Water!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Water!

Post by denimini »

Most here wouldn't get excited about the sight of water and some might see too much of it.

We get very excited! After only getting 7 inches of rain in the last 12 months we have had 3" of rain in the last 3 days. The river has only had one small flow in about 18 months and a flow has just reach home today, 3 weeks after rain further up river.
I set up a table and chairs at the edge of the bank and watched the progress with a couple of friends, sipping tea.
The day before, we were sipping tea on my verandah watching the rain.
My rain water tanks are overflowing and there will be good water in the taps from the river.
bridge_P3056964crm.jpg
dry bed_P3056967s.jpg
first flow_P3056983s.jpg
escaping the water_P3057008s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Water!

Post by trainspotter48 »

Bearing in mind what Australia has been through in the last 6 months or so, I can understand your enthusiasm at seeing 'real live water'.
Unfortunately, here in the wet of England (and that's not a typo), we're getting a little fed up with it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

A couple of days ago the footpaths and road surface outside my house dried off for the first time in weeks.  The rain was pouring down again yesterday; the forecast is for a short break in the clouds during the weekend and then the rain will be continuous throughout the following week.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here in the "Sunny" South (South Carolina , Georgia, and some surrounding states) we have had as much as 14 inches of rain in the last three weeks and about 9 more is forecast for next week. :( The Dams are overflowing and there is some bad flooding in some parts of the area. :thumbdown: I am lucky as my property is basically sand mixed with some dirt. So water does not stand but goes right on in to the ground. This weekend will be a short break in the rain BUT we will have strong winds and that will cause the trees to come down because they do not have solid ground around the roots. The ground is so water logged it squishes when you walk on it. Many folks are flooded out and have no place to go as the shelters are also overflowing. :(
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

trainspotter48 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:52 pm Bearing in mind what Australia has been through in the last 6 months or so, I can understand your enthusiasm at seeing 'real live water'.
Unfortunately, here in the wet of England (and that's not a typo), we're getting a little fed up with it.
I share your lack of enthusiasm trainspotter48 I too live in the wet of England and getting a tad bored by the rain. Just one sunny day would be nice? Wish it was more evenly spread across the globe!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Having had the wettest February since before the Ice Age with every town recording more than twice normal amounts, we've had a miracle happen this week.
Will & Kate stepped off an AerFungus flight on Tuesday morning in Dublin and we have had three whole days of dry sunshine for their Royal visit here. It was cool enough though, with temps in single figures Centipede, but a welcome relief after all that gloom.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Three days of our Royal Family? I'd rather have the rain.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I think of Oz frequently as the silly guys in our new home of Costa Rica like to sport 4x4's with snorkles -- albeit they are just for show-off -- not connected! In our couple of years of traveling OZ despite a very well equipped 4x4 -- I did not have a snorkle, and all too often regretted it -- at least I thought I did, though it may have been my best insurance against foolishness. Many memories of tracks across a rush of water, or the end of our jaunt in that direction, U-turn and and find something new.

Strange how our weather standards vary, and sad how they are being impacted by our human-induced activities. Our home now is in a cloud forest, partly because we sought a place with some weather security still, but even with that and a very environmentally aware and active community/government -- we too quickly notice the rather dramatic impacts of weather changes happening. Maybe we could "sell" skirt wearing as an environmentally friendly choice?!! :wink:
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

trainspotter48 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:52 pm Bearing in mind what Australia has been through in the last 6 months or so, I can understand your enthusiasm at seeing 'real live water'.
Tell me about it, considering asking the boss for a set of oars for the coach, especially as a school run I’ve been doing the last few days goes through the Mendips and through the chew valley lakes...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Tackleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 am ... especially as a school run I’ve been doing the last few days goes [...] through the chew valley lakes
You've been taking the old road by mistake.  They built a new one in the 1950s that goes around the lakes.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Speaking of water, we're expecting the remnants of cyclone Esther to give us a bit of rain over the next couple of days.
More rain forecast later in the week as a tropical low brings us lots of rain. We need to get a lot more rain, our dams need a good filling after two or 3 dry years. Its all part of the cycle.
An hour drive inland from here was devoid of grass at Christmas, just dirt and rocks, now very green, a completely different, and welcoming landscape.
The drought is not broken, we still need more rain. Lots of it, steady rain, not heavy downpours.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sounds a bit like one extreme or the other .......... like the poem "Said Hanrahan"
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

denimini wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am Sounds a bit like one extreme or the other .......... like the poem "Said Hanrahan"
Every day’s a school day. I’d never heard of this famous Aussie ditty!
:roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Shilo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pmEvery day’s a school day. I’d never heard of this famous Aussie ditty!
Indeed it is, for the day we stop learnin' will be the day we die.

Oddly, I seem to be on a bit of a poetry kick at the moment, and I hadn't read Said Hanrahan. Thanks for that!

By the by, Anthony, that's a rather odd-looking bridge. What's the superstructure for?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:44 pm By the by, Anthony, that's a rather odd-looking bridge. What's the superstructure for?
Good question! It looks like something might be used to raise the center span--which hardly seems like it would be needed over that creek!