Think you could??

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Think you could??

Post by Fred in Skirts »

L and WRR.jpg
Try driving this train over this track. I did and made it all the way from one end to the other without going off the rails. (0) The owner and regular driver did not make it all the way back and went on the ground about half way back.. Going on the ground was a regular occurrence on this line.
It is or was the Louisville and Wadley RR in Georgia USA. The owner has since died and the line abandoned. They did a good business with pulpwood and furniture. They connected with the Southern RR.

(0) Yes the track is as bad as it looks and in some areas it is worse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Think you could??

Post by Coder »

Not to... derail this thread... but yesterday a train went by and it looked like it was carrying steel beams spanning two cars. Was this an optical illusion?

Also, WOW - those tracks are crazy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 pmNot to... derail this thread... but yesterday a train went by and it looked like it was carrying steel beams spanning two cars. Was this an optical illusion?
Possibly not, depending on the dimensions of the beams. Note that "ribbon-rail" (welded rail) is transported in several-hundred-foot-long segments that span many several rail-cars. Steel is more flexible than most folks think.
Also, WOW - those tracks are crazy.
I took one look at that and got motion sickness from the thought of trying to take even a light locomotive over them nevermind a train.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:08 am
Coder wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 pmNot to... derail this thread... but yesterday a train went by and it looked like it was carrying steel beams spanning two cars. Was this an optical illusion?
Possibly not, depending on the dimensions of the beams. Note that "ribbon-rail" (welded rail) is transported in several-hundred-foot-long segments that span many several rail-cars. Steel is more flexible than most folks think.
Thanks! That was it - google images corresponded to what I saw.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

We now have an active image we can call up whenever a thread...

.... runs off the rails... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

An amazing photo. Usually it would be extreme heat that could buckle tracks to that extent, but looking at the conifers in the landscape, It can't be all that hot there. Earth tremors! Subsidence?

I never drove a train, so I don't know what particular skills would be required. Luck, perhaps?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

With the track looking like that, the only way to drive would be VERY slowly and with a lot of LUCK.
It's worth remembering that the sleepers (ties) are there to keep the rails together - the weight tends to push them apart. Once the track goes wide to gauge, then there is very little to stop the loco/rolling stock dropping to 'Mother Earth'!!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

How to you drive bad trackage? very carefully, found a youtube clip or two, here is one (Note it starts of sped up, then drops to normal as the train gets close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X2A2f6E5DI
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 am
crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:08 am
Thanks! That was it - google images corresponded to what I saw.
The store I work at overlooks the rail line through the center of the city. A few times, they have had wind turbine blades parked there for a while. Those also span more than one rail car, but are NOT flexible! Big suckers, and I'm pretty sure they were not half as big as they can get.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

partlyscot wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm..... The store I work at overlooks the rail line through the center of the city. A few times, they have had wind turbine blades parked there for a while. Those also span more than one rail car, but are NOT flexible! Big suckers, and I'm pretty sure they were not half as big as they can get.
Easy peasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vlG7jRKSQ
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

This line has had minimal maintenance for almost it's entire life. The cross ties (sleepers to you Brits) have rotted away in some areas and the only thing holding the rails up is the Georgia red clay. The ground in wet weather is very mushy. I have helped him to replace some of the ties. We would put them about 6 to 8 feet apart hoping that it would help. Most of the ties were used and had been donated by Southern Railway from their upgrades when he could get them. So most of them were already well used up. But it kept the line operating and gave employment to himself and two others. It was operational up until his death and there after it was abandoned altogether. :(

I really enjoyed going down there to have a day or two running the train and working on the railroad. In the summer it was very hot work with temps reaching in the upper 90s F. But when you are having fun it does not worry you.

I've been working on the railroad all the live long day. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pmThe store I work at overlooks the rail line through the center of the city. A few times, they have had wind turbine blades parked there for a while. Those also span more than one rail car, but are NOT flexible! Big suckers, and I'm pretty sure they were not half as big as they can get.
They'd pretty much have to be at least slightly flexible else they'd be very vulnerable to bad weather. Too, so long as there's enough side-to-side motion available for one end or the other (and a pivot at the other end) that'll take care of the matter so long as the curvature of the track doesn't put part of a blade outside the loading gauge (and there's something there to interfere with it).

The blades in the video that BL posted were also oriented in the direction of that limited flex. Even aircraft propellors flex a bit under different amounts of load.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:13 pm..... The blades in the video that BL posted were also oriented in the direction of that limited flex. ......
The windmill blades on the train are placed in a sort of cradle inside those steel constructions. It looks like there some amount of pivotting possible.

I have seen videos of road transport where one end was on a truck and the other end on a sort of dolly with steerable wheels. They had to take very wide turns and the middle of the blade was hanging over quite a lot. That transport went way below the max speed limit. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak