Crossing 70 & headed towards 80

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Crossing 70 & headed towards 80

Post by Uncle Al »

I asked a friend who has crossed 70 & is heading towards 80 what sort of changes
he is feeling in himself?

He sent me the following:
1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children and my friends,
I have now started loving myself.
2 I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.
3 I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few pennies more
is not going to break me, but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s
school fees.
4 I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face.
She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.
5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times.
The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past.
6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus
of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.
7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only
for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment,
never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You.”
8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt.
Personality speaks louder than appearances.
9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.
10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat &
neither am I in any race.
11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that
make me human.
12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship.
My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships, I will never be alone.
13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.
14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe
it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!
I decided to share this for all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 60 or 70 or 80,
why can't we practice this at any stage and age?

I borrowed this. I don't know who to credit it to, but thank you!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Crossing 70 & headed towards 80

Post by denimini »

A lot of those points make good sense. Does this come from increased wisdom, impatience or a feeling of running out of time and not wasting what is left?
Some of it reminds me of people I have known, my mother included, making huge improvements to their life style after being diagnosed with cancer. It is sad that we don't make these sort of life choices when we are younger or healthy.
I am glad that in my 60's I overcame the worry of what people thought about me; I wish I had got over it when I was in my teens.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As I have gotten older and financially secure I find that being a bit more liberal with what I have adds to my own and other people's enjoyment. The other day one of my colleagues was making a purchase and I had already rung it up on the till when she found that she had left her purse at home. I said that I would pay on my card and she could pay me back later. She resisted until I firmly said for her to let me pay and do an act of kindness. So I paid. Later, in a quiet moment, I said to her that I had seen her do things for others and sometimes it's just as important to let others do things for you. It makes them feel better and knowing that you had allowed them to feel better you feel better yourself. All of the points make sense and, without realising it, I have come to the same conclusions myself. Thank you UA for sharing that piece.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Al, I have seen this before and it makes even more sense as I grow older (nearing my 78th).

Thank You for posting it!!!

Fred :mrgreen:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

What a wonderful post, Uncle Al. It should be put up like the 'Cider House Rules' on a prominent surface in every kitchen/family room Nationwide/ Worldwide.

But it smacks of you mellowing in your old age, Al :?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Thanks Uncle Al: Good thoughtful post for old or young!

Sinned » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am As I have gotten older and financially secure I find that being a bit more liberal with what I have adds to my own and other people's enjoyment. The other day one of my colleagues was making a purchase and I had already rung it up on the till when she found that she had left her purse at home. I said that I would pay on my card and she could pay me back later. She resisted until I firmly said for her to let me pay and do an act of kindness. So I paid. Later, in a quiet moment, I said to her that I had seen her do things for others and sometimes it's just as important to let others do things for you. It makes them feel better and knowing that you had allowed them to feel better you feel better yourself. All of the points make sense and, without realising it, I have come to the same conclusions myself.
Sometimes when generosity makes a recipient uneasy, you can usually add -- "just pay it forward when you have the opportunity" ' a bit of kindness makes the medicine go down'...