Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by moonshadow »

And Gusto,

I hope for your sake you don't catch this thing and wind up fighting for your life in the hospital.

I hope we don't see your name on that anti-vax website.

You're tempting fate by going all over the internet encouraging people to not get vaccinated. This is crow you don't want to eat.

I'm coming up on a year now since I've gotten my first jab... where are these long term side effects? Where are my wife's? Where are my mother's? My sister's? My father's? Everyone I work with has gotten the jabs, many have gotten the boosters, where are these long term side effects?

I was shocked to learn even my own ultra-Trumpie father informed me he's getting the booster shot. Why? Because his health sucks and despite the fact he hates life, he doesn't seem to want to die.

Getting the shot is like going in the house during a bad winter storm. Sure the storm could still blow your house down anyway, but it's very unlikely and it's better than sleeping out in the cold.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:37 pmI know a nurse who works in the COVID ICU, she's been trying to transfer out of ICU for a while now and they keep having to put more resources into the ICU... which means she will not be transferred (her latest request was denied).
The sad part here is that unless she gets a break -- and soon -- she may well burn out to the point of having to quit. The saddest part of this is that most of the folks who go into the medical fields do so out of a sincere desire to help their fellow man, and they're profoundly saddened and distraught by the amount of death that they're having to deal with (and attend to), much of which is now preventable by the vaccines.

I find it difficult to imagine the emotional load those folks are under -- especially i they cannot simply "disconnect". However, if they "disconnect" that could compromise their efficacy in their jobs. So they selflessly soldier on and eventually burn out. Sad.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Novak Djokovic is currently quarantined in Australia attempting to enter almost certainly unvaccinated under an attempted exemption. The reason for the exemption is not currently known but could be because he has recently had corona virus. My take on what has happened is that the Australian Tennis offered the exemption and the Victoria state offered the exemption despite the Federal government saying that prior infection is not a qualification for the exemption. Also the issued visa was the incorrect one and took no account of the exemption. So when he turned up at Border Force Australia they studied the paperwork and rejected his application for entry. The exemption and visa are separate issues. So he is in a quarantine hotel at the government's pleasure. He is being treated like any other immigrant and has had an application for an alternative location where he can practice rejected. His case will not be heard until Monday afternoon. I think that if he is unvaccinated then he application should be rejected and he be placed on the next plane out. Whatever the outcome of this situation he will face others because such as France have similar edicts. Yes, it is his choice to be unvaccinated but with choice comes consequences. He is facing the consequences. It would be easier to just have the vaccine. On a wider issues he seems to have some really strange issues about the body and health issues.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:08 pm Word on the local street is that many nurses and other medical staff are quitting due to vaccine mandates. I'm not sure where they're going as most medical systems I'm aware of have, or will soon have similar mandates, but it's just another factor contributing to the overall labor shortage.
Yes, that too... although I would like to see some real numbers on the actual count. I know a lot of people who talk like that... but then bow down to pressure when their livelihood will go away.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:35 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:08 pm Word on the local street is that many nurses and other medical staff are quitting due to vaccine mandates. I'm not sure where they're going as most medical systems I'm aware of have, or will soon have similar mandates, but it's just another factor contributing to the overall labor shortage.
Yes, that too... although I would like to see some real numbers on the actual count. I know a lot of people who talk like that... but then bow down to pressure when their livelihood will go away.
I too.

I know a lot of people talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk. When this comes up, I usually ask "where are they going?". I mean, as far as I know, the need to make a living suddenly doesn't cease the moment someone doesn't want to do something like get a vaccine.

I understand that in some situations, an employee might leave and go work somewhere where the mandate isn't required, but I imagine that if you're in the medical industry, your employer is likely going to require vaccines. For example, if you're a retail worker working for Walmart (who has over 100 employees), and Walmart is trying to force you to take the jab, I suppose you could quit and go work for a mom and pop place, and there are plenty of retail/hospitality places of employment where the business has fewer than 100 employees... but with the medical system, I'm not so sure, unless you go to work for a independent doctor with a smaller practice.

Anyway, I think Ballad Health is pleading with authorities to not enforce the shots. They have the Tennessee state government on their side, so who knows...

Funny, if Trump was still the president and he was mandating vaccines (and he would, lets not kid ourselves). The roles would be reversed. Governor Lee (R-Tn) would be force pumping so much covid shot in your system it would be coming out of your ears, and blue states would be the ones refusing the jab.

Tis all politics. Nothing more.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:31 pm I find it difficult to imagine the emotional load those folks are under -- especially i they cannot simply "disconnect". However, if they "disconnect" that could compromise their efficacy in their jobs. So they selflessly soldier on and eventually burn out. Sad.
I found this first hand account of a nurse working in a hospital, and anybody who can handle that day-in, day-out deserves a medal and big fat pay rise. I couldn't do that and I have enormous respect for people who can.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:13 pmI found this first hand account of a nurse working in a hospital, and anybody who can handle that day-in, day-out deserves a medal and big fat pay rise. I couldn't do that and I have enormous respect for people who can.
That's a rough read, and ought to be mandatory reading for the anti-vax crowd. It's not just your life you're gambling with. Your actions have repercussions.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That was a hard read, I have had to dry my eyes after that one. I am just glad that as far as I know, my little pool of friends, family and acquaintances are happily vaxxed up and taking the recommended precautions. I admire the Health service and what they are doing, I couldn't do what they do,

When and how is this going to end? Buggered if I know!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm When and how is this going to end? Buggered if I know!
It isn't going to end.

The epidemic became a pandemic and the virus will now become endemic (lots of ..demics around).

It will most likely become similar to the flu, regular outbreaks will occur and people will still die, but in lower numbers, as a yearly vaccine jab and better medication will reduce its impact.

