Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Grok »

Be careful, Moon Shadow, don't push yourself.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:38 pm Be careful, Moon Shadow, don't push yourself.
I will... I'm chilaxing as we speak.

I'm glad I got my vaccines, hopefully they will keep the overall symptoms minor, and I'm glad we had those at home covid test... I would have surely just kept in working and infecting everyone I came in contact with had I not been able to easily test.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Moon, hope you bounce back as soon as possible.

I’ve currently got Covid. A tickly cough, some tiredness…and that’s it. I’ve been very lucky. I’ve also been vaccinated three times.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Covid for me was a bit like severe flu but without the high temperature. That was after 2 injections plus a booster. Of course that was before I knew I was diabetic, which apparently tends to make these things worse.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:21 pm Well... my tower has fallen. I've been feeling somewhat puny for the last two days. Yesterday being pretty lousy and then today starting off that way, but really no worse than a bad head cold. Jenn insisted that I take one of those at home covid test. The one I took yesterday was negative, so I dosed up on Ibuprofen and went to work.

I actually worked a pretty big shift, not getting home until almost 11PM. I was tired and worn out, but not what you'd say, miserable. I was in bed a little after midnight. I took some NyQuil and slept rather peacefully.

This morning I woke up feeling about the same and running a low grade fever. Jenn administered another test which came back positive, and was confirmed by a third test at a local Urgent Care, so I'm out of work until Wednesday (I guess they're counting yesterday and today towards my five day quarantine time.

When the ibuprofen wears off, I start to feel down, sleepy, and generally crummy, however when on the ibuprofen the symptoms are much more manageable. In fact, I've been doing housework this afternoon. I've had a full appetite. I've have a very slight headache over my eyes, but nothing more than I normally get during any bout of crud. I have a nagging cough, my nose is congested and my sinuses feel stuffy. Fatigue comes and goes, I have no shortness of breath, and the Nurse Practitioner who examined me said my lungs sound fine.

Anyway... so far mild (very) mild symptoms all in all. In fact, I'd actually have no problem working through this if they'd let me, but I know that's not allowed. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I hear day three can be rough.

The grass need mowing... I'm tempted, but no, I don't think I'll push my luck right now... :mrgreen:

By the way, while on my trip to the Urgent Care, I wore my black Macabi skirt and my "West Virginia" tee-shirt. Considering the clammy/sweaty nature of my skin right now, the skirt seemed VERY appropriate.
Always always listen to your wife. I may not be the best at times but I do know when it's time to really listen to me. I'm glad I was persistent because hadn't I had been you'd still be assuming it's just a head cold.

I'm negative have no symptoms so been staying in our camper. I do check on Moon and Amber often. He's being well taken care of.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, get well soon and severity and symptoms are very variable. But don't trivialise the lurgy, after all it has killed millions of people. My wife and I had covid relatively recently and she suffered less than me. Here, after a positive test we test daily and can only return to work after at least two subsequent negative tests, Of course, your rules may be different.

Jenn, I would expect nothing less from you. My wife is generally more concerned about my health than I am - I can be quite flippant about it. Take care the three of you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:30 pm Here, after a positive test we test daily and can only return to work after at least two subsequent negative tests, Of course, your rules may be different.
I checked, and as long as I feel up to it, I can return to work Wednesday. There is no requirement to test negative, but I do have to wear a mask for five days.

Well, so far so good. My head is very stuffy and I've got a nagging cough. I've got quite an appetite, which is not something I expected. I'm eating normal foods.

So far the sickest I've ever been remains with my old record holder back in 2004. That was two weeks of pure hell. He's to not repeating history!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, not surprised at your answer. Covid is dealt with by rules designed to protect patient and others surrounding them. From what you and others have said about the American way of disregarding the health of employees at the expence of turnover and profit then it would be expected that you would go back to work even though still testing positive. Please tell me I am wrong. Don't think that this attitude doesn't exist over here - it does but Covid is one of the exceptions. A lot of companies pay full or part wages when off sick, my company doesn't - it only pays SSP, Statutory Sick Pay, £99.35 per week.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Amber officially has Covid so Moon has been taking care of her. I am safe so far in the camper.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:43 pm Moon, not surprised at your answer. Covid is dealt with by rules designed to protect patient and others surrounding them. From what you and others have said about the American way of disregarding the health of employees at the expence of turnover and profit then it would be expected that you would go back to work even though still testing positive. Please tell me I am wrong. Don't think that this attitude doesn't exist over here - it does but Covid is one of the exceptions. A lot of companies pay full or part wages when off sick, my company doesn't - it only pays SSP, Statutory Sick Pay, £99.35 per week.
Dennis over here in the United States as long as you're not showing any symptoms you can go back to work. You can test positive for up to 90 days. Moon only was approved Monday and Tuesday of paid pay. I'm cautious and so is Moon and Amber. Money doesn't grow on trees and unfortunately we have a Mortgage to pay, mouths and animals to feed among other bills. If Moon could get paid to permanently stay home without a doubt he would.

