Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 pm
pelmut wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:05 pm I've heard the NHS is so short of supplies.....
Sinned wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:47 pm pelmut, not heard of any shortage.
Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was joking.
See now pelmut, it's shenanigans like that create the panics... :wink:

It's all fun and games until the stores run out of toilet paper...! :lol: :P

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 pmPerhaps I should have made it clearer that I was joking.
It was perfectly clear to this English speaker -- and I had a good laugh at it, too!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Sinned wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:47 pm Ray, there have been documented instances of very fit young men, marathon runners even, who have contracted covid and died. Fitness is no respecter where the virus is concerned. No disrespect, Ray, but he is a fool using such logic to justify not getting the vaccination when his life depends upon it. I don't really have any sympathy for those who refuse or defer the vaccination and get the virus and either get very seriously ill or die.
Dennis,

I agree. He’s an idiot. We all basically told him that. No sympathy at all for his condition. The rest of us are all vaccinated, although my sister had Covid pre-vaccination.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

pelmut, sorry, I didn't pick up on the joke which is unusual for me.

Ray, well there's always one in a family. My second eldest son died of leukaemia and he was in the RAF, went to the gym every day. Tall, blonde and very fit. Didn't make any difference. With the range of treatments you either survive or you don't and he didn't. Seeing him go downhill over a period of 9 months was heartbreaking. It could so easily happen to him and puncture his sense of invincibility and immortality.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Astrazenica Covid Antibody treatment:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medica ... li=BBoPWjQ
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, I'm reading now that apparently you're not "fully vaccinated" unless you've had three shots. So that's a game changer.

Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get the old axe next year if I don't line up another jab. Of course, I don't really know, the fact is nobody knows, and that's the problem... as usual, nobody, not even the government itself knows what the hell is going on.

So we're a pretty intelligent group here, I'm hearing people say you can "mix" these vaccines, thus if you got one brand six months ago, you can get another now. I've already spoken to my doctor about his opinion on mixing vaccines in this way, and he simply said, "I wouldn't". He also stated that at my age and with my overall condition of health "unless they mandate it, I wouldn't worry about getting a booster right now".

I specifically remember them saying earlier on that it is NOT recommended to get different brands of the vaccine, now apparently it's okay?

I'm not an anti-vaxer, but frankly it does seem like they're just throwing everything at this to see what sticks. It's starting to look like we're just doing the same thing over and and over again and expecting a different result.

If they mandate a booster, I'd get the Pfizer, just like I got last spring. But if Moderna or Johnson and Johnson are all that are available to me, then I have a decision to make. Ignore the advise of my doctor, or get fired....

I am not amused.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I’m not a dr TM.

Mixing of moderna/pfizer seems like a reasonably safe thing to do, since they are very close in terms of technology and function. I would be less inclined to mix either of those with J&J.

And frankly if companies start requiring a third shot - that isn’t the end, unfortunately. You’ll never be fully vaccinated - only “protected” for a period of time. Some of this is legitimate - with variants and waning immunity - your body needs to be reminded.

I’m regretting not getting the religious exemption at work - I would still have gotten the vaccination - but it would have been on my terms. However, politically it would have been risky. I figured a booster would be a possibility… just not so soon.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:52 am I’m not a dr TM.

Mixing of moderna/pfizer seems like a reasonably safe thing to do, since they are very close in terms of technology and function. I would be less inclined to mix either of those with J&J.

And frankly if companies start requiring a third shot - that isn’t the end, unfortunately. You’ll never be fully vaccinated - only “protected” for a period of time. Some of this is legitimate - with variants and waning immunity - your body needs to be reminded.

I’m regretting not getting the religious exemption at work - I would still have gotten the vaccination - but it would have been on my terms. However, politically it would have been risky. I figured a booster would be a possibility… just not so soon.
Well, I'm not opposed to getting a booster, but I'd like for it to be the Pfizer, as I had on the first two. By the way, I just went to the walgreens website and filled out my information just to see what they allowed. Interestingly, they stated that despite the CDC's recommendations, they are ONLY allowing people to get the same brand on their booster at this time...