I suspect most restrictions will be lifted over the course of this year, as it is becoming almost impossible to enforce them. Whether that is good or bad I don't know, but it is certainly an incentive to get (or stay) fit and healthy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:08 pmIt isn't going to end.

The epidemic became a pandemic and the virus will now become endemic (lots of ..demics around).

It will most likely become similar to the flu, regular outbreaks will occur and people will still die, but in lower numbers, as a yearly vaccine jab and better medication will reduce its impact.
That's the scenario I see as well. The main question is how badly we're going to be psychologically affected by the ham-fisted way that everything is being handled. Sadly, nobody's talking about that elephant in the room -- the amount of psychological, economic, and sociological damage that has been done to the societies involved. And it's likely only going to get worse before it gets better as we get wave after wave of new variants.
I suspect most restrictions will be lifted over the course of this year, as it is becoming almost impossible to enforce them. Whether that is good or bad I don't know, but it is certainly an incentive to get (or stay) fit and healthy.
Time will tell. What I know now is that travel is impossible for me because of the respiratory distress caused by what I call "mask madness" unless I undertake it in my own personal automobile.

What I fear is also gone for the rest of my time on this miserable rock is the power of the human touch, whether it be a simple handshake, a pleasant hug, or a passionate embrace. I fear those are gone forever.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:11 pm What I fear is also gone for the rest of my time on this miserable rock is the power of the human touch, whether it be a simple handshake, a pleasant hug, or a passionate embrace. I fear those are gone forever.
Not everywhere. Lots of people enter my personal space every day (just like they used to prior to covid) My neighbors and I live like nothing is going on. We're always passing food back and forth, tools, paying quick visits, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, someone reached out their hand during an introduction for a handshake. I gladly obliged. It felt good to feel human again.

I am a little concerned about my father. He has been struggling with some serious breathing issues for the last couple of years, and it has gotten pretty bad over the last couple of months where he reports he can't even walk from one side of a room to the other without getting terribly winded and having to lay down for 15 minutes to catch his breath. He just cleared a lung cancer screening, so that's good, but he still doesn't know what's causing the issues. He visits the doctor again next week.

I suspect he'll be a candidate to be placed on oxygen. He said he hasn't touched a cigarette since early December. He's been a lifelong chain smoker since he was a teenager.

I realize that one can survive on oxygen for several years, but lets face it, despite being vaccinated, if he contracts even a mild case of covid, it would likely be fatal for him.

We've always said that "this year is going to be the last" for Dad. Yet he always pulls though. We said the same thing about my step father... until the one day he didn't [pull through], and he's been dead for over five years.
-Andrea
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:11 pm That's the scenario I see as well. The main question is how badly we're going to be psychologically affected by the ham-fisted way that everything is being handled. Sadly, nobody's talking about that elephant in the room -- the amount of psychological, economic, and sociological damage that has been done to the societies involved. And it's likely only going to get worse before it gets better as we get wave after wave of new variants.
On the one hand I worry about this. and on the other hand I talk to a 30-something cousin of mine who has basically switched off the news and visits friends and goes to private parties as if nothing was going on. They're all vaccinated and they self-test when they have symptoms or if they've been around someone who tested positive. And do the quarantine thing. But other than that just continue as normal as possible.

People will be people, they don't change that fast and will fall back into old patterns faster than you might think.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

B&B - I, like you, read the article and was similarly emotionally affected.

I lost a friend to Covid last month. He was 47 abc had MS, so had a compromised immune system. This thing kills, and to not vaccinate can condemn people to death.

I despise the wilfully unvaccinated. They cause death. They are stupid. They are selfish.

I’ll stop there.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I also found reading the article difficult. We hear on the news of another 153 deaths from Covid but the article brought home that there are 153 versions of that scenario taking place with its toll on the people involved. Actually it brings back memories of our son laid in a hospital bed dying of leukaemia and us watching every breath knowing that one minute soon it would be his last. The pain we felt when it happened just defies description. I certainly haven't got over it and the grief takes over for a short while as the tears flow. All his family were there which was a comfort. Unlike some of you that don't believe in an afterlife, I know there is one. My wife and I have felt his presence checking up on us occasionally. No drop in temperature or anything like that but we both note a change at the same time. We will meet again.

This is one reason I have little sympathy with the unvaccinated - it's those around him at his passing and those left behind I feel sorry for.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:17 pm And Gusto,

I hope for your sake you don't catch this thing and wind up fighting for your life in the hospital.

I hope we don't see your name on that anti-vax website.

You're tempting fate by going all over the internet encouraging people to not get vaccinated. This is crow you don't want to eat.

I'm coming up on a year now since I've gotten my first jab... where are these long term side effects? Where are my wife's? Where are my mother's? My sister's? My father's? Everyone I work with has gotten the jabs, many have gotten the boosters, where are these long term side effects?

I was shocked to learn even my own ultra-Trumpie father informed me he's getting the booster shot. Why? Because his health sucks and despite the fact he hates life, he doesn't seem to want to die.

Getting the shot is like going in the house during a bad winter storm. Sure the storm could still blow your house down anyway, but it's very unlikely and it's better than sleeping out in the cold.
Moon,

Thanks for your concern.

I have had the virus, so has moh and eventhough she is a member of the high risk group, both got through it without serious problems having followed the advise of a former Pfizer employee whe still receives the internal information.

You won't find me on an anti-vax site. All I'm propagating is try to be informed of the pro's and contra's, it's your dicision whether or not to get the jab, but respect the other for his dicision. Be critical of the stand of both sides, be critical of hypes of either side. I have the luck of having a number of friends and neighbours with a medical training. Due to circumstances, amongst other by working in the field of medical liability, I got a better understanding of medical issues myself.