Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Coder »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm The far left as well as the far right media have made it look like the US is burning to the ground but rest assured we are not. I take the news with a side of laughter as it is all bullsh!t. Last night I was watching a news broadcast and in the space of 3 minutes the commentator counterdicted himself at least 10 times if not more. :cussing: :censored: :soapbox:
I've noticed that with more frequency during this crisis. My favorite is the dire headline, with a quote from an expert IN THE SAME ARTICLE that destroys the headline's premise.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ray wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 pm We see pictures of parts of the USA - not sure whereabouts - where people are protesting about lockdown, denying the existence of a pandemic, and claiming that some deity “a higher power” will sort things.

Incredible. You couldn’t make it up.
We - Michigan - had one in the state capitol. I honestly don't know the organizers, and didn't participate myself. However, we've had a lot of non-sensical restrictions put on us that don't really make sense when it comes to social distancing and being safe. In fact, a conservation group of 40,000 members is suing the governor for the motorized boating ban (we aren't called the great lakes for nothing). The protest wasn't that the pandemic wasn't real - but that the reaction is destroying small businesses, people's livelihoods.

Let's be honest with ourselves - if we can't be trusted to be prudent in how we go about our daily lives with this threat over us, then we deserve to go extinct. However, that isn't fair to healthcare workers, as no matter what stupid thing I do, there will always be an ER to help fix me and my stupid decision.

So it's a balance - and she might have tipped the scales a bit too far towards draconian overreach.

And I'm sorry - but as bad as this thing is, a single death from COVID-19 is just as bad as a single death from the flu. Death is death. I'm getting tired of politicians saying "one single death from COVID-19 is too many". Yeah, so are deaths from other diseases, ailments, and so forth. It's all terrible, the world stinks. Sorry for going a bit too dark there :P
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I can sympathize with both sides to a degree.

What gets under my skin however is one simple observation:

This is an EPIC CLUSTER F--K!

Personally, I think every single American politician needs to get voted out next election, from all 49 governors (the Virginia governor can only serve one term) to all members of congress, house and senate, the president, all state legislators... the whole sha-baam!

Flush em all!

Then vote in independents... no democrats or republicans!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:13 pm Thanks. I've struggled with my thoughts on this virus since it turned partisan in the news. You see, once something turns partisan I stop trusting virtually all news outlets, thus when it comes to COVID19, at this time, I'm in the dark... I don't know who's being truthful anymore, it taxes my morale and makes me despise this society I'm stuck in that much more.

I haven't even seen a headline in several days as I've concluded it's all right wing/left wing horsesh!t at this point. It's easy for me to switch off when I'm unaffected by whats going on, such as an impeachment, bible fights, bathroom wars, Russian conspiracies, etc. But this virus has effected almost all parts of my life, it's changed work, changed the way I shop, ceaced my recreation, trashed any summer plans I've had, changed my spending habits, hell... I can't even get my cleaning at the dentist or take my car title to the DMV and get that lien removed Jenn and I worked so hard to pay off.

...and I've not even had the virus or know someone that has...

Worst of all, it's made me downright ashamed of my country and how we've handled this, and I'm sorry if that offends certain members, but I can't deny how I feel. From the president, to the congress, right down to the slobs in the bathrooms not washing their hands.... disgraceful.

I grew up having it drilled in my head that there was nothing America couldn't do... now turn on the news today and watch.... :blue:

It's all going up in flames and there's nothing I can do.

Thats why I stopped following the news, and why I'm going to (eventually) stop following this thread... the country I love, my home, is dying... I can't watch...
Moonshadow, We are all in this together.

I've been a skeptic on just about everything coming out of the news outlets in recent years. The hard part about watching it is the volume of pieces that are built mostly with real facts and a well camouflaged nugget (or two) of propaganda to help push some agenda. 30+ years ago, these were called "active measures". That's right, the techniques have been around for several decades. There's a bit of historical discourse on the subject dating back to the Carter administration, if not further. Since then, it's graduated from a tool of the intelligence agencies to something practiced as a normal course of a political campaign. (The soviets even tried to pin AIDS business on us back in the day using "active measures" techniques) Add to that the inflammatory nature the current rhetoric, which is meant to get all of us sufficiently riled up enough to stop critically thinking, crippling our defense from it. It's a recipe for control. I really do think that they are intentionally pissing us off in order to make it harder to discredit them.

The bad news is that huge crises like the one we're in have caused populations to give up their rights in the name of safety or just to "get the trains to run on time" (This is a veiled reference to the rise of the NAZI party back in the 1930s.

The good news is that, unlike the Germans, we still have a pretty solid history and tradition of individualism coupled with a moral obligation to our collective well being. The slogan "We are all in this together" is something deeply enough ingrained in the psyche of enough of us that they don't have enough to win.

The first example of this is that every quilter, cosplayer, and seamstress I know have shifted gears, putting their hobby honed skills to professional use. They're stitching their substantial fabric collections (more like valued stockpiles) into face masks, and then giving them away. The makers with their 3D printers have been pumping out face shield supports and even some respirator bodies. Even the pros aren't that far behind, especially the small-time operators. And they aren't being greedy about it. I'm actually waiting on a couple of masks from SportKilt, who have re-tasked their made-to-order kilts department to mask production. And with a price under $9, they're not making big bucks doing it. Some of the local distillers around here have changed over to making hand sanitizer instead of making boutique spirits.

