It's all about "sex"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: It's all about "sex"

Post by oldsalt1 »

Since I am the only President Trump defender on the café I am sure everyone has assumed I made the complaint.

A few points I didn't start the fight then got angry. Ray made the comments that caused my ire

You say this is a pleasant place for discussion . That's a little difficult when you click on a post and have to read what was posted in the first place

I thought the moderators where supposed to be impartial monitors of café activity since he openly supports Rays comments I can see how far CR's impartiality goes

So CR my wearing a skirt makes me a liberal and my opinions make me a fascist again great impartiality

Pelmut I would guess that the media that you get your news from has an extremely left leaning bias As does the majority of the media here
You can only form you opinion on what you hear.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:38 pmSince I am the only President Trump defender on the café I am sure everyone has assumed I made the complaint.
Nobody associated the formal complaint with a name; that was by design.
That's a little difficult when you click on a post and have to read what was posted in the first place
Folks are allowed their opinions, and whether we happen to agree with them or not is our own personal problem.
I thought the moderators where supposed to be impartial monitors of café activity since he openly supports Rays comments I can see how far CR's impartiality goes
Do you want my job?
So CR my wearing a skirt makes me a liberal and my opinions make me a fascist again great impartiality
Witness the power of language, and the corrosive tactics used by the extremists who change the language from under us without our consent. Neither of those two terms is supposed to be a slur, but nowadays both are. Originally, "liberal" indicated a tendency to accept change willingly and "conservative" indicated a tendency to stay the course. Now they translate, roughly, to "Commie pinko fag" and "fascist" respectively. That is why I seldom use them now. For evidence I offer the slanderous use of the word "liberal" in the formal complaint. Contemplate the wisdom offered in many of the Internet RFCs in describing protocols and how to handle them: "Be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you transmit."
Pelmut I would guess that the media that you get your news from has an extremely left leaning bias As does the majority of the media here
The world is full of little echo chambers; it's our duty to get out of them once in a while.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:38 pm ...
It is difficult to find unbiassed media, only those whose bias agrees or disagrees with your own.  The quotes and video clips of Trump which have appeared over here in the mainstream media, often without editorial comment, have painted a very unfavourable portrait of him.  Possibly they have been very selective, for the purpose of reinforcing a biassed stereotype, but I find it difficult to imagine what edited-out words of wisdom, knowledge or reconcilliation he might also have said which would have redressed the balance.

Unless what we see and hear in the U.K. is anything but a tiny, highly-skewed and grossly unrepresentative selection taken from what the American public sees, I fail to see the reason why Trump is held in such esteem by so many supporters.  The U.K. media often get it wrong, but do they get it so consistently and so badly wrong?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:38 pm Since I am the only President Trump defender on the café I am sure everyone has assumed I made the complaint.

A few points I didn't start the fight then got angry. Ray made the comments that caused my ire

You say this is a pleasant place for discussion . That's a little difficult when you click on a post and have to read what was posted in the first place

Dan have you ever been a moderator before? It's not a walk in the park like you think it is.
We're all grown adults here and Carl can't go and lock every thread just because someone doesn't agree with a post. He thought we'd all be mature adults and have a discussion without it getting out of hand.You have the choice not to read it but you do and get upset over what you read. If Carl ,Uncle Al and etc shut the thread down there would be no skirtcafe. You really shouldn't let everything get to you so much and agree to disagree. It's not that hard.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Jenn you say don't read the post if you don't like it . How are you supposed to determine what the post is about if you don't read it .. This was not a political item to start with

But because of drift it ended up as a ranting session

I know that being a monitor is not an easy job but at the same time a monitor shouldn't use his position as an opportunity to express their own opinions

Yes the forum is a place for discussion. and reasonable discussions often go against one's opinions. you have to be willing to accept that or anyone including myself shouldn't participate .

but there is a limit when the discussions deteriorate to vile name calling session. ……………. Dan resident Fascist
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dan,
The only time I get hot under the collar is about two-thirds of the way through my personal torture session in my garage loft, which in the absence of real galley-slavery on the water I try to do about 5 times a week.

I sit on my Concept 2 rowing machine and do about 10Km at varying pressures, mostly topping out at pulse rate 160, but with a 500m. sprint at the end during which the ol' ticker gets up to around 184....well into anaerobic.

I hate cold showers, so an ordinary hot one serves to cool me down underneath the collar big-time. Such a session tends to occupy about 45 minutes, during which politics and everything to do with that are furthest from my mind. 8) and endorphins take over my mood for the rest of the evening.....Better than sex!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dan... you're not a fascist... you're "that uncle" at every family reunion... :lol:

And I mean that as a fun hearted joke big guy... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I watch the BBC news, Channel 4 news, read the Financial Times and Guardian, and don’t subscribe to any other news channels. I do not read tabloids, and I’d rather burn the Daily Mail rather than be poisoned by it.

