Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Gusto10 »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:57 pm
by Gusto10 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:28 pm

rode_kater wrote: ↑Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:31 am
Gusto10 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 am
https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ ... t-problems
Good they're doing research but I find it amazing they can get sufficient statistical power here. Every year millions of people get heart inflammation for all sorts of reasons and it's mostly young people there too. The power of big numbers, huh?

The important part is no-one died, which still makes it better than the alternative.
It's a pity that the figures on deceased caused by vaccins are not provided. Just recently a dear friend in perfect health, aged 72, died within two days after receiving the first jab
Gusto, did he get hit by a car? What are the other factors if any, or was he one of the "0.0017%" that may have succumbed from added impact of an injection?

There is some data on post vaccine deaths that "Might" be attributable to it -- no doubt some are, but again you seem to want to stretch the unlikely the maybe and the "if" factors into being a sound basis for avoiding what is clearly a highly beneficial life saving treatment for the multitude. Here is just one such report from the CDC for stats about 3 months ago.

Reports of death after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. More than 310 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through June 14, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 5,343 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine.
Fal: if such would have been the case I wouldn't have mentioned it. He was doingchores around the house and about to go for a bike ride with his grandchildren.
I was told by a salesmanager of a big pharma company active in the field that it isn't uncommon.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

So Coder, your reasoning proves that the vaccines DO work, even though they are not perfect, by the indication that contagion, hospitalisation and deaths would be a lot lower as vaccination approaches 100%.

Gusto10, without any revelation as to the reason for the death your statement is inflammatory and ultimately meaningless. More detail, please. If you are anti-vaxx then fine, but you appear to be in the ( very small ) miniority. If you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem. There are no half-ways in this.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Sinned wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm So Coder, your reasoning proves that the vaccines DO work, even though they are not perfect, by the indication that contagion, hospitalisation and deaths would be a lot lower as vaccination approaches 100%.

Gusto10, without any revelation as to the reason for the death your statement is inflammatory and ultimately meaningless. More detail, please. If you are anti-vaxx then fine, but you appear to be in the ( very small ) miniority. If you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem. There are no half-ways in this.
Sinned, again, if there an other reason for the cause of death other than, I wouldn't have mentioend it.

In respect of coping with the virus, there is a third possibility: having become imune by having had it.

What does surprise me, is in general the lack of openmindedness on other subjects than the one that binds SC.

I shall refrain form further comments.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm So Coder, your reasoning proves that the vaccines DO work, even though they are not perfect, by the indication that contagion, hospitalisation and deaths would be a lot lower as vaccination approaches 100%.
I’m not saying the vaccines are bad or don’t work - I’m just setting expectations as eventually people are going to start saying “most everyone in the hospital has been vaccinated”. We are along way from that point - I think we’d need vaccinations in the upper 90%.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Coder wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:53 pm
I’m not saying the vaccines are bad or don’t work - I’m just setting expectations as eventually people are going to start saying “most everyone in the hospital has been vaccinated”. We are along way from that point - I think we’d need vaccinations in the upper 90%.
In the British Medical Journal of about 4 weeks ago, it was indicated, that in case of hospitalization with covid of people over 50, the ratio non vaccinated/vaccinated is about 50/50. In Israel, with the 70+ about 80% of cases in hospital is double vaccinated. That's why they are promoting there the third jab.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:22 pmI shall refrain form further comments.
Please. I think we've had enough misinformation and conspiracy-theory. The problem is that folks somehow naturally seem to gravitate to the latter because the actual facts can be pretty darn boring.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Reference please, Gusto. You can't go making statements like that without citation.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

You know, I think Gusto is on to something. Think about it.

No vaccinations, and mass immunity. Sounds good to me. I mean, 99.4% of the population are going to get through this just fine, with only one in 10 having long Covid - lasting problems.

Okay, so for the UK’s 67 million, only 402,000 would die, and let’s face it, they are the unwell ones anyway. Sure, it will clog up the health services, leading to the cancellation of elective surgery, but hey; these guys were going to die anyway of cancer, right? Say, 200,000.

With only 6.7m suffering from ongoing illness, it’s a drop in the ocean. The economy will be in rude health. I mean, it’s not as if long term sufferers can’t work.

Just think about it. I know Peru has lost 0.6% of its population already to Covid, but globally, things aren’t that bad. With 7.9 bin, that would be only 47.4m dea…oh.

Still, it’s great for climate change and crematoria. Right, Gusto?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mu variant

https://wcyb.com/news/nation-world/mu-v ... n-new-york

Here we go again... and again... and again... and again...and again...

Guess what gusto?... this one may be resistant to the vaccine!

Guess you win! Yay!

