Adding Insult to Injury

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Adding Insult to Injury

Post by crfriend »

It's bad enough that we're all under house arrest here in New England at the moment with a steady number of new coronavirus infections happening day-upon-day, but now the weather is going to dump on us as well. Here's what my periodic look at the NWS (National Weather Service) threw up at me:

Code: Select all

t2.crf.rcsri.org:carl >. ~/wxdata/get-current-alerts.sh
{
  "urgency": "Expected",
  "response": "Execute",
  "certainty": "Likely",
  "event": "Winter Weather Advisory",
  "onset": "2020-04-17T23:00:00-04:00",
  "ends": "2020-04-18T12:00:00-04:00",
  "description": "* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of up to 5
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Connecticut, all of interior
  Massachusetts and northwestern Rhode Island.

* WHEN...From 11 PM this evening to noon EDT Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions."
}
t2.crf.rcsri.org:carl >. 
Five inches of crud from the sky -- in mid (almost typed "mud" there, but that might have been apropos) April. Mother Nature thumbing her nose at us...

It'll be gone come Sunday, I suspect as the high temperature is slated to be in the upper 50s (F) with sunny conditions. I wish it's take the virus with it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Adding Insult to Injury

Post by r.m.anderson »

April is the new March - roaring in like a lion of sorts delaying the start of Spring - leaving a flooding mess to clean up.
So much for April showers bringing May flowers now forecasted to be bloom in June.
With Global Warming won't be long before the seasonal changes will have moved on into formerly charted territory.

Just beware shoveling moving that heavy wet 5 + inches of heart attack snow - wait a day or two and it will all be melted !
In the mean time virus cabin fever is still effect - so don't over work the snow removal - the first responders have other matters !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Snow in April is not uncommon in the Netherlands either, that is in pre-climate-change days. Now they have almost no snow in the Winter over there.

As proof of the April snow, there is even a Dutch saying about that event. "Aprilletje zoet geeft nog wel eens een witte hoed." More or less translated:"Sweet April might give you a white hat."

It looks like we will just escape that misery. There will be quite a temperature drop here with frost during the night. That is good against all sorts of vermin, as my mother used to say.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 pmWith Global Warming won't be long before the seasonal changes will have moved on into formerly charted territory.
I'm not going to bite on that one. The Leader of the Free World (TM) has declared that idea "Fake News".
Just beware shoveling moving that heavy wet 5 + inches of heart attack snow - wait a day or two and it will all be melted !
I'm thinking at this point a nice quick heart-attack might be better than what's in store for us if the virus situation ever clears...

My big plan is to lay in enough beer this afternoon so I don't have to worry about shovelling and will just let nature take its course.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Our April so far has been almost totally dry and sunny, with afternoon temps. in the high teens Centipede, topped last week by two days at 21 deg.

Choice of flesh cover or no depends on the strength of the still cold winds, mostly from the Nor-East, for which we blame the Scots, of course.
On the calm days we dine out of doors, which is lovely and today the stereophonic birdsong in the garden had one important new addition....the Cuckoo. April 17th is early, but par for the course.

On my adjacent moorland circuit with each of our two favourite large dogs (I no longer walk them together) the first cuckoo behind me was answered by a second in a different location somewhere up ahead. I didn't catch sight of either, but that will happen before long.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !