Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Bikerkilt »

glad to here that you are on the mend
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH and I are fairly certain that we had it in mid-December. We had a bad cough, fever, aches and so on. And MOH never ever gets a viral infection so the alarm bells should have been ringing at the time. It's only hindsight that has brought the understanding. The cough seemed to recede then come back again. In talking to customers this seems to be a fairly common situation. So maybe it was a bit more prevalent late last year than has been realised.

Well I am now in lock down as a category 2 patient. I had a 1:1 yesterday at the end of shift and the format was the reading of a set of questions about possible things I may have had - heart disease, kidney disease, cancer, neurological such as Parkinsons etc. My diabetes and that I qualify for free flu jabs makes me category 2. I have to self-isolate for the next two weeks. Elementary, really, as the stores I work for have closed completely. I receive full pay based on my 16 hour contract until the end of April. Workers over here are paid, by the Government, at 80% of their normal pay subject to some limits. Virtually everything has shut down except JD Sports whose owner Mike Ashley [0] seems to think that offering sports gear is an essential service. Judging by the footffall in our store yesterday he'll get very few customers and the ill-will he will be generating will follow him for a while after all this is over. MOH's garage is still working today as there are jobs to finish off and MOT's have been booked in but if the spare parts supply chain dries up then the garage will be forced to close.

Two thingsa occurred to me and I probably already know the answer to them. Since we are all on reduced pay will our MP's be subject to this? And as a non-essential service will they all have to stay at home like the rest of us?

[0] AKA a money grabbing b*st*rd
Last edited by Sinned on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sorry for your getting ill, Pelmut, but it's great news that you made it through the damned thing seemingly without any serious side effects. Hopefully you'll now be immune from re-infection and congratulations on picking up on the symptoms and doing the right thing by not knowingly transmitting it once you realised what was going on. Very well played, indeed.

Thanks for the first-hand details of the initial symptoms and the progression.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:06 am Thanks for the first-hand details of the initial symptoms and the progression.
Two caveats here:

1) It may not be C 19, as I have not been tested.
2)   There is some evidence to suggest that the severity of the disease could be related to the degree of initial exposure.  My exposure to it could only have been minimal and by the aerosol route, because I took all the usual precautions against hand transfer. 

In other words: YMMV
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am MOH and I are fairly certain that we had it in mid-December. We had a bad cough, fever, aches and so on. And MOH never ever gets a viral infection so the alarm bells should have been ringing at the time. It's only hindsight that has brought the understanding. The cough seemed to recede then come back again. In talking to customers this seems to be a fairly common situation. So maybe it was a bit more prevalent late last year than has been realised.
I've been hearing that a lot: stories of pre-Christmas 'flu unlike anything previously experienced, so perhaps something has been going on in the U.K. that nobody was aware of.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am1) It may not be C 19, as I have not been tested.
2)   There is some evidence to suggest that the severity of the disease could be related to the degree of initial exposure.  My exposure to it could only have been minimal and by the aerosol route, because I took all the usual precautions against hand transfer. 
Call up your health-care provider and relate to them the symptoms experienced and the likely vector and see if they want to test you or if they can offer insight. A detailed description of the symptoms will be the decider. They may decide not to test, especially now that you're "out of the woods". Given that there was somebody else present at that even, plus the symptoms described, makes for a moderately compelling case.
In other words: YMMV
That always applies.

