It's all about "sex"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Post Reply
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Faldaguy »

Pelmut asked:
O.K. Does anyone have any further news of the effect of the Supreme Court's decision preventing discrimination on the grounds of sex? Has it been used to support any cases of unfair dismissal or to prevent the implementation of the policy of sacking trangender people from the military -- or are these early days yet?
Yes, in terms of court actions these things take an eon to be applied, and will still likely get appealed before we see any coalescence. And, there are always a bunch of tangled legal cases that will either be appealed or ruled upon a very narrow technicality -- kind of like the current appeal of the "Obamacare" provisions the WH/DOJ have take to the Supreme court.

Ralph
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 pm
Then why.... why for the love of God do they STILL plan to give that man a vote??? Can't your friends see through his charade? Do you really think he carries the so called "holy spirit" in his heart? Do you really think he gives a rats ass about abortions? Do you think he really cares about your God or your evangelicalism? Do you honestly think he was sent by God? Do you think he really cares about your children, your grandchildren, etc.
I can't answer for them, because I have no intention of voting for him. But based on conversations I've had with them, remaining support boils down to one or more of these factors:
  • He's not a Democrat
  • His obnoxious tweets are less important than the "great" things he has done for economy/security/whatever
  • The news media either exaggerate his wrongdoings or make them up entirely
  • They believe the hype produced by Trump and his PR juggernaut
I was going to write a brilliant summary of cognitive dissonance and how a hardcore believer in something will do just about anything to eliminate or minimize evidence which contradicts those beliefs, but it turns out the Washington Post already said for me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html
Ralph!

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11375
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:27 pm
I was going to write a brilliant summary of cognitive dissonance and how a hardcore believer in something will do just about anything to eliminate or minimize evidence which contradicts those beliefs, but it turns out the Washington Post already said for me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html
Sadly the Washington Post hides behind a pay-wall and a blizzard of tracking apps that render it unusable to anyone who cares about his privacy. Pity the article will go unread by millions, because the tagline was pretty compelling.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Faldaguy »

Above in reply to the question about if the new SC decisions were being applied ---"O.K. Does anyone have any further news of the effect of the Supreme Court's decision preventing discrimination on the grounds of sex? Has it been used to support any cases of unfair dismissal or to prevent the implementation of the policy of sacking trangender people from the military -- or are these early days yet?"

I responded with a perhaps too quick and only partial answer suggesting it would take some time to wend through the courts -- BUT, folks like HUD under Trump directors can implement all kinds of questionable rules that can circumvent the intent of the court's ruling. Herein is a link to such an implementation:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/7/2 ... ans-people

User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

Faldaguy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:30 pm
To Pelmut; MrSoapsud; Sinned, et al: It is useless to try to argue logic, or even clearly established facts with Trump or his 'base'. It is like trying to use logic when talking to someone who is certifiable insane or flying on drugs -- it just does not work; you are wasting your breathe and energy, and probably only provoking them, confirming in their mind all the "deep State" and conspiracy theories oft attributed to the 'left and that the nasty media' are out to get Trump. These are mostly desperate, hurting, impoverished folks, sometimes just dolts...(and if you can talk in person you will find many are concerned about similar issues, but have different routes to resolution, often arising out of their fears)--but I doubt we do this forum much good to argue it amongst ourselves. There are more constructive endeavors we can pursue here, with fewer sparks! Scaling K2 in a skirt would be easier!

So let me get this straight if I support President Trump I am a desperate hurting impoverished dolt

So Faldaguy as an desperate hurting impoverished dolt let me say go **** yourself

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11375
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

WARNING and NOTE: This is written from a personal perspective and not as an editorial statement of what Skirt Cafe is.

My editorial stance remains unchanged.
oldsalt1 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:05 am
So let me get this straight if I support President Trump I am a desperate hurting impoverished dolt
No, you've been suckered in. Pure and simple.

I'm part of the 52 percent of the US population who voted against the current incumbent who only "won" the thing on an entirely obsolete remnant of the 18th Century setup and by assiduous gerrymandering of political districts. And I didn't vote for "Crooked" Hillary, either -- I voted for the Greens because they were the least toxic of the bunch.

To the members of the Church of Trump, I can only say this: The current incumbent has produced a body of work through video recordings, twits, e-mails, sound-bites, and policies that makes him readily recogniseable as, at best, a narcissistic man-child with a vastly sub-par IQ and who suffers from a profound lack of proper parenting. His own comments expose him as a philanderer (at best, and a sexual predator at worst) and a racist. His policies have entirely disgraced the office he holds and the nation as a whole. In short, this clown is a brown smudge on the backside of humanity.
So Faldaguy as an desperate hurting impoverished dolt let me say go **** yourself
And to the membership of the Church of Trump, you can do the same.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

User avatar
Uncle Al
Moderator
Posts: 2654
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 pm
Location: Duncanville, TX USA

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Uncle Al »

OK - I'm going to throw a curve ball here.....

When I first read the title of this thread, a 'Uh-hemm' thought came to mind.

"It's all about "SEX" " and I, mentally, finished it by adding 'or lack there of'.

:hide:

So, can we lighten up a bit people :?:
This 'rabbit hole' is getting bigger by the moment.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-2020(and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)

User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

The financial problems that the pandemic is causing are terrible. Under President Trump we will recover.

Going back before cov19 I would like to ask if any member of the café that has a 401k IRA or other funded retirement didn't look at his financials and say boy things are good

Its funny President Trump is being criticized for turning the pandemic over to his vice president . But isn't that what President Obama did.

also please answer this question why is it that all of the areas that are having major problems have had democratic rule in some case for decades.