The problem is that when you are reading unedited Twitter feeds, watching unedited videos, and hearing what’s being said, it’s difficult not to come to the conclusions I have made.

I strongly disagreed with many of the policies that GW Bush came up with. I thought his foreign policy was flawed. But he seems like a decent guy, someone you could have a laugh and a pint with.

I can’t say the same about the current incumbent.

I think we’re lucky in the U.K. Our media has some decent reference points, and international coverage is good. My experience of US media is that it’s polarised, influenced by money, and is very insular. I’d be interested in hearing the views of Americans who have travelled in Europe and have experienced European media.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:03 pm Jenn you say don't read the post if you don't like it . How are you supposed to determine what the post is about if you don't read it .. This was not a political item to start with

But because of drift it ended up as a ranting session

I know that being a monitor is not an easy job but at the same time a monitor shouldn't use his position as an opportunity to express their own opinions

Yes the forum is a place for discussion. and reasonable discussions often go against one's opinions. you have to be willing to accept that or anyone including myself shouldn't participate .

but there is a limit when the discussions deteriorate to vile name calling session. ……………. Dan resident Fascist

Then how about we take the high road and get this thread back on the topic that the title is about shall we? I'm ready if you are.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:26 pmI’d be interested in hearing the views of Americans who have travelled in Europe and have experienced European media.
I listened to the BBC World Service for years on shortwave, but sadly that was discontinued a number of years ago and I haven't even hooked up my receiver since I moved in 2015. The last time I had it fired up the entire shortwave band was a vast wasteland of "Hoot, Holler, and Hate" preachers.

I also used to listen to the Australian, German, and Russian counterparts and then averaged out the news. Every once in a while I'd sprinkle Radio Havana into the mix for grins. The one time I tuned into the Voice of America (which was technically illegal for US citizens to do at the time) I remarked to my father that, "It's like somebody reading the Boston Herald on the air (this in the late '70s). I expect the statute of limitations has run out, but what country uses the same propaganda externally and internally?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sorry about the comments Ray, They hit me on a bad day

I understand that you commentary is based on what you can get from the media. And the media has never given President Trump a fair shake

I will say this tomorrow President Trump is having a rally , they expect over 100,000 people to try to attend . I am sure that there is going to be trouble from Antifa and the other organizations . and I am sure the media will blame everything on the president and his followers

Again 100,000 people Biden couldn't get that type of response if he counted his TV and radio audience.

In my opinion President Trump will be reelected. The polls were against him in 16 until he won

In order to get reelected he has to be doing something right and a lot of people have to like him. Uncle Dan
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:12 pm Sorry about the comments Ray, They hit me on a bad day

I understand that you commentary is based on what you can get from the media. And the media has never given President Trump a fair shake

I will say this tomorrow President Trump is having a rally , they expect over 100,000 people to try to attend . I am sure that there is going to be trouble from Antifa and the other organizations . and I am sure the media will blame everything on the president and his followers

Again 100,000 people Biden couldn't get that type of response if he counted his TV and radio audience.

In my opinion President Trump will be reelected. The polls were against him in 16 until he won

In order to get reelected he has to be doing something right and a lot of people have to like him. Uncle Dan
Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything you had me laughing so hard at how you signed your name. I mean that in a good way even got Moon cracking up. Well Played Uncle Dan well played.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dan

No need to apologise. You have your views; I have mine. I’m thick skinned. You should try it sometime ;-)

Trump may get re-elected. If that’s the case, then the reputation of the USA on the global stage will take a further nosedive. I take no pride or pleasure in stating this. It’s just fact.

Already, China is cleaning up on the global stage, rightly or wrongly. The USA has lost global leadership. I’d say that Germany has that baton now In terms of credibility - but China is the emerging economic superpower.

I’m reluctant to say any more. I promised Carl that I’d pull back and that’s my intention.

However, please read what those of us From outside the US are saying about your President. This is not a republican v democrat thing. We don’t care. You’re just another foreign country. We just hate the individual.

Please, by all means, defend him. Not by lashing out against others but rather b stating his attributes. By that means, we may have a cogent debate.

I tried to get this back on track. Sorry.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pmI tried to get this back on track. Sorry.
Grazie, Signore.

And let's hope that it does.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well Ray, all I can say is that no matter what happens, many of us here in the U.S. didn't ask for this. Our politics are split almost 50/50.

I was involved with a conversation with someone today, along with a coworker, and I could tell that he wasn't very impressed with Trump, but he was beating around the bush because let's face it, in my region, to criticize Trump is practically a blasphemy.

Seriously, I get no flak whatsoever when I belt out my agnostic viewpoints on religion, but I better not speak ill of Trump, thems fightin words... Yes, its more socially acceptable to state that there may not be a God (Elohim [0]) and to say that Jesus might not have existed than to speak even the slightest criticism of Trump... there's something wrong with this picture here, and that's why I'm not kidding when I say he has been elevated to God status among his followers.

[0] Betting few locals in my region even know what Elohim even means....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.