I've had people staying extra distance from me recently because of the chronic sniffles that I have each and every winter, all winter long (and have had such for decades), and the result from all the irritation from the incessant post-nasal drip is a dry cough. It ain't easy bein' a pariah. But at least it's nothing different from every year. So, no, I haven't had it even in the unlikely event I was exposed.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I’m just looking forward to the antibody tests. They will tell us how prevalent this things was, whether I or my family members had it in February, and just how over - or under - the reaction to it was. Looking at Italy we certainly want to flatten the curve - but perhaps a different strategy could have been employed than shutting everything down.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Veering slightly off-topic, but just wondering how many people (outside of this forum, naturally) think that men wearing skirts is "against the rules" but will ignore rules around self-isolation to stay healthy for whatever reason springs into their minds?
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 am Call up your health-care provider and relate to them the symptoms experienced and the likely vector and see if they want to test you
They can't even get tested themselves, any remaining testing kits are earmarked for hospital staff.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm
crfriend wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 amCall up your health-care provider and relate to them the symptoms experienced and the likely vector and see if they want to test you
They can't even get tested themselves, any remaining testing kits are earmarked for hospital staff.
Oh, Hell, you have the same problem we do. At least ring 'em up and query them on the symptoms; it may be useful for getting counted. Although I'm rather sure that they are having their share of hypochondriacs. Can't hurt to try, anyway.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Coder wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:01 pm ... we certainly want to flatten the curve - but perhaps a different strategy could have been employed than shutting everything down.
The most critical factor is the time between catching the virus and passing it on to one other person.  The particular danger with C 19 is that this time is about 3 days; shorter than the time taken to develop any symptoms and a lot faster than most other common viruses.  Try fiddling about with that parameter in this very crude spreadsheet and you will see what it means in terms of infection and death rates.  If you want a more thorough approach, try this.

I don't know what strategy is possible other than lock-down, nothing else will work until a vaccine becomes available.  I'm sure there will be arguments about the way the lock-down and any mitigation measures have been implimented, but lock-down it has to be.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

renesm1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 pm Veering slightly off-topic, but just wondering how many people (outside of this forum, naturally) think that men wearing skirts is "against the rules" but will ignore rules around self-isolation to stay healthy for whatever reason springs into their minds?
I'm not sure how many people in the world think we're breaking the rules, but I do think that isolation violators break isolation rules for about the same core reason we wear skirts...

...Freedom. Nobody likes being restrained or told what they can and can not do. I'll admit I loathe this isolation shut down... it reminds me of being "grounded" as a child... not allowed to go out, mingle, and play.

However wearing a skirt causes no physical hardships to the public at large, spreading a disease does.

At any rate, society elected these clowns for this absolute circus. That indicates to me that society is likely as insane as the leaders they elect to represent them. I don't want to hear any nonsense about how I choose to live my life from this populace! When they get their house in order then I might listen to their concerns.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Compared to Europe and the Far East, in the USA there still is a lot of freedom of movement. In France and Spain you need a form from the police to leave the house and your outside activities are very limited. The Netherlands are (yet) more relaxed, they limit customers into supermarkets at the rate of one customer per ten square meter.

What p!ssed me off most is the crazy people that are hoarding the essentials. When it was too late the shops were limiting the amount per customer of some goods. We still have toilet paper for some weeks but when that is gone and the shops are still out of it, I have to go to Plan B, wood shavings. I can plane wood to get paper thin shavings, but not guaranteed splinter free.
IMG_0236q.jpg
IMG_0237q.jpg
Will this count as a wooden creation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi BL,

Naw ! A suspended loo roll doesn't qualify as a wooden creation :blue: Shopping last w/end down in Kerry, loo rolls were in short supply. Shopping just today here where we live there were shelves packed full of the things.

As a dentist I am necessarily right in the front line of potential exposure and the nature of my work means that 'social distancing' just cannot apply.

Some dental practices have closed for the present and we, being a triumvirate and chugging along for the present on two alternating cylinders, one of which is me. For instance this week I'm booked out Monday and just a half day Tue.Wed & Friday. Thursday off.
We are using patients' cars as extra waiting room., calling them in when we are actually ready to see them. Pain relief only, everything routine or previously planned has been put on hold.
How long we can or may continue like this is anybody's guess. Nobody is bailing us out financially, that's for sure.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have 4 rolls of TP ready for use But use TP sparingly. :D
What I use to supplement the TP supply is a Wash Cloth and Warm Soapy Water. :thumright:
It is actually better than TP as it actually cleans instead of just smearing it into a thin layer on your bum. It also feels good too...
:bluebounce: :bluebounce:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.