Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Faldaguy »

by RADIATE » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:37 pm

pelmut wrote: ↑Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:11 pm
The mask reduces the chance of an infected wearer spreading the virus to others, it does not protect the wearer against catching the virus.

Actually, masks DO protect the wearer against catching the virus. Empirical observations from 100+ years ago during the H1N1 "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918: Nurses who wore simple cloth face coverings (headscarf, whatever) tended to stay healthier and avoid the virus much longer than those who did not. Those early observations are still reflected in current studies. The better the mask, the better the protection. Up to 83% for N-95 masks, worn properly. A very significant level of protection.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm
Thank you Radiate for posting this. This is another example of a "big lie" that has been so frequently repeated it has become another urban myth.

To contend that masks only provide one-way protection is naïve. Mast do help keep an infected person from spreading disease but masks also help prevent the wearer from getting the virus. The claim anti-maskers would have us believe, 'that a mask does nothing to help people from getting the virus'--is purely fabrication.

It is true that the mask alone will not protect you, but it certainly helps -- a lot. Why for heavens sake would Doctors, and most medical professionals have been wearing masks all these years? Clue: It is not because they are afraid of infecting their sick patient.

That masks don't help is just another BIG LIE from the likes of Q-anon, along with equally big lies like Trump won the election-- repeat, repeat, repeat and sadly enough people fall for the repeated falsehoods. It is long past time for us to be buying this non-sense just because we are tired to masks. Masks alone will not "save" us; no single precaution ever will -- but to deny their efficacy altogether is tragic.

Thank you again for speaking up -- I hope to hear more from you on the subject of skirts too!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

RADIATE wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:37 am
pelmut wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:11 pm The mask reduces the chance of an infected wearer spreading the virus to others, it does not protect the wearer against catching the virus.
Actually, masks DO protect the wearer against catching the virus.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm
There were 8 caveats to that report, so it might be more accurate to say there is some evidence to suggest that masks might help to protect the wearer against catching the virus.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Being a full-time 'face' worker who several times daily undertakes root canal treatment on back teeth, necessitating prolonged proximity in the order of six inches (15Cm) to patients with mouths wide open and not wearing masks, I defend the use of face masks for the operator(s), the other one being my chairside assistant who is almost as close. Two years into Covid we have not tested positive...yet.

Late in 1986 the Aids scare hit. Prior to that, for routine dental procedures we merely washed our hands between cases. Lecture slides taken illustrating procedures prior to that time show naked fingers in view. Since late 1986 the wearing of operating gloves was suddenly mandatory and I remember one lecturer referring to operating bare-handed now as walking naked into someone's dining room. Those of us already used to using surgical gloves for operative procedures had no difficulty getting used to wearing them all the time.

So, tactile infection is taken care of by the gloves and air-borne infection is effectively parried by the face masks. These two items allow us continue working. We also gown-up.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well coronavirus has had a great effect on my last few weeks of existence, I was part of a team who had to visit and deliver training to a bunch of folk based in the Chagos islands. So, after a taxi into Glasgow, a 1.5 hour flight to Heathrow. Followed by an hour or so in Heathrow, then embarked onto a Bahrain flight, which sat in Heathrow due to a technical fault, We then changed to another aircraft and finally set off on the maybe 6 hour flight to Bahrain. From leaving Glasgow to Bahrain, then taxi around Bahrain, a PCR test, then more taxi, eventually arriving at the hotel an once in the room I could take the bloody mask off for the first time. That was a long time in a mask!
Our next flight was delayed by a day, once that kicked off, cue another 7 hours wearing a mask, on a military flight in a C17, the highlight of that flight was a tactical landing, wow! if only the thing had windows! apparently that means 20,000 feet a minute with thrust reversers keeping the speed in limits, no wonder the thing shook like it did! then high speed turns until the landing.
We then had to isolate for 8 days, not allowed to leave the room unless there was an emergency, £500 fine if caught. Great fun! Then a PCR test to see if we were fit to leave the room. 5 days of work then the three flights home, masked again.
Thoroughly sick of covid, masks and travel!
I will go back to staying in the house as much as possible because I hate wearing masks and they hurt my lugs. Okay in England they have dropped the requirement but where I live in Scotland masks are still required in shops and on public transport.
I think I will just pull the house back over my head and hide from the world until a better one crawls past!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very interesting post, B&B. I had no idea you were a member of the Special Forces Squad. Fine bits of kit, those C17s and a descent at 20.000 ft/minute ,must have been quite hard on the eardrums, too. At least, sitting in a narrowboat gently subsiding in a canal lock is easy on everything.

