Social distancing is easy! Try this....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Social distancing is easy! Try this....

Post by Fred in Skirts »

social distance dress.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Social distancing is easy! Try this....

Post by crfriend »

... and a very, very pretty one it is, too. There's just one problem. We don't live in Tara anymore. That sucker has to fit into the foot-well of a typical modern automobile...

I've worn such things. See Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop for some examples, anecdotes, and experiences.

But, darn those things are pretty...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I like the idea. If I combine it with a Hoovercraft, I have also a perfect transport.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Love it. Almost worth getting one for the fun of it! Thanks for the smiles Fred & BL
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That's probably 2.5 times the diameter of my hoopy underskirt, wow! Probably not incredibly practical!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

......... and could smuggle 200 rolls of toilet paper.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Just need inflatable/deflatable hoops and drawstrings to pull it together when needed.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

As a sewist, the challenge to make a dress like that is itching me. But you have to observe some practical constraints.

First of all: is the dress tested in a windtunnel? With that result you know if you can go out if the wind is not too strong. Otherwise you might get airborne like a Mary Poppins.

Also it might turn out very costly. It is not only the dress with a hefty price tag, yards and yards of fabric and some construction work underneath. You also have to invest in a hangar for small aircrafts in your backyard so you can use it as a changing room.

I think I pass on this one.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

This reminds me of the story about Sarah Ann Henley who, on Thursday 7th May 1885, threw herself off the Bristol Suspension bridge.

"It was a breezy day and witnesses claimed that she turned a complete somersault so was falling feet first – when a gust of air blew beneath her crinoline skirt and slowed the pace of her fall, blowing her away from the water and toward the muddy banks of the Avon River.

A rather high wind was blowing and the woman’s dress offered a good deal of resistance to it, it not only materially checked the rapidity of her descent, but instead of falling vertically she was carried to the Gloucestershire bank, where she fell on the mud almost in a sitting position. The mud yielded freely, and the woman, straightened out to full length, sank some distance into it.”
She survived and lived until 1948.
See https://www.cliftonbridge.org.uk/visit/ ... as-an-icon

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

What an amazing story! Actually I see that it took place on Friday 8 May, so presumably our bank holiday has been moved from the 4th to the 8th to mark the 135th anniversary of the occasion? Can't think why else they would do it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I must try my 50's full net petticoat under a full circle summer skirt ....The Rock and Roll Era with The Liverpool Merchant Seamen bringing the
U.S. Records back to U.K.....I am old enough to remember seeing all the teenage school girls screaming at Little Richard in the Concerts
in the U.K. Cinemas..

My fathers cousin was over ninety years old Last Time I saw him....Back when his daughter was 14 years old , he wondered how a group
of school girls could sit down in a railway coach compartment.

Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash in 1959....but songs will always be remembered......
" Tribute to Buddy Holly by Mike Berry and the Outlaws.....I took my new reel to reel recorder round to my friends farm house and recorded
all his big sisters 78's off the family radiogram.....

This whole rock and roll era was relived in the 70's with Shaking Steven and The Sunsets in Weymouth Pavillion....All the enthusiasts came
down from Bristol....The Female Partner did a twirl with a flash of stockings and suspenders.

That thumping noise was something I will never forget