Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Sinned »

Apparently the emotional, illogical and hardline stance taken by antivaxxers has parallels in the past. In the mid-1980's there was a similar reaction to the compulsory wearing of seatbelts with the anti-brigade using similar arguments that antivaxxers use today. The following are only 2 sites out of several:

https://www.history.com/news/seat-belt-laws-resistance

https://www.businessinsider.com/when-am ... ?r=US&IR=T
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

If the vaccine works, then we should not have to worry about anti-vaccine people.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 am If the vaccine works, then we should not have to worry about anti-vaccine people.
Only problem is that the unvaccinated will be a pool of infections where mutations can arise, perhaps ones that the current vaccines aren't effective with.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

denimini wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:59 am
Freedomforall wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 am If the vaccine works, then we should not have to worry about anti-vaccine people.
Only problem is that the unvaccinated will be a pool of infections where mutations can arise, perhaps ones that the current vaccines aren't effective with.
That could very well happen too. Have you seen the latest study out of Israel?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 am Have you seen the latest study out of Israel?
No.
I usually don't bother reading many "studies" unless I have a good idea of their provenance. There is little I can so with the knowledge anyway as I am not a legistrator.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Freedomforall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm

If the vaccine works, then we should not have to worry about anti-vaccine people.
One of the problems is an immense, unnecessary expense; trying to save their lives at the cost of tying up hospital beds to the extent that other people cannot get elective procedures done, non-emergency ones must wait, and right now (in the Southern part of this State we are visiting --Oregon) even people in crisis and in need of ER services are being turned away for lack of beds and staff. Don't have a heart attack, stroke, or critical auto accident lest you die while antivaxxers occupy the bed and services you need.

I don't know how many States, but here kids under 12 still haven't been granted access to vaccines, but they are supposed to be in school -- gonna send your kid?

The list of implications goes on, as it does with most digressions from having a social conscience -- the rest of us pay for the consequences.

They rob me of my freedom daily...for what? The hue and cry is ridiculous -- Every State in this country has some mandated vaccines, and most of us who have travelled have had to comply with more as well. There was very little protest until the thing was made political. Maybe like Moon said a bit ago -- don't trust ANY politician. So, if you are truly for freedom for all -- get the jab, it is a token to "pay" for living in society.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There may be hope. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... li=BBoPWjQ

Over here they have started over 12 vaccinations and booster jabs for 0ver 50's and susceptibles.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:59 pm In the mid-1980's there was a similar reaction to the compulsory wearing of seatbelts with the anti-brigade using similar arguments that antivaxxers use today.
And there was another about compulsory helmets for motorcyclists.

Myself, I think something that would help would be to teach elementary statistics in schools. It might give people a better grasp of the risks in taking or not taking a particular course of action, and of how great those risks truly are.

I don't know anything about the Cuban vaccine, but with any of the others the associated hazards are tiny in comparison with those of catching the disease proper. You'd have to be wilfully number-blind not to accept this.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Check out https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/
A commonality of all these poor sods is a complete inability to determine real information from bogus stuff on FB and the like. Another common thread is religion (for similar reasons).
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Of all the "Arm Chair Quarterbacks" I've read here,
which professional "TEAM" are you playing/rooting for :?:

When in doubt - talk with your Doctor :!:
Stop the He said/She said attitudes of Miss-information :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What is sad is that even though some have seen, in some cases multiple, relations die from covid they still deny the reality that the vaccine saves lives. It may not be perfect and it may, in rare cases, have side effects but it does save lives. Seems trite to say, "I told you so," but "I told you so."

I was resistant to having flu jabs until recently, not because I didn't think they worked, but because whenever I had a flu jab I came down with the symptoms of flu. So I thought I would take my chances. I had a flu jab last year because a GP I trust said that as a diabetic my chances of dying would be vastly greater without some immunity from the flu and covid. So I will have flu jabs in future and have been double covid jabbed. I will have any future boosters that are offered. I want to increase my chances of living for a good few more years so, to me, it's a no-btainer.

Incidentally I have a mole on my upper arm that I thought might be a melanoma. I have been to see my GP and she doesn't think it is but has taken photos of it to send of to a dermatologist for a second opinion. Knowing that melanomas can kill if not caught early enough it was a wake up call to my mortality and that one's life can turn on an instant from something one can't control. Suddenly one's plans for the future take on a different slant. Scary.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

TheRod wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 am Check out https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/
A commonality of all these poor sods is a complete inability to determine real information from bogus stuff on FB and the like. Another common thread is religion (for similar reasons).
See Tom,

That's why I write long post regarding my thoughts on matters...

I never know when I might pass and my photo is placed on a website such as the ones linked (I'm anti-mask at the moment [0])

At least my "page" will be nothing but long drawn out explanations for why I am the way I am... not just endless regurgitated memes.

[0] I was told if I got the vaccine a mask is no longer required.

Now I'm being told I have to wear one to protect the people who refuse to vaccinate.

Nope.

As for the bleeding hearts out there regarding the kids and those with compromised immune systems... don't worry... I'm a natural social distancer. Been that way since childhood. I never approach anyone sans mask. If they approach me, that's their choice.

Besides, I need to brush up against the covid bug every so often to keep my antibodies trained (I wonder if I may have done so a couple months ago... I felt icky for a couple days and the arm I got the shot in was achy during that time)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:49 am ncidentally I have a mole on my upper arm that I thought might be a melanoma. I have been to see my GP and she doesn't think it is but has taken photos of it to send of to a dermatologist for a second opinion. Knowing that melanomas can kill if not caught early enough it was a wake up call to my mortality and that one's life can turn on an instant from something one can't control. Suddenly one's plans for the future take on a different slant. Scary
Indeed, after than basil skin cell thingy on my ear I now have an official dermatologist I see annually (per him) to keep at eye out for future developments...

I'm glad I do.

I'm also glad I've got insurance, those appointments would run a thousand bucks a piece if I didn't.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 amI was told if I got the vaccine a mask is no longer required.

Now I'm being told I have to wear one to protect the people who refuse to vaccinate.

Nope.
This sentiment seems to be gaining ground as the socially-responsible ones who "took one for the team", thus taking a risk themselves for the sake of the society, are now being shoved around by the irresponsible ones -- and aren't liking it. I know more than a few folks who would put unvaccinated COVID "sufferers" at the far rear of the queue for health care. Some of those are health-care professionals, I'll add. There's lots of folks with short fuses at the moment: We've done our part. Why are we allowing the irresponsible ones further injure society?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am
moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 amI was told if I got the vaccine a mask is no longer required.

Nope.
This sentiment seems to be gaining ground as the socially-responsible ones who "took one for the team", thus taking a risk themselves for the sake of the society, are now being shoved around by the irresponsible ones -- and aren't liking it. I know more than a few folks who would put unvaccinated COVID "sufferers" at the far rear of the queue for health care. Some of those are health-care professionals, I'll add. There's lots of folks with short fuses at the moment: We've done our part. Why are we allowing the irresponsible ones further injure society?
I'm glad you took it like that. I had and still have reservations about publicizing my position on mask.

But in point of fact, what you described is basically how I feel about it. I am required to wear them at work, though we have a few customers that don't seem to mind either way. As to what I do in those situations... (lips sealed)

Otherwise I will make exceptions,

If I enter an establishment that requires them and I see everyone inside wearing one, then I'll wear one, but if I get in there and catch patrons or especially employees not wearing one, then I'm taking it back off.

I will respect the rules of a business. I wear it for that reason alone.

As for my level of empathy for the anti-vax people... I care about as much for their hide as they seem to do mine.

I took both shots, I have no regrets.
-Andrea