Under Mayor Giuliani and Bloomberg NYC was a safe pleasant place to visit. but since de Blasio has taken over it has deteriorated into a dangerous hell hole where it is not safe to be in after dark

Put a democratic in the White house and what happened in Seattle will become the norm for the country

User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Appalachian Mountains (VA)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by moonshadow »

Well Dan, I can say this for certain, I've seen a lot of economic downturns and hardships in my life, some of them national (9/11, the 2008 crash) some more local (when the plant I had a job at in 2004 burned down) and some of my own fault (quitting a job when I shouldn't have, buying a house with a failed septic on solid limestone, etc)

I can say that the events of 2020 have caused me many a sleepless nights. I worry about getting bad news at work, such as a lay off, or pay cuts, I worry about my daughter working the drive through, dealing with a nasty public daily. I worry about one of us bringing it [the virus] home and at best, causing both Amber and myself two weeks or longer with no pay, or at worst death.

Why? It is evident we have no leadership. He may be the president, but he ain't no leader.

Other nations have succeeded where we have failed miserably. The evidence speaks for itself big guy.

Now I know the many governors also share in much of the blame, but he is still the president. And I have witnessed him time and time again deflect responsibility onto everyone else.

But what do you have to worry about? You're in good shape... you've got your socialized retirement, your social health care, you don't have to worry about losing either, Moon Shadow and all the rest of those pesky snowflake millenials have got you covered with their tax dollars.

I lose my job over this... I lose my healthcare, and so does Amber.... in the middle of a pandemic, but you know... how it goes with the Trumpies.... "f--k me" right?
-Moon Shadow
"How do you propose to control me when you can't even control yourself?"

User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

please explain how he is responsible for what happened in Seattle I don't see BLM making any commotion over the 19 year old that was killed

Chicago 60 people killed over a weekend is he responsible for that. you say the leaders of the area take SOME responsibility

is he responsible for California's problems. Crime is up in NYC is he responsible for that.

Please don't make a statement like he is still the president and is responsible when all of these troubled areas have been under direct democratic control for decades

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11375
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Please don't make a statement like he is still the president and is responsible when all of these troubled areas have been under direct democratic control for decades
Opinions are opinions. As far as Trump being "directly responsible" for any of this mess the answer is technically, "No" because he deflects blame so well. (In much the same manner as John Gotti, although the latter was at least intelligent)

The office of the president brings with it certain responsibilities, one of which is to set a good example and the current incumbent has proven himself beyond a doubt of being incapable of that. So, indirectly he is responsible for much of the angst in the United States and more than a dollop of that for folks outside the US due to his overtly bad behaviour. In short, he's a bloody embarrassment to the nation. His repeated inciting of violence is a major problem. He needs to go -- for the good of the country and for the good of the world.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2468
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:51 pm
Location: Scottish West Coast

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by Big and Bashful »

Wow!,
Mr. Master Barista, I might be an outsider looking at what is happening across the pond from the UK, and I have to admit I think you are 100% correct in your views. However, I feel I must interject briefly to say that maybe you are getting rather heated in this off-topic discussion! I just have the feeling that if you weren't a major contributor to the argument you might have locked the thread by now!

Just saying!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11375
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:39 pm
I feel I must interject briefly to say that maybe you are getting rather heated in this off-topic discussion! I just have the feeling that if you weren't a major contributor to the argument you might have locked the thread by now!
I've been being assaulted almost continually with the mis- and dis- information coming out of Washington, DC and the far-right wing for far too long and decided that something needed to be said, so I voiced it -- and did so in a calculated manner. Evil needs to be called out when one detects it, otherwise extremely bad things tend to happen as we have in that wonderful example of 1930s Europe. I'm not saying that the current incumbent is evil; evil requires intelligence, cunning, and determination, none of which the current incumbent has -- it's his cohorts and his minions that are the problem.

Honestly, with a few exceptions, I've been quite surprised with how well things have gone in this tread considering the pent-up emotion and angst of just about everybody involved. Note that I wrote the missive you refer to as an individual contributor and not with the force and majesty (ha!) of my position -- and my editorial position stands where it was, which is largely, "if it stays reasonably well within the boundaries of decent and respectful exchange I let it stand" because I do not want to be seen as "playing favourites" and I understand how easy it is to let one's own biases get in the way of things. And, yes, I opted to let the latitude of "acceptable" broaden a little bit in this thread simply because of the stress and angst of the situation.

However, mis- and dis- information cannot go unchallenged else all is lost.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2375
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

CR you put a lot of words on to the café . But for what I see they are vague generalities with incidental references to unrelated historical events.

The biggest embarrassment to the United States is the attempted formation of a new country in the middle of Seattle.

please explain how either 1. President Trump is responsible for this or 2 how he is shirking off his responsibility for it

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 11375
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:55 pm
[...] incidental references to unrelated historical events.
"Unrelated"? Contemplate for a moment a deeply-divided nation in Central Europe that found itself with a charismatic leader which resulted in a national psychosis that eventually engulfed a world in warfare. Compare to today's USA. The parallels are terrifying if one pays attention. In point of fact, the same playbook is being employed.
The biggest embarrassment to the United States is the attempted formation of a new country in the middle of Seattle.
This has been a long time coming, and given that the nation's government no longer represents We the People is hardly surprising. Is it an embarrassment that the populace expect to have a representational government where their voices are heard? Was that not the reason for the country forming up in the first place?
please explain how either 1. President Trump is responsible for this or 2 how he is shirking off his responsibility for it
1) Sowing hate and disinformation
2) Setting a bad example for behaviour with not only (1) but also his general demanour
3) Not addressing the situation effectively the way a leader should, i.e. shirking responsibility

There's three right off the top of my head. And, yes, I know I'm wasting electrons because the minds of The Faithful are already made up.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Post Reply