Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 pm
Ray wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pmFor now you give up your freedoms temporarily for the greater good. These freedoms will return.
That depends heavily upon the society in which one lives. The US still lives under the restrictions imposed following the terrorist attacks in 2001 -- and those restrictions are never, ever, going to go away, Why should we believe that the restrictions now being placed upon us will?
It’s quite easy. Be less self-centred, and the restrictions will make sense. Assert your personal freedoms, watch people die, and accept that you have blood on your hands.
What is going on right now is an entirely uncontrolled and unsupervised experiment in human sociological evolution over the course of the past half-million years. Already, the "Little Economy" in the US has been destroyed, and it's not going to come back -- and that's the economy that better than 99 percent of the populace exist and try to live in. Worse is the level of separation we're now undergoing -- cut off from friends and acquaintances. I'm waiting to see when the suicide-rate experiences an uptick because of that privation. I do not believe that's an "if", but rather a "when". Humans are social animals, and tend to crave social surroundings -- and TXT and the 'Net don't cut it. We need proximity; we need familiarity; and some of us need the "human touch". Imagine facing the rest of one's life never again cherishing a tender caress.

Whatever happens from here on out is going to be a mess, no matter how one looks at it. Yes, the species will survive -- but at what cost, physically and emotionally, to the survivors?
Carl I have been wondering when suicides will erupt as well. Society is receiving a constant onslaught of stress from almost every conceivable level. Many of us are experiencing economic trials, healh issues,fear, worry, etc. This is the perfect storm for suicides to occur. It is in these times when we need each other the most. We all need reasuring touch in these times. Phone calls, text, etc. can only go so far. In this world of connectivity we are probably more alone than ever before.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 pm I have 4 rolls of TP ready for use But use TP sparingly. :D
What I use to supplement the TP supply is a Wash Cloth and Warm Soapy Water. :thumright:
It is actually better than TP as it actually cleans instead of just smearing it into a thin layer on your bum. It also feels good too...
:bluebounce: :bluebounce:
I do think that we all sure buy and install those Washlet toilets that Japan loves (They spray water up a bit like a bidet but usable by normal people). Those toilets can also be used pretty well by all skirted people.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 pm Humans are social animals, and tend to crave social surroundings -- and TXT and the 'Net don't cut it. We need proximity; we need familiarity; and some of us need the "human touch". Imagine facing the rest of one's life never again cherishing a tender caress.
An interesting comment was recently made on a transgender forum pointing out that transgender people are better at coping psychologically with the recent social isolation because they have been coping with it all their lives. A few minutes after reading that, I was rung by a friend who is finding isolation really difficult; she said to me "It's all right for you, you have been like this all your life so you don't know what it's like when you have been used to having friends and family around all the time".

How do you deal with 'logic' like that?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:30 am We all need reasuring touch in these times. Phone calls, text, etc. can only go so far. In this world of connectivity we are probably more alone than ever before.
Oh..... it's not so bad... once you get used to it.

My wife, daughter, and I have been technically socially isolated for years.

Daryl saw first hand when he and his wife paid a visit (the first and last visitors we've had over a 10 year span) when our cat, Sebastian strolled out into the living room not realizing we had company only to freak the hell out and dart over and cling to Amber.

Yeah, it stings a little when we observe people around us enjoy highly social lives, cookouts and gatherings daily. My refuge from this was to walk in the woods, though with more and more public spaces closing it's getting hard to do that.

So we just sit here and watch those who live around us defy calls to distance themselves... the gatherings continue as always. And as always our driveway is untouched by vehicles not registered there.

Honestly if we died today, skirtcafe would probably notice it before anyone else does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing the world's smallest violin, but I'm not going to mince words about it either. I've accepted it, but it is what it is. Nobody gives a sh!t about us. Hey it's cool... the feeling is mutual.

So aside from the grocery store shelves constantly being picked clean, being forbidden to walk in the woods, and a disturbingly low level of work.... hell... this is business as usual for us.

If covid19 breaks out in our home and it kills Jenn and Amber (who both have less than perfect health) and it infects me, frankly I have no intention to fight it.

I'm not suicidal, but should Nature take her course, so be it.

And yes I know how much fun I am at parties.... I wasn't born this way ya know... the world made me like this.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm An interesting comment was recently made on a transgender forum pointing out that transgender people are better at coping psychologically with the recent social isolation because they have been coping with it all their lives. A few minutes after reading that, I was rung by a friend who is finding isolation really difficult; she said to me "It's all right for you, you have been like this all your life so you don't know what it's like when you have been used to having friends and family around all the time".
A comment was made here (I refrained from commenting) where a member was complaining about the local authority's restrictions, and I contemplated the irony of how suddenly everyone knows the sting of government involvement (restrictions) in their personal lives.

Again, I didn't comment because I knew it would at best, fall on deaf ears or at worst, start a flame war and get the thread locked.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm
pelmut wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm An interesting comment was recently made on a transgender forum pointing out that transgender people are better at coping psychologically with the recent social isolation because they have been coping with it all their lives. A few minutes after reading that, I was rung by a friend who is finding isolation really difficult; she said to me "It's all right for you, you have been like this all your life so you don't know what it's like when you have been used to having friends and family around all the time".
A comment was made here (I refrained from commenting) where a member was complaining about the local authority's restrictions, and I contemplated the irony of how suddenly everyone knows the sting of government involvement (restrictions) in their personal lives.

