Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by pelmut »

Shilo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 am
... When you couple that with the government being slow off the mark ...
They had no option: the U.K. no longer had a manufacturing base for respirators or pharmaceuticals.  That's why there was a lag whilst our few remaining manufacturing industries got geared up for a new product and our research labs were converted into production lines.  There was a bit of politically-motivated stupidity in boasting that an impossible number of tests would be available by a certain date, which distracted the press from some of the minor incompetence shown by some politicians and 'leaders' (of all persuasions), but overall the Government did the best they could in the circumstances.

Control of the population (still the only thing standing between us and mass burials) is easy to impliment in a more totalitarian society but very much a tool of last resort in the U.K. It is amazing how readily people accepted it, possibly because they realised that there had to be something really serious going on for our Government to take a step like that.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Now to get political.Q Who was it who decided that we no longer needed a manufacturing base?

Answer:- Margaret Thatcher
:roll:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Shilo wrote:
There are a lot of factors governing he spread of the virus and as one of the most densely populated countries in Europe, with the busiest transport hubs it could be predicted that we would be more affected than others. When you couple that with the government being slow off the mark it is not surprising that we have been badly affected. By the time they started following scientific advice it was already too late. Boho and Co were distracted by other matters until the end of January.
On A bright note it’s nice to know we’re still number one in the world at something. Even if it is deaths per million.
From the start I was actually glad that the Government here was heeding what the scientists, i.e. SAGE were telling them instead of over-reacting. Now I am still not blaming the Government for the UK reacting late and letting the virus get such a foothold. SAGE have now basically admitted that they got it wrong. I am not going to blame the Government for doing what they should do and listening to the experts, the experts on the other hand... I hope they realise how many deaths they are responsible for! The lack of PPE, doesn't surprise me at all, finances have been cut to the bone for many years now, with every Government department being hammered by cuts. What is the priority? daily business and trying to meet the ongoing commitments of each department. Where can they achieve cuts? I can't talk about my own area, but lets think about, erm the Health service, that'll work: Their funds are limited, they have to make sure people leave hospitals on foot/wheels rather than in boxes. To do that they need materials, equipment, drugs and people who know how to work them, as well as people to keep these things clean, move people around, stick legs back on, pull little people out of big people etc. So they have to struggle to find ways to reduce expenditure (Yes I know and wish they would cut the waste of money on highly paid consultants, accountants, PFI deals etc. but that's not going to happen! some forms of criminal waste will never be stopped). When a department is strapped for cash, where are the priorities? saving lives, not having a big shed full of unused PPE. Even nitrile gloves have a use by date, same for facemasks and filters. If you have say 100,000 masks as an emergency stock that is a lot of capital tied up in a shed, to be thrown away and a fresh stock bought every 5 years, for something that hasn't happened what, since Spanish flu? How high a priority was that, before COVID? Even if they had realised what was coming when the first warnings started in January, how quickly can they build a stock up? Against that, apparently there were warnings about the disaster stockpile being in a bad way which were ignored. As someone who works for the Government, my guess would be that the Government probably never heard those warnings, someone a bit lower down the tree probably kept it quiet rather than incur the wrath from above, nothing I have heard but thirty odd years in the civil service leads me to that suspicion. What could be done to prevent this happening again?
Yes, listen to scientists, but have good scientists!, I do not know, but am guessing that the disaster stockpile of stuff is in the hands of some private cost cutting company, who only care about their shareholders, that sort of "war stock" is never going to make money, private hands who want to make a profit should not be involved, the Government should have full control and ownership of that sort of thing. If the Government want local councils to maintain their own stockpiles it should fund them to do it and oversee their arrangements. Damn it I been finking about fings again! I must be sober! enough alrighty!

Summary: viruses are bad, Governments aren't much better!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

pelmut wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 am
Shilo wrote:
They had no option: the U.K. no longer had a manufacturing base for respirators or pharmaceuticals.  That's why there was a lag whilst our few remaining manufacturing industries got geared up for a new product and our research labs were converted into production lines.  
If the Government had acted sooner, we wouldn't have needed so many respirators or pharmaceuticals or PPE. Every government everywhere had the choice to act early or not. Look at the stats across Asia, or in other countries where the leaders said "this is not happening in my patch" - Greece or New Zealand, for example.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

If you have say 100,000 masks as an emergency stock that is a lot of capital tied up in a shed, to be thrown away and a fresh stock bought every 5 years,
Stock can easily be rotated; it need not be fully replaced or tossed; but can fulfill various on-going needs being supplied anyway from the public coffers.

And if you want to get political, how about a little priority? For the US the cost of such stock does not even rise to the level of of noticeable .ooX% on a budget line compared to annual expenditures on weapons and military boondoggles. But cheer us up with a few patriotic fly-overs from the Angels, now that is great benefit to our health.
pelmut wrote: ↑Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 am
Shilo wrote: ↑Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 am
They had no option: the U.K. no longer had a manufacturing base for respirators or pharmaceuticals. That's why there was a lag whilst our few remaining manufacturing industries got geared up for a new product and our research labs were converted into production lines.
If the Government had acted sooner, we wouldn't have needed so many respirators or pharmaceuticals or PPE. Every government everywhere had the choice to act early or not. Look at the stats across Asia, or in other countries where the leaders said "this is not happening in my patch" - Greece or New Zealand, for example.
Yes, I do wish we were back in NZ; but I've got to put the blame more to the "people" than the governments -- ultimately we are responsible for the screwed up systems and governments we've allowed to fester -- and frequently still support mostly from naivety and being duped by folks with an agenda of self-aggrandizement, and pockets of 'stolen' resources to promote the merits of their greed cloaked in the name of prosperity for all regardless of the name --'trickle-down', capitalism, individualism, ... and a few other isms. We'd need to check the mirror once in a while.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Further to Shilo's comment about government responses; here is a link to an article now a couple weeks old, but still essentially accurate as to the Costa Rican response. It gives credit to Government, and some to the population -- which is where I see the key difference from what I observed in the US. Even in our little village where unemployment is said to be 80% because this area is almost exclusively devoted to eco-tourism, people are getting along, helping one another, and continuing to bring the numbers down. Our border closure was extended to mid-June some while back and I won't be surprised if that gets extended again given practices in other countries that seem destined to create a resurgence.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/ ... -covid-19/
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had a consulting job which took me up near the Queensland border. Obviously there is no chance of sneaking through these outback gates ........... they really are gates so I would imagine they are now padlocked.
The roads are usually closed due to rain but not so this time.
warri-gate_P6037775.jpg
toona-gate_P6047782.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
geron
Distinguished Member

Post by geron »

Freedomforall wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:02 am
I just spoke to the owner of Purple Rain skirts the other day. Her business is taking a serious hit and she may not recover. I am sure she would appreciate support from us if any of you feel inclined to do so.

http://www.purplerainskirts.com/
A skirt and an Adventure Kilt from Purple Rain reached me in the UK last week after 25 days and an epic tour of regional airports around the USA in the hands of USPS. And I'm delighted with both items -- neat and well made with very light fabrics which are pleasant next to the skin, and they're cool for long walks in hot weather. You can buy skirts cheaper, but I'd say the quality is worth paying for.