Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by moonshadow »

See the thing is, is this "shut down" even working? Or is this bug just naturally running its course in the warmer weather.

I see very little evidence that people are changing their habits, aside from many are wearing face mask now.

We shut down the restaurants and crammed everyone into the grocery stores. We close one park and people just flock to another. People are still being social. This weekend marked the first time since this thing started that I've actually been called to work both Saturday and Sunday. One customer last night stated that they have resumed their usual hours for employees.

The grocery stores are busy as ever, and today while working at one particular site, I observed hoards of new big screen TV flying off the shelves (stimulus money?... too bad none of that went to small businesses!) All those damned TV sets are made in CHINA and the WALTON family has struck gold with COVID19!

We've penalized small businesses and churches, forced them closed and handed our economy over to the largest retailers there are!

If we can pack into a Walmart to buy TV sets and other Chinese garbage, why can't we open the rest and let people get on with their lives?

Covid19 is out of control in the U.S., and let's just face it.. we don't have the discipline to fix this like other nations. We never shut down... we just forced everyone to buy from the 1% and shuttered our recreation in the process. Ive had to go out in this often... people aren't distancing... nobody is taking this seriously.

We have two choices... do like Italy or go back to normal.. it makes no sense to continue on limping along as we are doing!

Two phrases come to mind...

Sh!t or get off the pot

Shoot em all... let God sort them out!

If people die... they die... let's get real here... nobody really cares. Americans are for themselves, screw everyone else... so let us get on with it.

Had a job yesterday.. went to the restroom.. I was doing what I was told... lathering my hands at the sink for 20 seconds... and old man came in to piss, when he finished he just walked out... no handwashing... nothing!

THIS is why we train wrecked the economy??? For people like that who can't even wash after using the bathroom... only to go out and fawn over the produce??

F--k em.... open it back up... Grim reaper be damned... nobody cares anyway.

There comes a time when you realize you're on a ship that's sinking.... there is no escape... so... let the band play, hug your spouse and kids, enjoy it while you can... Next year many of us may be dead... or Chinese... who the hell knows...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

For what it's worth, in my part of the world I am amazed and overjoyed at how people are adapting. I live in the heart of Philadelphia, an area full of 2-3 story row houses and stores, dotted with the occasional park. I'd say that 80-90% of the people walking by my house are wearing masks. People queue up peacefully outside the grocery stores, chatting with each other through masks while maintaining a 6' distance. The produce vendors at the market are all wearing masks and gloves and maintain good distance from each other and the customers. The stores are doing what they can to maintain inventory but I don't see anyone getting upset as not being able to buy everything they want. In fact, for a city that is famous for its short temper and hypersensitivity, all I see is calm and good vibes.

I have no idea whether this is actually effective, but in many ways Philadelphia has all the characteristics of a hot spot. It's dense, with a very high proportion of older citizens, African Americans, and we've won several "prizes" for being among America's most obese cities (which usually means high rates of diabetes). Yet we've been spared the grief of New York and northern New Jersey. I have to think that something about the way our mayor and governor saw what was happening in New York and reacted, and then the people all pitched in to do what they could, has had some kind of effect.

I don't know how I'd feel if I lived in another part of the country, but I'm thankful for the sacrifices my neighbors have made and like them, I'm eager to get back to normal but in the meantime I'll be patient, as cheerful as I can, and look for opportunities to be useful.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I speculate that my ranting has worn thin, and its potency has expired. Not wanting to talk myself into being discharged as a quack, I shall cease sharing further opinions on this subject.

Please note, nobody has called me down, this observation is the result of my own self assessment.

Godspeed.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by crfriend » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Here's a thought-provoking piece that recently appeared in The Atlantic: Trump’s Two Horrifying Plans for Dealing With the Coronavirus posted without comment other than it is an "interesting read".
I was reading snippets of Plan A, Plan B article to Lesley this morning; her cynical reply was, "Well, since it is mostly the old that die, perhaps they figure it will save Social Security."
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

denimini wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:20 pm Perhaps geronticide ........... as a word; I am not suggesting it as a strategy.
Uncomfortably close to “The Final Solution” put forward by a certain party in the 1940’s
:roll:
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:24 am I speculate that my ranting has worn thin, and its potency has expired. Not wanting to talk myself into being discharged as a quack, I shall cease sharing further opinions on this subject.

Please note, nobody has called me down, this observation is the result of my own self assessment.

Godspeed.
You've been saying what I've been feeling.

It's okay.

I do think that the "old school" measures (read social distancing etc) are working...to an extent. I do feel a certain skepticism regarding its effectiveness, but that comes from public non-compliance. That isn't to say partial compliance isn't making a dent. The virus isn't going as wild as it did in Italy, where it managed to do in a couple weeks what usually takes Influenza an entire year to do.

I've been warming up to a forest fire analogy, where we're the trees. Far enough apart and the fire can't spread. The greener (healthier) trees manage to get off with varying degrees of damage, with the most vulnerable burning down. If everyone had stayed away from everyone else this "forest fire" would have burned out already. But I doubt any of us have a month's worth of groceries inventoried in our pantries.

