It's all about "sex"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Locked
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Ray »

Jenn

Saddened to hear of your experiences - and those of Moon.

Parents / in-laws can have the most intransigent views - and they won’t care if it upsets you. My father, while he’s politically aligned with me, has views on things that I find disturbing.

Keep strong, both of you. I’m a big admirer of you both for your passion and authenticity.
User avatar
JennC03
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 675
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by JennC03 »

Ray wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Jenn

Saddened to hear of your experiences - and those of Moon.

Parents / in-laws can have the most intransigent views - and they won’t care if it upsets you. My father, while he’s politically aligned with me, has views on things that I find disturbing.

Keep strong, both of you. I’m a big admirer of you both for your passion and authenticity.
Thank you Ray God Bless you.I don't back down I know people support Trump thats fine but my Father in law is so far gone there's no getting him back.No before anyone assumes you need to seriously meet his dad you'll understand even as a Trump supporter you'd literally cry.The man's miserable and it's just sad.
¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆Have a wonderful day! ☆•*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* * It's good to look at those we love with fresh eyes whenever we can to remind us how lucky we are to have their light in our lives.
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

pelmut wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:11 pm
oldsalt1 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am
Maybe if you read something besides your left leaning liberal rags you might get a truer picture of what is going on in the world
I don't know how many times we need to repeat this before you understand it: we are not basing our opinions on the opinions of the press, we are basing them on the facts the press present to us.  It doesn't matter what bias the journalists have, the facts in their reports can easily be verified by cross-checking with a number of other reports.
The problem is that the "Facts "that you are reading are reported in a manor that supports the bias of the media that is presenting them.

You say that you take the facts presented and form your own opinion. That's great but if you are only getting facts from one side of the story no matter how fair and impartial you are trying to be . you never get a true picture
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by pelmut »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:58 am
You say that you take the facts presented and form your own opinion. That's great but if you are only getting facts from one side of the story no matter how fair and impartial you are trying to be . you never get a true picture
I have repeatedly asked you to tell me if any of the facts are untrue and to supply me with with the facts that support the other side, but you have only replied with further accusations of bias and directed me towards opinions.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
User avatar
Jim
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 970
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Northern Illinois, USA

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Jim »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:58 am

The problem is that the "Facts "that you are reading are reported in a manor that supports the bias of the media that is presenting them.

You say that you take the facts presented and form your own opinion. That's great but if you are only getting facts from one side of the story no matter how fair and impartial you are trying to be . you never get a true picture
This is a valuable piece of advice for people on all sides. I also recommend reading sources from the right, the left, and the corporate middle.
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11633
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:58 am
The problem is that the "Facts "that you are reading are reported in a manor that supports the bias of the media that is presenting them.
The nice thing about facts is that they tend to have lives of their own and stand erect on their own irrespective of the editorial dross surrounding them. One can find the same facts reported in both the New York Times and on Fox "News" if one is willing to put up with the other noise. And enough facts aggregated from enough sources and wiped clean of editorial excrement allow the astute to draw their own conclusion of events.

Of course, most folks don't do that sort of field work for many reasons, but the primary one is laziness -- and the price of that is astonishing.
You say that you take the facts presented and form your own opinion. That's great but if you are only getting facts from one side of the story no matter how fair and impartial you are trying to be . you never get a true picture
Read the above again and then think about what you've read. If still unclear, repeat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:Of course, most folks don't do that sort of field work for many reasons, but the primary one is laziness -- and the price of that is astonishing.
I can read your post a dozen times the above is the end result .. People do not do the field work as a result they ending believing what they read the most of. If all you hear is left wing bias garbage eventually you will believe it.
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11633
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:50 pm
People do not do the field work as a result they ending believing what they read the most of. If all you hear is left wing bias garbage eventually you will believe it.
Then explain how it is when I occasionally trawl through right-wing neocon literature and derive the same signal as when I'm wading through left-wing literature.

And please stop calling any source that isn't directly sanctioned by the CoT as "garbage". That marks you powerfully, especially since you insist on using coded terms.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Ray »

Dan

We all see the press coverage of Trump. we hear the drivel that spews from his mouth. It requires no biased news anchorman (or woman) to spin the story. Trump allows us to judge merely by what he says and how he says it.

I can assure you that the BBC is not "garbage"; we still see Trump's idiocy presented there, at uncounted press conferences, speeches, tweets, actions. None require someone with a sneering overview to hoodwink us. Nobody needs to damn Trump. He does it himself.

The right wing press in the UK also think he's deranged. The right wing, not the left. What do you say to that?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5004
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by moonshadow »

So tell me Dan,

Where do you get your facts?

Because when it comes to the type of person Trump is compared to, let's say his so called alliance with the far religious right, I get my facts from three undisputed sources, 1) what he actually writes on his Twitter account, and 2) what I observe him actually say in live unedited news conferences. This rhetoric is highly contrary to what I have personally read in 3) the bible I have owned for many may years, in addition to the overall message of Christian virtue taught to me since childhood, often by the very same people who left the Church founded on the principles and virtues of Jesus Christ and joined the Church of Trump.

I have encyclopedias.... no not online like Wikipedia, but actual text books and I can read, I can study up on the situation of 1930s Europe and see the alarming trends here today in 2020.

And no, I can't source what I'm about to say as I have not personally verified the legal citizenship status of every liberal Democrat in America, but I've got a hunch that most of them are indeed card carrying American citizens, and with that in mind, I have actually observed Trump in his own style and rhetoric casually disregard that entire segment of the population.

I don't know what's on CNN, or MSNBC, of the Times, or any of these other "liberal rags" you rant about... I've never tuned into them. In fact recently while at the laundry mat in town, CNN was tuned into the television, and I switched it off as it was distracting me while I was reading a book.

So again I ask... what are your sources?

Because while we're sourcing things, here's a little snippet from the that book 45 likes to hold up so proudly...

Proverbs 11 ►

The Folly of Wickedness
1Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord,
But a just weight is His delight.

2When pride comes, then comes shame;
But with the humble is wisdom.

3The integrity of the upright will guide them,
But the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them.

4Riches do not profit in the day of wrath,
But righteousness delivers from death.

5The righteousness of the blameless will
direct his way aright,
But the wicked will fall by his own wickedness.

6The righteousness of the upright will deliver them,
But the unfaithful will be caught by their lust.

7When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish,
And the hope of the unjust perishes.

8The righteous is delivered from trouble,
And it comes to the wicked instead.

9The hypocrite with his mouth destroys his neighbor,
But through knowledge the righteous will be delivered.

10When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices;
And when the wicked perish, there is jubilation.

11By the blessing of the upright the city is exalted,
But it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked.

12He who is devoid of wisdom despises his neighbor,
But a man of understanding holds his peace.

13A talebearer reveals secrets,
But he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter.

14Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

15He who is surety for a stranger will suffer,
But one who hates being surety is secure.

16A gracious woman retains honor,
But ruthless men retain riches.

17The merciful man does good for his own soul,
But he who is cruel troubles his own flesh.

18The wicked man does deceptive work,
But he who sows righteousness will have a sure reward.

19As righteousness leads to life,
So he who pursues evil pursues it to his own death.

20Those who are of a perverse heart are an abomination to the Lord,
But the blameless in their ways are His delight.

21Though they join]forces, the wicked will not go unpunished;
But the posterity of the righteous will be delivered.

22As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout,
So is a lovely woman who lacks discretion.

23The desire of the righteous is only good,
But the expectation of the wicked is wrath.

24There is one who scatters, yet increases more;
And there is one who withholds more than is right,
But it leads to poverty.

25The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.

26The people will curse him who withholds grain,
But blessing will be on the head of him who sells it.

27He who earnestly seeks good finds favor,
But trouble will come to him who seeks evil.

28He who trusts in his riches will fall,
But the righteous will flourish like foliage.

29He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind,
And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.

30The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
And he who wins souls is wise.

31If the righteous will be recompensed on the earth,
How much more the ungodly and the sinner.


As an agnostic I generally don't like to quote scripture when making a point, but I feel sometimes Trump and his supporters could use a refresher on the religion they are so willing to codify into law...

Oh... and check the textbook dictionary definition on socialism while you're fact checking....
User avatar
JennC03
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 675
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by JennC03 »

The fact is Dan gets his information from the news he condemns us all for watching because if he didn't he wouldn't hesitate in saying where his sources come from problem is he would be the pot calling the kettle black and we all know we can't have that.
¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆Have a wonderful day! ☆•*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* * It's good to look at those we love with fresh eyes whenever we can to remind us how lucky we are to have their light in our lives.
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4257
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Sinned »

Dan, Trump is supposed to be a billionaire. Hard to verify but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Thus any salary he would get from being President would be mere chicken feed to him. Admittedly Boris isn't short of a bob or two but he's nowhere in Trump's league. But at least Boris is doing a better job than Trump. If I were Trump I'd frankly be ashamed to take money for the lousy job that he's doing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
User avatar
JennC03
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 675
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lebanon, Virginia

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by JennC03 »

Sinned wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:40 pm
Dan, Trump is supposed to be a billionaire. Hard to verify but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Thus any salary he would get from being President would be mere chicken feed to him. Admittedly Boris isn't short of a bob or two but he's nowhere in Trump's league. But at least Boris is doing a better job than Trump. If I were Trump I'd frankly be ashamed to take money for the lousy job that he's doing.


It doesn't matter that he's a billionaire he's not taking his salary because he's taxing the hell out of the American people and that's how he's getting his money.He's taking it from hard working people.
¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆Have a wonderful day! ☆•*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* * It's good to look at those we love with fresh eyes whenever we can to remind us how lucky we are to have their light in our lives.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5004
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by moonshadow »

An interesting notion I've been toying with is that in many ways oldsalt... is a liberal, at least in certain aspects. He wouldn't be here [on skirtcafe] donning high heels, short dresses and skirts if he wasn't.

The simple fact of the matter, the conservative American believes in the preservation of certain western cultural norms. Particularly of where we were in the 1950s, when men dressed acted like men, women dressed and acted like women, and minorities knew and stayed in their place.

I don't think oldsalt would agree with any of that. I'm sure he supports equal treatment under the law for blacks, and I figure he supports women's rights and men's rights too. Correct me if I'm wrong?

He's a liberal.

Smashing out store front windows doesn't make someone a liberal no more than a cop using unnecessary force to kill a black man makes him a conservative.

The former is a hell raiser and the latter is a murderer. But we can not ascertain whether either sits on the lib/con spectrum on that criteria alone.

If you support men's fashion freedom, then in that instance, you're a liberal. You will be mocked by conservatives, because back in the day... "men were men- by god"
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Ray »

Good points, Moon. Lots of grey between the black and white of labelling.
Locked