Memorial Day

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Memorial Day

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just came back from a trip to Calverton National cemetery

Calverton is the largest national cemetery in the country there are almost 280,000 graves

It was a small group from my local VFW we went there to place flags on some graves.

This has nothing to do with politics or any of that garbage

Its just a moment to reflect on what it represents

I stood in a moment of silence and just looked out at the vast number of graves. Its mind blowing

Tomorrow we honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice to give us the freedom that we enjoy today.

While not everybody who is buried there died in combat they or a family member at some time served in the armed forces of our country.

Nothing further I just think that everyone should pay a visit and look around at the unending lines of grave sites and just spend a moment in quiet contemplation
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Memorial Day

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:40 pmJust came back from a trip to Calverton National cemetery

Calverton is the largest national cemetery in the country there are almost 280,000 graves

It was a small group from my local VFW we went there to place flags on some graves.
Thank you for going, Dan. It is important to remember.

Each and every one of those cemeteries is a national monument and a national treasure, and we forget that at our peril. On a larger scale, other nations need to reflect in the same way on the cost of blood and treasure in times of conflict, and to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for land and country, Let it be a powerful reminder that we engage in conflict at horrific cost and that it should not be undertaken lightly.

We may be slightly divided in our present, but our history binds us together. My grandfather is buried in the cemetery on Cape Cod; he opted for that so he'd be "closer to home" even though he qualified for Arlington. Such was the man.
Nothing further I just think that everyone should pay a visit and look around at the unending lines of grave sites and just spend a moment in quiet contemplation.
In these times of quarantine and the like, there are very many extremely moving videos of some of these hallowed places that can be found. If one cannot visit personally, one can "visit" in the virtual world.

... To remember.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Indeed OS, no politics involved.

The more I learned about wars and battles, the more I was drawn to the battle fields and military cemeteries in Europe and we have a lot of those. I visited many places of battle from the Roman times to WW2. That is the least you can do to honor those fallen warriors.

Behind my house is a cemetery and I think about 50 or more graves are from the military. Around Memorial Day local youth organisations put new flags near the graves. From some of the dates you can see they died in battle. I walk often over the cemetery as a short cut when I go shopping. When I see a tattered flag stuck to the little pole, I will stop and untangle the fabric so the flag can flow free.
Dia1217q.jpg
American cemetery Colleville-sur-Mer, Normandy

75 years after the end of the war, the Dutch are still very thankful to the liberators.
https://www.wearethemighty.com/military ... belltitem3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Here's to those who never came home...
20200524_195044_resize_90_compress9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I have been to both Arlington Cemetery and the American Cemetery at Colleville sur Mer (It’s the cemetery that Saving Private Ryan begins and ends at. It sits right on the top of the bluffs above Omaha Beach.) and they both seem to go on FOREVER. I can’t imagine how large the one you visited Is, OldSalt.

For sure the cost of war is much, much too high.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Arlington is about 625 acres but it is almost full Calverton is 1045 acres it is only about 1/3 filled I would like to visit Colleville which is the American burial field for WW2 mainly D Day it is about 175 acres and has just under 10,000 graves.

It is when you go to these places that you begin to realize the true cost of war .

This afternoon with my comrads from our VFW we held a funeral service at our local funeral home . It was for a WW2 veteran he was 100 years old.

Because of the virus things were very limited but the family had a photo display and some of the photos were from his time in the service and ww2
As I was looking at them I thought of all the movies we grew up with John Wayne and the rest I was thinking of all the battle scenes in the movies than I looked at his pictures and realized here is a fellow who "Been There Done That"