We're all gonna die! WOOHOO! :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:58 amMu variant
Had we done better with vaccinations and restrictions on international travel this might not have happened. But, thanks to the number of "hesitant" and the amount of mis- and outright dis-information available we failed.

I so detest lost opportunities.

I was supposed to see my lady-friend from Savannah this week, but she started feeling ratty on the weekend and decided to abandon the trip to New England. Turns out, she tested positive for COVID even though she'd been vaccinated. That by itself is not particularly surprising, but we're both hoping that it gives her an advantage in keeping the symptoms down. I haven't asked if they sequenced the sample to determine the variant, but my money'd be on Delta.

Then there's that pair of morons at my old local on Tuesday that scuppered what would have been a nice evening repast.

Mu was listed earlier this week as a "Variant of Interest", but if it's circulating in the wild here and catches hold it'll become a "Variant of Concern" pretty quickly if the suspicions are confirmed. It's really high time that society makes stupid hurt -- at least in this regard.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:17 am
Had we done better with vaccinations and restrictions on international travel this might not have happened. But, thanks to the number of "hesitant" and the amount of mis- and outright dis-information available we failed.
Mu did not come from the US - it originated from a different country, and I don’t think the originating country had the best access to vaccines like we do in the US, or some other countries (UK, etc..). I don't think the origin of Mu can be blamed on the vaccine-hesitant. Restricting travel… that would help slow it down. Obviously vaccination would help slow it down in the US, but as we are seeing with delta - if it’s going to evade the vaccine - it’s gonna. And if a vaccine-evading strain shows up on our shores, we could be 100% vaccinated and it might not matter what level of vaccination we are at. I know of multiple people - all vaccinated - that have contracted covid. So far none of them have experienced serious side effects - and my personal belief is no matter what we do, we are all going to get covid at some point. It isn’t getting it that is the issue anymore - it’s whether or not your body is prepped (vaccinated) to help prevent serious side effects.

From what I’ve read Mu doesn’t spread as easily as Delta, and anywhere you have lambda/mu/delta, delta becomes the dominant one… but one has to proceed with caution with such assumptions.

Oddly enough I’m not losing sleep over Mu, yet anyhow.

Now… once a variant of concern comes out of one of our less-vaccinated states, I’ll lament our lack of progress due to hesitancy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm
crfriend wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:17 am
Mu did not come from the US - it originated from a different country, and I don’t think the originating country had the best access to vaccines like we do in the US, or some other countries (UK, etc..). I don't think the origin of Mu can be blamed on the vaccine-hesitant. Restricting travel… that would help slow it down.
My narrative had two prongs to it -- the first, Mu, would not have jumped countries if there were international travel restrictions in place; the second was my lady-friend catching what's likely Delta and likely from someone that was unvaccinated near her, and my experience with the two idiots last Tuesday which caused me to abort an evening early.

I have enough dead friends; I don't need another one.
Oddly enough I’m not losing sleep over Mu, yet anyhow.
I'm not really worried about it either, but time will tell on that count. Hopefully the vector has been identified and everybody they were in contact has been notified.
Now… once a variant of concern comes out of one of our less-vaccinated states, I’ll lament our lack of progress due to hesitancy.
That's likely coming. Time will tell.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

PHE have said that the vast majority of people being hospitalised are unvaccinated. Also they are five times more likely to be hospitalised and 10 times likely to die.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medica ... li=BBoPWjQ
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I just received word today that one of my aunts from my father's side has been diagnosed with covid.

She has not been vaccinated. When I asked why not (even my father has been) I was told that her preacher has convinced his congregation that the vaccine is literally the mark of the beast.

This woman is well into her 60s and high risk.

I simply can not fathom a "man of God" making such a statement. What of being "pro-life" now?

If that woman dies, her blood is on his hands, and I intend to find out what church she attends and make sure he knows it.

I am refraining from employing my sailors vocabulary right now... but suffice to say, I'm pretty damned pissed off about this news.

Enough is enough, it's time for people to grow the hell up.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:24 am I just received word today that one of my aunts from my father's side has been diagnosed with covid.

She has not been vaccinated. When I asked why not (even my father has been) I was told that her preacher has convinced his congregation that the vaccine is literally the mark of the beast.
A bunch of my unvaccinated (and vaccinated) family just came down with covid as well. My cousin in particular has double pneumonia, not in the hospital yet but I’m a bit concerned since she too is in her 60’s (or late 50’s). Not sure the reason for her, certainly not religious, probably just general distrust of society. I wouldn’t go as fas as saying she’s a mountain woman, but pretty close to it.

They are in a different state - but prior to Delta they had been planning a family memorial for someone who had passed during the lockdowns (not covid, however). I was getting anxious as Delta took over the US, it seemed like it was becoming a bad idea.