Again, I didn't comment because I knew it would at best, fall on deaf ears or at worst, start a flame war and get the thread locked.
I have always known the sting of their involvement in my life and resented every single moment of it all!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Honestly if we died today, skirtcafe would probably notice it before anyone else does.

And yes I know how much fun I am at parties.... I wasn't born this way ya know... the world made me like this.
Don't get me wrong. My wife and I are about as reclusive as they come. We stay to ourselves too. Moon I am glad you know that the cafe members care. Otherwise, I would not contact you when I don't hear from you! :D
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:19 pm Moon I am glad you know that the cafe members care. Otherwise, I would not contact you when I don't hear from you!
Yeah I know... I did recall that after I posted it.

Still, I often wonder what it's like to have a "meat space" social life..! :mrgreen:

Then again, I'm so accustomed to the way things are... should I be careful what I wish for?

On the other hand, some may wonder how I adapted my social life so quickly to skirt wearing... well I really only had to get two people on board... my wife and my daughter.

Sure I had, and still have acquaintances, I'm friendly to folks in my real world life and they're friendly to me, but that's as far as it goes.

Logically I'd say my lack of social involvement comes down to three factors...

1) lack of church involvement
2) I'm not a drinker or bar hopper, (no desire for a "nite life")
3) No children (underage)

These three factors I believe make up the majority of human social interactions. There's not much I can do about it as...

1) Despite the fact I'm sure I could find several welcoming churches for my skirt wearing practice, I am... basically agnostic, and that could be a problem. I'm sure they would accept me, but let's face it... you know that won't work for long.

2) I don't like the taste of beer.

3) I don't want anymore children.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 pmOh..... it's not so bad... once you get used to it.

My wife, daughter, and I have been technically socially isolated for years.
There's a subtle difference here -- you have a family. Many of us don't. A family is an operating unit, and the members derive their strength from that unit. In the canine world, we call this a "pack", and packs are self-sufficient units. Individuals, not so much.

In times like these, families -- no matter how small -- become more important than ever.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I would often leave work on a Friday and not speak to anyone until I got back to work on a Monday morning. However this is very different, basically house arrest and it is starting to feel like it! Keeping myself "sane" by watching the TV, but mostly by watching my favourite "streamers" on YouTube, my PC isn't good enough to run my favourite flight sim so I watch other people flying it (Skymatix & FlightDeck2sim). Passes hours! Then there are other highly entertaining streamers such as Colonel Failure and The Critical Drinker. However that and working from home, still isn't enough. Then I see stories on the News about people who are really struggling to get by, who have lost jobs, who have lost relatives, who have real problems. Then I tell myself that I am very lucky, I still have my wage, my job and a roof over my head, not to mention my three cats, all determined to get their dinner early damn them!
Looking at my little life, things could be worse!

Friday night or Saturday night I will open a bottle of wine, stick my headphones on and talk to a bunch of Americans on a multi-player Run 8 train/rail simulator, keeps me occupied for hours, more so if I am dispatching, although doing the Engineer thing is also pretty damn satisfying!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am sitting here reading what has been written by the family of skirt wearers that I am a member of. I have to say it helps me keep a sane thought in my head.

I am 77 years old and have lived alone for the last 25 years. I live out in the boon-docks with very few neighbors and no real friends close by. So I am used to being on my own. But what is getting to me is the fact that I now have no place to go. I usually go to town once or twice a month. Now I have no place that is open save for the grocery store and the drug store. The grocery store Is usually out of things I need and the fact that it is a small operation barely has enough stock in normal times. I did get to go to the trash dump one day and that has been the highlight of this past couple of weeks. So yes it does make a big difference in how you live your life. My family lives away from here so getting to see them is not on the books either.
So I spend my time watching TV, reading, talking on the phone, playing with my trains, but still it seems like am in jail!! :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

One slight upside to the current crisis, Into day 3 without having to commit pant! Depending on temperature, either a long skirt or a knee length, it's nice to be comfortable and not conform, a pity it took the downfall of society to stay comfortable!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 pm
So aside from the grocery store shelves constantly being picked clean, being forbidden to walk in the woods, and a disturbingly low level of work.... hell... this is business as usual for us.
Forbidden to walk in the woods? That would be bad. Here in Illinois, they are encouraging hiking and biking, just maintain your 6-foot physical distance.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:01 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Forbidden to walk in the woods? That would be bad. Here in Illinois, they are encouraging hiking and biking, just maintain your 6-foot physical distance.
It depends on the trail. Some are shut down, others are not. Finding an open trail is like locating a pack of toilet paper... not impossible, but it may require some exploring...
-Andrea
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

After having skimmed through the most recent comments etc. a few remarks:
In my opinion we know to little of this virus and I wouldn't be surprised if learned more about it may become to late.
Recently we bought an air-ionizer. It claims not only te collect the micro particles in the air, but also "viri". I hope it's more than a claim as moh is more prone to be taken down by this virus. Time will tell.
As to the remark that also medical staff from Cuba was sent to Italy, such is indeed mentioned also in the media.

The advise given by the authorities is to maintain social distance. As a friend pointed out, the normal social distance can be maintained especially via the social networks, physical distance has to be paid attention to.