Agreed, prolonged mask-wearing is a right pain. As a spectacle wearer I encounter a fogging problem too when entering somewhere which is colder/hotter than where I've just come from.

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Hi Tom,
Yep, misting is a problem with the masks, for me, I get pain behind my ears as well, then the damn things keep getting tangled with the arms of my specs, really annoying.
Not special forces, but as civilians working for our Navy we have to go to places like Diego Garcia to make sure our guys there know what they are doing for certain subjects. The strangest thing I found on Diego Garcia is that as you leave the air conditioned buildings you walk outside and your glasses mist up. I remember something similar happen down a coal mine, you walk through a door into hot and moist air and your glasses instantly fog up.
As for the C17 tactical landing, it was so loud in the thing, then once they started the dive, we were in sideways facing seats, so we were just hanging on while the aircraft felt like it was shaking itself apart, I don't remember even noticing ears popping!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:11 pm Yep, misting is a problem with the masks, for me, I get pain behind my ears as well,
Use longer elastic in the form of horizontal loops instead of vertical ones, so that one loop goes around the back of your neck and the other goes around the back of your head higher up.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My problem with masks goes one step further. I wear hearing aids so behind my ears I have the aid body, glasses arm, mask and, believe it or not I can even fit a pencil a la diy mode. It's amazing how much can be fitted. I find that, on taking off the mask, for one side or another the string of the mask gets tangled with the aid meaning that I have to take the aid out to untangle it. No, I don't like wearing a mask and do so very reluctantly.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dennis,
An Irish construction worker was fourteen stories up on a building site in London when a girder from above fell down shaving his head and lopped his ear right off.
Screaming blue murder he clasped his hand to his head and took the scaffold lift down to the bottom and staggered into the foreman's hut shouting that his ear had been sheared off high up on the building.
The foreman quickly got a posse of lads going poking through the mud at the bottom of the scaffold lift, when one of them came in after a few minutes with a human ear in his hand and the foreman asked the Irish bloke if he recognized his ear.?

'Naw, dat caan't be muyne' he said. 'Muyne hadda pincil stuck just insuyed de top !'

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Titter ye not! One rather nice side effect of being away for a couple of weeks; my cats are now being very attentive! all three of them spending a lot of time close, if not on top, of me. I thought I might have had to travel away to foreign particles again for a week, but thankfully someone else is going to take that trip. Some time at home will be nice!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

After the adventure you described I'd prescribe a rest time spent at home with your puss-a-cats. You're all they have and they just want to show it.

The PTSD will wear away in time....

This morning I walked my Benjy in Minus 3 deg. Centipede, wooly hat, gloves &c. Only yesterday evening I strolled the Security Staff in my shorts! Temperature drop of 21 degrees!

Tom
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:05 pm ... One rather nice side effect of being away for a couple of weeks; my cats are now being very attentive! all three of them spending a lot of time close, if not on top, of me.!
Don't mistake it for friendship, they just want the warmth.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

pelmut wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 am
Big and Bashful wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:05 pm ... One rather nice side effect of being away for a couple of weeks; my cats are now being very attentive! all three of them spending a lot of time close, if not on top, of me.!
Don't mistake it for friendship, they just want the warmth.
Very true. If it weren't for the fact we are warmth and food providers, they'd be plotting to get rid of us.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

The sign above the cat food station here reads: If cats could text you back, they wouldn't!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I could use a cat's company right now.
In solitary confinement as I tested positive on the lateral flow this morning.
PCR test done and hope result to be had in 24-72 hours.
Not ill, just damnably bored, already.
I was at work on Saturday and left the kit in the office so I cannot even do that.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!
Steve,