Don't Worry!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Don't Worry!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

people think.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Don't Worry!

Post by Spirou003 »

So true!
No, I'm not talking about myself... :whistle:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One needs to be rather careful with that assertion. Every so often you will run into somebody who can -- and does -- think for themselves. They still exist.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....and they're blxxdy good at chess, like our Forum contributor Mugs & such!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Kirbstone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:55 pm

....and they're blxxdy good at chess, like our Forum contributor Mugs & such!
Am I missing something here? I've been a wood-pusher for over 60 years....always happy to find another; or my substitute -- teaching kids at local schools and a community game room I started just before CV-19 hit, so not sure how that is going to pan out. Other's on this forum, or...just a cliche comment? Chess, aka: Alzheimer's Prevention League!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi FG.
On <chess.com> I have games running all the time with 'Gummug', which is his ID on that forum.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:23 amOn <chess.com> I have games running all the time with 'Gummug', which is his ID on that forum.
Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in ages! How is Gary doing?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Carl,

Re: Gary hart.....I wouldn't really know, other than to enjoy our 'conversations' in the chat section adjacent to each game on Chess.com. He's 69 now, bachelor and into foreign languages, European and far Eastern. Likes cats, must still wear skirts occasionally, but reading between his lines, his time is his own and he does what he likes. Of our chess games I only manage to win the odd one against him when he makes a rare mistake.

Tom
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Unread post by Kirbstone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Carl,

Re: Gary hart.....I wouldn't really know, other than to enjoy our 'conversations' in the chat section adjacent to each game on Chess.com. He's 69 now, bachelor and into foreign languages, European and far Eastern. Likes cats, must still wear skirts occasionally, but reading between his lines, his time is his own and he does what he likes. Of our chess games I only manage to win the odd one against him when he makes a rare mistake.

Tom
I'll have to check this out; one of my students convinced me to join recently despite my preference for in-person games (easier to play the psychological game that way!) ---- despite having once kept about 30 postal chess games (post cards in the day) going simultaneously. Anyway, Kirbstone, your line reminds me of the old cliche joke when visitors are impressed when I'm playing with my dog (think he is so smart) but of course I must remind them he only wins about 1 in 5! :wink:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I was introduced to Chess by by eldest bro. (6 years my senior) as a child. At boarding school I joined the chess league and eventually became runner-up, losing a final match watched by a lot of schoolmates. As a student I played only occasionally as very few of my then social contacts played.

Nowadays I get only rare games against visiting family members, so Chess.com gives me a selection of opponents from all over the Globe, but having 'peaked' in 2008, my scores have decreased since then, so my 'rating' has fallen considerably.

Tom
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Tom wrote: Nowadays I get only rare games against visiting family members, so Chess.com gives me a selection of opponents from all over the Globe, but having 'peaked' in 2008, my scores have decreased since then, so my 'rating' has fallen considerably.
Ratings :shock: : , again after all these years -- that might be like Shock Therapy-- not good. Instead, I boost my ego by teaching beginners! We had two just turned teen twin girls here today with their Mom for an introduction to the game -- a bit of fun with my very low rated Spanish; and their only slight better English! Google Fi Translate to the rescue. And yes, we did play on the open patio, socially distanced, with masks -- I made a 100 x 120cm table for two regulation tournament boards and ample room for their piece, drinks, and pastry -- worked fairly well.

I put the word out and it was surprising how many folks came out of the woodwork to say they too were wood-pushers, so there is usually a game about if one wishes. Not like the stands on Kalamaka Ave along Waikiki beach, but easier on my ego.

I do mini-courses at the local schools as it has become fairly universally accepted that Chess Programs in Schools have many positive impacts -- even on language skills. And it is surprising how many compliments I get on my skirts, as opposed to my chess instruction -- art teachers, and others, but often the art or drama instructors really like the message of a man in a skirt to broaden the kids horizons. One school ostensibly had a "dress code" that would have prohibited males in skirts -- which I flat out ignored, and so did they when I showed up -- maybe because I offer my classes for free? Anyway, loads of fun to be had--on 64 squares, in a skirt-- or both. :)

PS: You gave me Gary's handle, how about yours? [At the moment I can't remember what name I used to sign up] -- have to check my cheat sheet and get back to you.