Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Corona Virus

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 pmSecond, police have been setting up roadblocks to stop people to verify if they are out for a legitamate reason.
That sounds like a very serious overstep, and should get looked into at the State level, not at the local level. People are stressed enough already; they do not need to get badgered by little tin gods with guns.

What counts as "legitimate"? Who adjudicates that? Is, "I'm going crazy at home and needed a change of scenery." a "legitimate" reason? Also, "Take your hand off your gun and get beyond six feet from me."

I think some small-town Chief is taking advantage of the State of Emergency -- and endangering his own force in the process.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:23 pm
partlyscot wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:12 pm Not yet, and while I would be surprised to experience that around here, it would take more than that to make me worried. If you are in the USA, there are much more insidious things than this happening.
Can you elaborate on the things you are talking about? I may be aware of them but not sure exactly what you are referring to.
I'd be interested too. I know of a few cases where the police have ticketed or arrested people for being out an about - some people in California - in their cars watching a sunset - a 19 year old girl who was just driving (on the east coast). A lot of this is over the top authoritarianism, with no place in a free society.
Last edited by Coder on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Or this article:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... -covid-19/

Good thing they had gas!

Yesterday a reporter asked the president why, if it was such a threat, why everything didn't just shut down - I got the impression the reporter was even speaking of grocery stores. Really? Ever see Wheel of Fish? The guy was so stupid...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

In the Netherlands a woman got ticketed because she took her motorbike for a spin now the temperature is getting nicer. She had no legitimate reason to be out, no groceries or medicine shopping. In my opinion riding a motorbike is quite safe. You need a sturdy helmet with a visor, a sturdy suit and boots and gloves. So not much of your body is exposed to the elements or a floating virus.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

beachlion wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:49 pm In the Netherlands a woman got ticketed because she took her motorbike for a spin now the temperature is getting nicer. She had no legitimate reason to be out, no groceries or medicine shopping. In my opinion riding a motorbike is quite safe. You need a sturdy helmet with a visor, a sturdy suit and boots and gloves. So not much of your body is exposed to the elements or a floating virus.
I have been thinking the same thing as I would like to take my motorcycle out for a spin. I just don't want to risk getting arrested or have some person try and run me over.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:30 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 pmSecond, police have been setting up roadblocks to stop people to verify if they are out for a legitamate reason.
That sounds like a very serious overstep, and should get looked into at the State level, not at the local level. People are stressed enough already; they do not need to get badgered by little tin gods with guns.

What counts as "legitimate"? Who adjudicates that? Is, "I'm going crazy at home and needed a change of scenery." a "legitimate" reason? Also, "Take your hand off your gun and get beyond six feet from me."

I think some small-town Chief is taking advantage of the State of Emergency -- and endangering his own force in the process.
It is actually written in our state law. I read the law and it gives local authorities the power. to enforce it. Here is a link. I was in disbelief at first. However, I read the law and it looks legit. I do have to wonder about the constitutionality of it all. This is a link to the law. https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/ ... 1/58-2-107

Here is a link to the news release.

https://fox17.com/news/local/tennessee- ... home-order
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:25 pmIt is actually written in our state law. I read the law and it gives local authorities the power. to enforce it. Here is a link. I was in disbelief at first. However, I read the law and it looks legit. I do have to wonder about the constitutionality of it all. This is a link to the law. https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/ ... 1/58-2-107
Wow. I'll take your word for it, and also make a note to stay the heck out of Tennessee going forward.

I can just see this sort of thing in a real emergency situation, but this is just a little too close to martial law for my tastes. As far as the Constitutionality of the thing is concerned, the US is post-Constitutional now and has been at least since 2000.

What happens if you've run out of food in the house? Can it be delivered to you? Can you go out to buy it? Or are you supposed to stay at home and starve? What of the old adage, "Feed a cold and starve a fever."?

Things are getting insane.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:25 pmIt is actually written in our state law. I read the law and it gives local authorities the power. to enforce it. Here is a link. I was in disbelief at first. However, I read the law and it looks legit. I do have to wonder about the constitutionality of it all. This is a link to the law. https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/ ... 1/58-2-107
Wow. I'll take your word for it, and also make a note to stay the heck out of Tennessee going forward.

I can just see this sort of thing in a real emergency situation, but this is just a little too close to martial law for my tastes. As far as the Constitutionality of the thing is concerned, the US is post-Constitutional now and has been at least since 2000.

What happens if you've run out of food in the house? Can it be delivered to you? Can you go out to buy it? Or are you supposed to stay at home and starve? What of the old adage, "Feed a cold and starve a fever."?

Here is an interesting artilce written by a former judge. He addresses his thoughts on how all this relates to the Constitution.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judge-a ... oronavirus
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm

I think we have to raise our hands just to go to the restroom! :D
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:23 pm
partlyscot wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:12 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 pm We just got back from the grocery store. I am starting to feel very anxious due to the things happening around here. First, the grocery store is only allowing so many people in at a time. You have to stand outside waiting to get in. I wonder how this will work in inclement weather. Second, police have been setting up roadblocks to stop people to verify if they are out for a legitamate reason. I know it is supposedly in the name of safety, but it feels dictorial. Anyone else experiencing this type of anxiety?
Not yet, and while I would be surprised to experience that around here, it would take more than that to make me worried. If you are in the USA, there are much more insidious things than this happening.
I am referring to the way that checks and balances are being ignored or circumvented.

Can you elaborate on the things you are talking about? I may be aware of them but not sure exactly what you are referring to.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Per governor Northam's (Virginia) executive order, we can be out as long as we are not in a group larger than 10 people. Even non essential businesses can operate as long as they adhere to no more than 10 patrons in the store. Places like bowling alleys, lodges, theaters, etc are closed by executive order.

I went out today and saw nobody pulled over. I also took a 6.2 mile walk around town yesterday (in a skirt). Got called a f--cking faggot by one passerby and one cat call... but no hassle from law enforcement.

I prefer the woods.... :|

Today picked up a roll of screen to mend one of the screens in the kitchen window.

As for Tennessee... what do you expect from the first state to introduce privatized prisons?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I admit... I have no desire to leave Virginia at this time. I wonder if I would be hassled driving in Tennessee with a Virginia tag?

Complicating matters is my work van is parked in my driveway in Virginia yet bears a Tennessee tag...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

beachlion wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:49 pm In the Netherlands a woman got ticketed because she took her motorbike for a spin now the temperature is getting nicer. She had no legitimate reason to be out, no groceries or medicine shopping. In my opinion riding a motorbike is quite safe.
The reason given in the U.K. was that by driving (and presumably motor-cycling) needlessly, you were putting yourself at greater accident risk.  That would tie up paramedics and health workers who have other, more pressing, things to deal with at the moment.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

pelmut wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:27 pmThe reason given in the U.K. was that by driving (and presumably motor-cycling) needlessly, you were putting yourself at greater accident risk.  That would tie up paramedics and health workers who have other, more pressing, things to deal with at the moment.
To which I call BULL SH*T!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pmComplicating matters is my work van is parked in my driveway in Virginia yet bears a Tennessee tag...
If some little tin god challenges you just tell him that's a company vehicle for use in company business only. That is not a crime.

Hey, it could be worse -- it could have Massachusetts tags on it. Just think of the grief you'd be up for in that case!