I dunno, my doctor, Walgreens, my gut instinct, all seem to be in agreement here.
I’m regretting not getting the religious exemption at work - I would still have gotten the vaccination - but it would have been on my terms.
The religious exemption really grinds my gears... so what, atheist and agnostics have to get the jab whether they like it or not?? How's that fair? And what about your regret? Did the exemption expire? Does religion expire? So if I decide to join an anti-vax church, pay the tithes (church tax), now I'm exempt from vaccine mandates. What kind of B.S. is that? Boy I tell ya... religion (especially the Christ based ones) has got to key to the most privilege in this country. If you are a follower of Christ, you are almost above the law. Damned American Taliban.

So much for "equal protection under the law". :roll:
I figured a booster would be a possibility… just not so soon.
I debated on lining one up next Monday, but on the other hand a part of me just wants to wait and see.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I mean that just gets me...

My doctor says a booster isn't required... too bad, get one anyway, it's da law...

My preacher says a booster isn't required... yeah, we'll abide that. - Uncle Sam.

It's almost comical... only in America.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Well, part of why I didn’t apply was, well, it would have been a lie. I couldn’t in good conscience write one up.

Additionally, many employers accept not just a religious one, but also a deeply held belief, which legally should be accepted but from what I heard through back channels would be rejected at my place. No need for a god - just, I dunno, just something spiritual. I know at least one person who got theirs waived for vaguely spiritual reasons.

But back to your concern - heck no - I’d never mix the vaccines - but I also don’t think it’s a major issue because they all target the same protein.

And as far as what your dr says vs the government - governments never find solutions that work on an individual level. There’s no time/effort/understanding to accommodate the individual. Statistically you and I are meaningless to big sweeping policies. Short of them having some sort of test to determine immune response, they can’t act at an individual level. Plus, “they know better than you”.

Sadly I don’t know enough about religious liberty in this country to really fully explain why people should be allowed to religiously object to having their bodies violated, but there is precedent in law and so there has to be an accomodation.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Understood, but my issue with the "certain" religious exemptions are, to be clear, what constitutes a genuine religious conviction?

When you boil it right down, pretty much all religious and spiritual beliefs consist of the same logic... and it's a logic rooted in faith. How can the government say to one person that their religious views are valid for a vaccine exemption but not others? What about the religious freedom of minority religions?

It would seem to be that when it comes to this type of thing, public safety should outweigh religious beliefs. After all, the bible clearly states that we may put heathens to death and sell our daughters into slavery, yet this is somehow illegal. Thus we can conclude that there must be a legal mechanism to overrule religious belief when it's in the public interest, and that mechanism can work with the covid19 vaccine mandates, but the Biden administration had decided not to employ it.

Why? Politics.

So politics and religion are bigger than this virus. Mmhmm... :roll:

This is a matter of principle, and that's what bugs me. The Biden administration seeks to eliminate politics from the virus, but by exempting [certain] religion, he has simply doubled down, and it's one of the many, many reasons nobody is taking this thing seriously.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

But is it just certain religions? As was made clear to me, it just had to be a belief - not a specific religion. The letter I saw was so generic it bordered on “woo”, but then again, some would also consider my faith “woo”.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

They're all "woo" Coder.

I don't mean to offend, but it is what it is.

And I'll admit, I still believe in the soul to an extent. I like to think that everything has an "energy" or sorts...

But even so, my beliefs are also "woo". They're just things I say to myself to help cope with life. None of it has any basis in reality or science.

At least I can admit it. :wink:
-Andrea
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My pharmacy said they WILL NOT MIX VACCINE BRANDS :!: PERIOD :!:
There's too much at risk/stake to try mixing brands.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

On the other hand....my Doc suggested mixing was good, just added some more barriers to the virus. Many of us get an annual flu shot...no limit as the flu changes and the vaccines wear out -- so why should Covid be any different? And, each of those flu shots differ to, not just in the formula of the year, but often from different sources from year to year, even at the same dispensary. [I'm no MD either -- but it does seem we are 'over-thinking' what seems a simple procedure that has been hugely successful for many an ailment over decades.]