I hate Covid period and I do understand where you're coming from but here in the US they don't care much about the health's of people they care about the profit that goes in the pockets of the company.

I have to give some credit to Moon's Boss and Big boss they have been very accommodating since this started but again they don't make the rules as far as how long Moon can stay home with Positive Covid.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, Jenn, I understand what you are saying - outside of Covid that sort of attitude rules as well. I hope you all get well soon without any of the nasty side of after effects.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:33 pm Yeah, Jenn, I understand what you are saying - outside of Covid that sort of attitude rules as well. I hope you all get well soon without any of the nasty side of after effects.
I appreciate that Dennis.I hope you and the family are good!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Be well, Moon, and make sure everyone else in the family remains OK as well. No matter what the Corporate Bastards may try to do.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, there's no mistake that the United States in general can be a tough place to tackle an pathological outbreak in the home, I suppose it's always been that way, and will likely be that way well into the future...

But if I may be an optimist for a bit:

While I do have a few lingering effects (still a little drainage, and slightly stuffiness in my head, slight cough, foggy head, etc) I've not ran a fever since Sunday and I'm able to work, and best of all, in a perfect position to care for Amber while she goes through this.

I have to give credit to my employer. They allow up to five days of Covid pay, after that we have to draw our sick time (40 hours per year allotment), of which I have about 32 hours left, then you can draw your vacation and floater holidays assuming you have them available, then once you've drawn that I suppose there is always short term disability which pays 60% of your wages (better than nothing)

I'm a worker, and I like to save any sick time I may have available for situations where I actually feel like crap. If I'm able to work... I'll work. I'm not one to lay out for nothing.

My boss and branch manager have had an enormous amount of compassion and empathy, during my situation and especially as I tackle this situation with Amber. When I told them about Amber testing positive today, I chatted with them this morning, I vexed over what to do, they told me if I needed to take time to take her to the doctor to let them know. In my haste I decided to go on to work this morning, however on my commute I regretted the decision and figured I'd better take Amber to the doctor. When I called my branch manager to talk to her about it, she could tell I felt I was being a burden by asking for so much time, having just come off COVID leave, she said

"Andrew, you give 110% every day, go take care of your family". I admit, the comment choked me up a little. So I took a few hours off early today to tend to Amber.

I have a good job, with a good stable company, and my immediate supervisors and branch managers seem to care.

Amber had just received her medicaid a couple months ago... I'm VERY thankful for that. She pays nothing for her treatments.

The household finances are sound, and we have a good buffer for a worst, worst, worst, case scenario. As I explained to Jenn today, that while yes I'll have to draw a little from savings this month... and yes I hate to see the balance go down, THIS is the kind of thing we SAVE FOR.

All in all, it could be a HELL of a lot worse, and I'm very grateful to be as prepared as we are for this. I've been planning for this for two and a half years.

Yes, I did pay attention to the fable of the grasshopper and the ant growing up. I live my life and plan accordingly. Though I would help the grasshopper, but only after my own family has had their fill....

This too shall pass.

Amber's having a rough time. She already seems to be having a worse overall case than I did, which is not suprising considering her overall health... but let's be positive. I'm going to take care of Amber, she'll pull through, and it will go down in our memory as "that time me and daddy got covid at the same time". 8) Don't worry Jenn... I'm spoiling her rotten over here... :wink:

BONUS: We have an RV set up beside the house, complete with air conditioning, gas for hot water, cooking, a working shower, and all the utilities connected for Jenn to stay out of the house, yet still live comfortably while we battle this thing. Hopefully she won't catch it.
-Andrea
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Unfortunately I have also caught COVID, should be able to go out towards end of this week, enjoying being skirted at home while not being able to do anything along with the rest of my family.