Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Sinned »

Shilo, I think Boris came along at the right moment. I think that having Corbyn in charge at this time would have been a disaster. He's never shown any real sense of leadership and kept changing his policies. As for the Lib-Dems. well, no leadership there. Whatever else is said about Boris at least he does listen and appears authoritative which is what we need at this time. If you're not a true Blue then at least you recognise what is needed at the moment and he's the right person to do it. Churchill was the right person during the Second War but not the right person in the post-war period so was voted out. Quite rightly as history showed.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I rarely go to twitter, people usually send me stuff. Saw this one though, all on my own:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1 ... 0250144771
For those privileged enough to work from home at this time, I have one mental organization tip to offer about working from home after doing it for two years: When it’s time to work, put on real pants (or whatever bottom garment you would wear to go outside on a workday)
One of the replies was perfect:

https://twitter.com/AMF422/status/1242127579093635074
My son calls them “leg prisons”.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm suspect what he means - is for the CDC to change their guidelines on how to stop the spread. But I don't know how he can force them to give bad recommendations, but we'll see! Because, business!.
I have the same suspicion. And that's some scary George Orwell stuff right there!

1984: Oceana is not at war with Eurasia, Oceana is at war with Eastasia
Oceana is not at war with Eastasia, Oceana is at war with Eurasia...

The U.S. does not have a pandemic, it's just a flu.
The U.S. is suffering a pandemic, its not just another flu!

Our "leaders" literally rewrite guidelines and make up headlines as they go along.

Man that sh!ts taken right out of the dag-bum pages of the book! [1984].

The virus isn't what concerns me the most... it's 1984 ceasing to be fiction!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:35 pm The virus isn't what concerns me the most... it's 1984 ceasing to be fiction!
I feel like we've been there for years, you just feel it when "your person" isn't in power. I'm evidently hard to please, as I've not been happy with any of them.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Shilo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 am Thank god most of the politicians here in the UK seem to be presenting a united front, with one or two exceptions ( Stephen Barclay).
How long it will last for I don’t know.
My sympathy goes out to you in the US when I see tv footage of the vacant expression and rambling rhetoric of your president. At least Boris Johnson is listening to his experts and not commanding the sea to turn back. I never thought I’d say this, but I support his stance. Please don’t hold it against me in the future
I have to completely disagree with your opinion on the PM. Who makes medical staff that have trained for years, and potentially have many years of service ahead of the work without PPE? I have a doctor/anaesthetist friend who is on the front line fighting to save people, who has many colleagues that are infected and may die! The shitshow is being run by government ministers not scientific experts. I am sitting here infected by Covid-19 and when I phone the 111 support services, set up by the government, I am told that I am not ill enough to call as I am not bed bound and I can "use the phone"
The symptoms on the government NHS website to not accurately reflect the actual symptoms experienced. This government originally tried to go down the route of what it called "herd immunity" which applies to vaccines! Covid-19 is not a vaccine, it is a pandemic. PM Johnson then tried to persuade people that the science has changed! The science did not change. The reason Singapore, China and South Korea have this under control is that they followed the science of how to deal with a pandemic. The PM has shown absolute contempt for human life. He is a libertarian who is seeking to be able to blame other people when this is all over.i feel sorry for the USA as the government there appears even more in denial.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

Sinned wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am Virtually everything has shut down except JD Sports whose owner Mike Ashley [0] seems to think that offering sports gear is an essential service.

[0] AKA a money grabbing b*st*rd
Just to clarify, although I'm broadly with you on your opinion of Mike Ashley, JD Sports is a completely separate company. Ashley's outfit is Sports Direct, and it did later accept it too had to close.
M
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pmThe symptoms on the government NHS website to not accurately reflect the actual symptoms experienced.
I can see the US playing that game, but not developed countries. The symptom descriptions out of the US vary from too vague to too dramatic and likely don't portray what the average person is likely to feel like, or what the progression is. I've been waiting for someone I know to get it so I can get an accurate description.

Whipping the public into a frenzy is not the way to deal with this: that's inhumane and likely causes more damage than good. Look what's it's putting Moon through -- "not being able to sleep at night for weeks". That alone will dampen all sorts of biological defenses and can lead to blurred judgement as well. Stress and fatigue weaken everything. So, don't needlessly stress a public that's already under stress (in the US from the dismal state of the economy).

On "herd immunity". That's not just a matter of vaccines; it's also a function of how many people have been exposed to the pathogen and survived. Vaccines speed that up, but are not alone in generating it. Recall that "herd immunity" existed long before there were vaccines.

I'm not downplaying this thing. Not by a long-shot. However, more will survive than die from it, and most of those who do will be already compromised by other issues. Those are the ones that we need most to protect because for them, the outcomes can be dire. It doesn't seem to do much to otherwise-healthy people other than make them miserable for a couple of weeks until a natural immunity forms and the virus can no longer replicate inside them.

Also, keeping people out of hospital and emergency rooms is important, especially in places that don't have a health-care system or have a wholly for-profit system.

And, yes, it is going to get worse before it gets better. All we can hope for is that the entire bottom doesn't fall out of the economy because that's the way that revolutions get started.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SD I expected some opposition and, although I'm not totally enamoured with BJ. I'll not try to continue this so I'll shut up. Saves arguments which we could do without at this time.

Mr Soapsuds, my mistake, since I never use either of them they're all the same in my mind. I stand corrected.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:35 pmMan that sh!ts taken right out of the dag-bum pages of the book! [1984].

The virus isn't what concerns me the most... it's 1984 ceasing to be fiction!
It had already ceased being fiction in 1984. It's only been gathering speed, like a runaway train, since that time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Coder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days,...
The incubation period is 4 to 5 days, the recovery time is about 14 days and after 21 days you will either be completely back to normal or fighting for your life in hospital or dead.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

So why did it take China two months of severe lock-down to stop new cases of the disease? (They now say all new cases are in people returning to China. Two weeks solitary confinement for them!)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm I think that having Corbyn in charge at this time would have been a disaster. He's never shown any real sense of leadership and kept changing his policies.
Unlike Boris Herd Immunity Johnson?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Johnson and Trump, arseholes the pair of them.
1. Come up with an obviously crap policy, ignoring the advice of your expert advisers.
2. Experts, who needs them? We can do this differently from the foreigners.
3. See city and regional governments under you go in completely the opposite direction.
4. Do an abrupt U-turn.
5. Present it to the country as a natural development of your policy, rather than an embarrassing admission that you were wrong in the first place.
6. Somehow have people fall for it, cases in point Sinned and [ space left blank. ].
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Good God read this AP report regarding New York City..

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/On-N ... 42941.html

I'm at a loss for words....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

pelmut wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days,...
The incubation period is 4 to 5 days, the recovery time is about 14 days and after 21 days you will either be completely back to normal or fighting for your life in hospital or dead.
That is not correct. The incubation period is thought by the CDC to be 2-14 days, but they are not sure. They're not sure about a lot of things. Some people can have no symptoms at all, but still be infectious. Best bet? Assume you are infectious, and so is everyone else. If you can stay home do so. If you have to go out, keep your distance as best you can. Wear a mask if you can, even if it is home made out of tee shirt material.