At least my wife has started warming up to the concept of not going on supply runs every other day. Maybe it was having to wait in line to get into market basket and Walmart, and wearing that mask all the blasted time but she's bought into the "we're not coming back for two weeks!" concept.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kingfish wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 pm You've been saying what I've been feeling.

It's okay.
Thanks. I've struggled with my thoughts on this virus since it turned partisan in the news. You see, once something turns partisan I stop trusting virtually all news outlets, thus when it comes to COVID19, at this time, I'm in the dark... I don't know who's being truthful anymore, it taxes my morale and makes me despise this society I'm stuck in that much more.

I haven't even seen a headline in several days as I've concluded it's all right wing/left wing horsesh!t at this point. It's easy for me to switch off when I'm unaffected by whats going on, such as an impeachment, bible fights, bathroom wars, Russian conspiracies, etc. But this virus has effected almost all parts of my life, it's changed work, changed the way I shop, ceaced my recreation, trashed any summer plans I've had, changed my spending habits, hell... I can't even get my cleaning at the dentist or take my car title to the DMV and get that lien removed Jenn and I worked so hard to pay off.

...and I've not even had the virus or know someone that has...

Worst of all, it's made me downright ashamed of my country and how we've handled this, and I'm sorry if that offends certain members, but I can't deny how I feel. From the president, to the congress, right down to the slobs in the bathrooms not washing their hands.... disgraceful.

I grew up having it drilled in my head that there was nothing America couldn't do... now turn on the news today and watch.... :blue:

It's all going up in flames and there's nothing I can do.

Thats why I stopped following the news, and why I'm going to (eventually) stop following this thread... the country I love, my home, is dying... I can't watch...
-Andrea
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

All I can say MS is nothing is as good or as bad as it first seems. History will judge how well this was handled and by who. That is unless Hollywood fictionalises it to make the the big money hitters out to be the heroes.
Nothing much changes “Over the top guys. I’ll stay here and hold the coats!”
Nil desporandum
:roll:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I still watch the Dutch news. The reports are quite unbiased and trustworthy. As a joke I tell my wife and her friends that if some American news was also in the Dutch news, it must be true.

Depending on the time during the day, the Dutch are quite fast in bringing out foreign news. A few times a well known American died and it was in the Dutch news before my wife got the news from her sources. If she asks if it was true, I normally tell her it was in the Dutch news and if it was not true the Dutch will send somebody to make it true.

Don't let the news depress you. A lot of news is brushed up to attract a certain audience to boost ad income. Learn to filter out the bits of useful information and dump the rest in the garbage bin. See that info as non-binding and use what might affect you and your loved ones.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

If you think you've got it bad... I live in Michigan under the rule of the Grim Whittmer. Still at work in my skirts though!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:13 pmIt's all going up in flames and there's nothing I can do.
Rest assured that there are lots of folks who share your sentiments.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The far left as well as the far right media have made it look like the US is burning to the ground but rest assured we are not. I take the news with a side of laughter as it is all bullsh!t. Last night I was watching a news broadcast and in the space of 3 minutes the commentator counterdicted himself at least 10 times if not more. :cussing: :censored: :soapbox:

So Moon it is not as bad as the BS machine called the "MEDIA" make it look.
Just stay healthy and safe or as they used to say keep your powder dry and your balls ready.

And to all of my friends here at the cafe it is a good time to wear your skirts and get past the fear of being seen or worrying about what others would say. If you have to go out wear a skirt and be happy and comfortable. So heres to you all a virtual beer salute.. :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Lockdown is pretty well observed in the U.K. there’s also a big drive to shop local. Some local bars have repurposed themselves as shops, using their food and drinks suppliers. So we support them - and local farm shops. We try to support the little guys.

We see pictures of parts of the USA - not sure whereabouts - where people are protesting about lockdown, denying the existence of a pandemic, and claiming that some deity “a higher power” will sort things.

Incredible. You couldn’t make it up.

Keep safe, friends to the west of the pond.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Four words: God save the Queen!

How different it is here in the USA...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm The far left as well as the far right media have made it look like the US is burning to the ground but rest assured we are not. I take the news with a side of laughter as it is all bullsh!t. Last night I was watching a news broadcast and in the space of 3 minutes the commentator counterdicted himself at least 10 times if not more. :cussing: :censored: :soapbox:

So Moon it is not as bad as the BS machine called the "MEDIA" make it look.
Just stay healthy and safe or as they used to say keep your powder dry and your balls ready.

And to all of my friends here at the cafe it is a good time to wear your skirts and get past the fear of being seen or worrying about what others would say. If you have to go out wear a skirt and be happy and comfortable. So heres to you all a virtual beer salute.. :toast:
Exactly.

And, with respect to skirting, if it's nice enough out, maybe break out a sundress or two and take advantage of the vitamin D that the sun produces.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo