My Cornish World

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My Cornish World

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went into the Managers Office and said
The Duchess of Argyle is at the counter.
Please could someone provide her with a statement
for her current purchases.
The Deputy Manager went out to the counter and said
" Good afternoon .How nice to see you again.
I will make up the statement for your account.
My young assistant will make up the parcel of your purchases."

....Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 am .....and all that happened before SatNavs !

Tom
This year is the 400 year aniversery of the Pilgrim Fathers
leaving the Mayflower Steps in Plymouth for New England
They only came into Plymouth as their Ships were unseaworthy
and needed repairs

There is no mention of the fact that the Plymouth water suppy
was ransid....They went to Newlyn to pick up their water.

if I rememer correctly the Mayflower and the Nonsuch had
come from Laden...
The ships were late arriving at their destination.
Many of the immegrants did not survive their first winter
in the Promised Land ... Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:58 am .....and all that happened before SatNavs !

Tom
Tom...Sir Robin Knox Johnson has always been one of my
Folk Heroes...He was a 30 year old sea captain who left
an Indian Ship to sail the Suahili from Bombay to East India Docks
in the Port of London...He then carried out a sponsored refit..
He took on board a ton of tinned food and set sail for Falmouth.
He departed from Falmouth and was the first yachtsman to
sail around the world single handed without putting into any other
port for assistance.
He had to use spare sails to catch his drinking water.
His radio packed up and he suffered structural damage to his vessel.
He flashed up a passing ship using his Morse Lamp
to transfer his position to Lloyds of London..
If I remember correctly an aircraft found him off Australia
and he transfered mail to a boat which came out to rendevue
with him. He actually never had any physical assistance from
anyone during his year at sea...
If this virus crisis continues I will order up a ton of tinned food
from Tesco s Super Market and hide in my library of books
for a year here in Cornwall. ....Roderick
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rod,
At least at 200 feet altitude the tsunami won't get you! Down in Kerry we too are at 200 feet and our 180 deg. view is unparalleled. When I get out my flat-Earther binos I can see Boston clearly! 28Mi. East is Carrauntuohill, 3414 ft., our highest pimple and 18Mi West is the Bull Rock light, one down from the Skellig, one up from the Mizen, below which is the Fastnet.

Alas, it'll be Autumn before we can get down there again.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom Thank you for the beautiful Pictures....Love Bull Rock .
Reminds me of Durdle Door near Lulworth Cove in the Purbecks In Dorset
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom My system is Playing Up.....The Other side of Durdle Door is Man of War Cove...Good place for a shallow aqua lung dive.
Moor up inside the reef and swim out through a narrow gap .Turn right along the outside of the reef, leaving a vertical reef
on your right. Eventually swim into a sandy cave...I am always expecting to see a Big Treasure Chest on the sea bed.
Then surface inside the cave.....Get it right and I am looking though a hole in the outer face of the cliff...
I can then watch the sea through the hole . just a special diving location I found one day...Probably only ten feet of water.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Swim back to the boat and head east Past Lulworth Cove and Arish Mell..The Atomic Energy Out Fall Pipe....Probably see Lulwoth Castle
in the backbround ......Past Mupe bay and then anchor up in Warbarrow Bay.

If the Village in the Army Ranges is open ...Go ashore into Warbarrow Fishing Village and walk up to Tyneham .....Only the church and the
Village School Room have been rebuilt since The Area was Commandeered in 1943 as the training ground for the D.Day Landings...
I worked 6 miles inshore ...The other side of the Army Tank Ranges....The whole area has many memories for the Locals....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am repeating myself but this was a good sunday boat trip.....One of my old friends gave me a prewar photo of Sea Cottage
on Warbarrow Beach....This was Uncle Jack's Cottage....The old family fishermen used to go out fishing at first light.Land their
Catch on the beach....Walk to the Post Office in Tynaham and send a telegram to the fish merchant six mile away
In Wareham. He would come down in his horse and cart to buy the fish
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

