hope.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Dust wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:58 pm I was under the impression that shopping has moved online due to Covid-19, not more local. I'm not sure why it would get more local, anyway.
Working from home,
There's your answer.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

pelmut » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am

Dust wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:58 pm
I was under the impression that shopping has moved online due to Covid-19, not more local. I'm not sure why it would get more local, anyway.
Working from home,
There's your answer.
Here, there has been a tremendous effort, and an almost natural response, to "shop locally" -- as a way to keep what money there is circulating in the community and helping one another through the hard times. Many folk have turned to making some specialty food for sale in local farmer's fair, store or exchange. This may be the exception, being a small village (zone) -- but making work for one another is seen as the right thing to do. The private school our Meeting runs has traded tuition credits for all kinds of work-in-kind. Our 'science study institute' has provided trees for planting in exchange for food baskets. I almost feel guilty if I buy something online, or even spend money unnecessarily at this time; instead, we've put some discretionary funds into some home projects and landscape that has employed local labor and made donations to our community fund that oversees a lot of projects to develop needed resources and work. Frankly, a great deal of long-term benefit can be had by 'buying local'. Why in God's name should I buy jam from Germany, transported thousands of miles, when I can get perfectly wonderful jam from my neighbor, or at least made within a few miles?