In short, what I'm saying is that we as a society aren't going to go down in flames. Even if it looks like we're going up in them.

Beyond that, we're too innovative on the whole to not come out of this in better shape than going in.

I believe we just got caught napping when it comes to this kind of threat. Like 9-11 making the concept of hijacking an airliner more of an exercise in assisted suicide, there will be changes in how we do things to prevent this level of damage from happening again. I expect face masks to become a common fall fashion accessory, and a badge of courtesy. I also expect that the biotech guys who are developing the tests will be positioning themselves to develop the next one once it rears its ugly head. This kind of thing is something we may not see on our turf often, but does happen somewhere on this planet every 5-10 years or so (SARS, and MERS being two recent examples).

Another example of this are the snowstorms we get here in New England. Every 10 years or so, we'll get a nasty one that will dump upwards of 3 feet on us. But I remember one back in February of 1978 that did so after the weather morons predicted flurries. It was the one and only time during my childhood that they sent us home at noon for snow. The Highways got snowed to a standstill during rush hour, stranding hundreds of people. The roads were closed for 5 days. I didn't get back to school for a week and a half. Since then we've had at least 2-3 storms that rivaled it in ferocity and snow totals, but none have ever had the same impact. After it, people would bail out of work the minute the news early, if not call out all together. The weather guys got better in their predicting, or at the very least gave odds on what could happen. Behavior changed, and the scale of the disaster was reduced. Now it's just another Nor'easter. The next contagion is going to be just another outbreak. We'll mask/glove up, tighten up our social interaction and get back to business.

BTW: I do know someone who just finished recovering from it...after being recalled to active duty and effectively deployed to Texas. He's okay and back to doing his liaison officer thing. It basically hit him like a moderate case of the flu.

As for what to do? Do what you can. Even if it's just hunkering down. Even if it's wearing a mask 'till immunity becomes widespread. Keep your eyes open. Something will invariably present itself. They don't call this the "Land Of Opportunity" for nothing.

And one last thing: Cabin fever sucks. I'm right there with you brother.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:28 am

Yes, it is..

Here's a nice embroidered patch to commemorate it...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Excellent post kingfish...

Brightened my mood right up. Thanks!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

kingfish wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 am...... The bad news is that huge crises like the one we're in have caused populations to give up their rights in the name of safety or just to "get the trains to run on time" (This is a veiled reference to the rise of the NAZI party back in the 1930s. ......
From a historical viewpoint, it was Mussolini who used it as a form of propaganda in the 1920s. After WWI public transport was in shambles. The railroad system was a state entity and a lot was done to improve it. When Mussolini became "il Duce" the trains were already running more or less on time.

I noticed a certain similarity between Mussolini and Trump. If you check old rallies of Mussolini on YouTube, the way of speaking, the body language and some movements are quite identical. It is also quite visible in Charly Chaplins movie "The Great Dictator."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNX2V5wXDWg
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:28 am I can sympathize with both sides to a degree.

What gets under my skin however is one simple observation:

Personally, I think every single American politician needs to get voted out next election, from all 49 governors (the Virginia governor can only serve one term) to all members of congress, house and senate, the president, all state legislators... the whole sha-baam!

Flush em all!

Then vote in independents... no democrats or republicans!
Yes!!! Please let that happen so we can start over!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

It has been said before by many people in many different ways:  Those who wish to hold high office should be debarred from doing so - for that very reason.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:42 am
kingfish wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 am...... The bad news is that huge crises like the one we're in have caused populations to give up their rights in the name of safety or just to "get the trains to run on time" (This is a veiled reference to the rise of the NAZI party back in the 1930s. ......
From a historical viewpoint, it was Mussolini who used it as a form of propaganda in the 1920s. After WWI public transport was in shambles. The railroad system was a state entity and a lot was done to improve it. When Mussolini became "il Duce" the trains were already running more or less on time.
Good catch, BL, you beat me to the punch.

It's good to note that I am also not the only one to see deep parallels between the USA of now and Europe in the mid- now late- 1930s. It'd be good if more folks would study history and make these sorts of connections. When I first read snippets from the RNC's playbook my blood ran cold because the last time I saw those tactics they were written in German.

Note that the Democrats are entirely complicit in this, it's just the Republicans who are leading the charge. They could be stopped, but nobody is going to do it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I look at the News from the U.S. these days, it seems that the truth there is better hidden than in North Korea!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Changing gears for a moment...

Any news on Skirtsdad?

Last post was March 26th and as I understand it, he had come down with the virus? (Or at least that was my impression)

Hoping he's doing well...
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:33 pm Any news on Skirtsdad?
Last post was March 26th and as I understand it, he had come down with the virus? (Or at least that was my impression)
Yes, hope he is OK.
User stats say last active April 18th. So it seems he can at least move a mouse.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:21 pm..... Good catch, BL, you beat me to the punch. ....
I was born closer to the crime scene than you were.

After the war for at least 10 year the war was the main subject when the family was together for birthdays. As a kid I found it boring but now I regret I did not absorb more of the discussions.

From the beginning I saw the parallel with Nazi Germany. The new fuhrer was assembling the same characters around him. One for the propaganda. One for planning the tactics like dividing the country. Reading a book is not his strong side so somebody else must have read Mein Kampf and made that into the policy. Even the concentration camps are resurrected. I still have to find the equivalent of Braukellers in the USA.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

At last the government saw the light and came up with a clever idea.
Government notice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.