IN 1588 two scottish brothers in their Privateer were chasing the Spanish along the Dorset Coast ...They were
shipwrecked in Warbarrow Bay......The story was that If folks could build a home and put a roof on it in a day ,
They could live in the the property on the estate...Uncle Jack was a desendant of those two privateers.
He was an old man when he was evicted by the War Department in 1943...
Some of his relatives moved to Lulworth Cove and were fishing in the 1680's and are still fishing...
two generations of the old family still work 3 boats out of Lulworth .
Yes....It is now time to go back to my fishing boat anchored in Warebarrow bay and take a two hour steam into
the sunset back to Weymouth Harbour......I might even catch some Mackerel and boil them in Sea Water like an egg.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have said very little about my life in Cornwall...Several years ago I was sitting on the top deck of a bus
watching the sunrise across the moors...i got a conversation with an American Lady who had carried out considerable
research regarding the nature of the passages carried out out by the old time Sea Captains.
It was suggested that some of them took a wife in every port they had visited. May be they only returned to that Port
once every five years....A round trip would take a year....Try reading Joshua Slocum.

Anyway this well educated American Lady's Theory got my brain working......My theory is that in every port I have visited
in the South of England there lives a Fisherman with My Grandmother's Scottish family surname.

One of my contacts in America with my family surname got as far as S.W. California...
One of my family brought a Dark Eyed Maiden into Poole Harbour . Her ancestors Lived in Malta
One of my female Neigbours comes from India...another from Northern Italy.
A short walk across the fields down here on the Lizard lies the LLoyds Signal Station
800 sailing ships per month registed their arrival by their flags signals with Lloyds
as they were heading to Falmouth for Orders ..regarding the port for discharge of their Cargo.

The Pilots were bringing the ships in and the watermen in their Falmouth Quay Punts
were bringing their sailing punts alongside the ships with
the mast of the punt below the yards of the ship...The first task of the punt
Was to take the Master of the ship and his Pilot ashore so the master could collect his orders.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 am Rod,
At least at 200 feet altitude the tsunami won't get you! Down in Kerry we too are at 200 feet and our 180 deg. view is unparalleled. When I get out my flat-Earther binos I can see Boston clearly! 28Mi. East is Carrauntuohill, 3414 ft., our highest pimple and 18Mi West is the Bull Rock light, one down from the Skellig, one up from the Mizen, below which is the Fastnet.

Alas, it'll be Autumn before we can get down there again.

Tom
Tom, Is the Mizen a rock which is the shape of sail...or does the word have
a different derivation ?....I am assuming the Mizen is a rock ......Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom
I was once told that the Decca Navigator was a useful piece of equipment.
The valves in the magic box warmed up and box could be used to dry
the skipper's wet socks....
A tenth of a Decca lane was approx 60 feet. ...A day's run for a spider when
the hens were going shy.....normally in september..............Roderick
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

What a wonderful treasure trove of maritime history and information you possess, Rod.

Sailing out of the Hamble, where we kept our boat in the 70s-80s it's usually quite a hike to windward to get within smelling distance of Dorset.
Bin to Brownsea twice. Certainly once past Studland the Dorset coast is a sight for sore eyes. Bin into Lulworth, once. Next stop Portland. To go beyond that you need a whole week.
Usually when we had that sort of time available we'd turn to Port after the Needles light, leave the fairways buoy to starboard and head South to France & the Channel Islands. Remarkable, the Picardy coast is a repeat of the Dorset coast. I refer to Etretat and nearby haunts.

During our nine-year tenure of our Westerley GK29 'Get Kool' we took some summertime off and did a 'Fastnet Plus', i.e. sailed past the Fastnet & the Mizen, headed straight North for the Dursey Island sound, up between the islands Deenish & Scariff and hit Ballinskelligs right on the nose.......and back to the Hamble.
Thus emboldened, we did the Skye thing the following year in four legs, with some crew changes at Holyhead en route and on the return. Top town visited was Portree just beyond the Kyle of Lochalsh in NE. Skye, Most eerie was being entertained to the Mendelssohn 'Fingals Cave' overture on a ghetto blaster right inside said cave on the island of Staffa. Now that's another story.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !