Water!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Water!

Post by Kirbstone »

Alastair,

Curiously, the Republic of Ireland is full of conservative royalists and Will & Kate came over for a bit of low-key fun with ordinary people (for a change!)

Jim, The superstructure on that Aussie bridge is for lifting the center span of course, to allow large cruise ships and vast container vessels to pass through on their way to the new enlarged Panama Canal. :eye:

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

pelmut wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:52 am
Tackleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 am ... especially as a school run I’ve been doing the last few days goes [...] through the chew valley lakes
You've been taking the old road by mistake.  They built a new one in the 1950s that goes around the lakes.
Thought me feet got a bit wet :lol:
The coach I’ve been driving the last 2 days if you flip it over it would look like a boat :lol:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:49 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:44 pm By the by, Anthony, that's a rather odd-looking bridge. What's the superstructure for?
Good question! It looks like something might be used to raise the center span--which hardly seems like it would be needed over that creek!
4498809186_82ba8e6450_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

On the matter of that bridge, well there we have it! However, with water that high, based on depth from low (or no) water, I'd suspect that with high water the current would be pretty fierce and not the plodding bit shown in the image of the paddle-steamer.

But, then again, if the terrain is flat enough...

Thanks for the photo, Anthony!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:05 am
Jim wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:49 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:44 pm By the by, Anthony, that's a rather odd-looking bridge. What's the superstructure for?
Good question! It looks like something might be used to raise the center span--which hardly seems like it would be needed over that creek!
4498809186_82ba8e6450_o.jpg
Just a pee-wee junior version of what is at Duluth Minnesota LINK and pictures:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... 1&filter=7

3 types of channel bridges -

1 the lift aerial version pictured
2 draw bridge where one side pivots up and out of the way
3 swing bridge in the middle of a wide channel (would not work here too narrow a channel)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That Duluth Bridge was built around the same year but that is one hell of a lift span bridge.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:36 am But, then again, if the terrain is flat enough...
........ the river around here has an average gradient of 16mm per kilometre.
We are 87 metres above sea level and it is 1786 river kilometres to the sea ........... certainly not as the fly crows.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

While we are on the subject of unusual bridges, I've ridden on this one.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:03 amJust a pee-wee junior version of what is at Duluth Minnesota LINK and pictures:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... 1&filter=7
I'll raise (No, I am not sorry for that pun.) you the Bourne Railroad Bridge that spans the Cape Cod Canal near Buzzards Bay. I took that in 2016 as we exited the Canal on our way from Boston to Marion where we were to drop the boat off as we were the delivery crew. According to my navigational charts, it has 500 feet of horizontal clearance and 135 feet of vertical at mean higher high water. Since it's a railroad bridge, it spends most of its time in the up position. Occasionally careless types hit the span causing much mirth amongst those who know how tall their boats are and the state of the tide.
3 types of channel bridges -

1 the lift aerial version pictured
2 draw bridge where one side pivots up and out of the way
3 swing bridge in the middle of a wide channel (would not work here too narrow a channel)
I'll add a couple more:

4. Double-leaf Bascule bridges where there are two movable spans that join in the middle to bridge a channel.
5. Side-draw bridges. These are largely obsolete now, but there used to be on in Boston where the movable portion of the span was on rails so the span could be opened by moving it diagonally in relation to the fixed portions to clear the channel.

There used to be a magical spot (at least magical to the engineer) on Boston's Fort Point Channel where you could see all at once save for having to turn one's head. Most are gone now, victims of progress, but when the side-draw bridge got replaced the made it up to look very much like the original save that now it's all fixed-span. Here's the ""side-draw" replacement bridge showing the rails upon which once rode the moveable spans. If one scrolls northeastward in the image towards the harbour, the next bridge used to be a top-mounted-counterweight Bascule, the next one is very new, and the final one is a swing bridge that's now sadly rusting away in a permanently-opened position.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

:ugeek:
Kirbstone wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:11 pm Alastair,

Curiously, the Republic of Ireland is full of conservative royalists and Will & Kate came over for a bit of low-key fun with ordinary people (for a change!)

Tom
That’s fine as long as they’re not footing the bill!
Don’t want to get too political but the mention of royalty and so called nobility makes my hackles rise
:roll:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

pelmut wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:29 pm While we are on the subject of unusual bridges, I've ridden on this one.
That could be a "FERRY Bridge" - does the same thing a ferry crossing would do only no water contact.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Occasionally careless types hit the span causing much mirth amongst those who know how tall their boats are and the state of the tide.

Interesting low clearance problem with the mega floating amusement park cruise ships at Vancouver BC - Lions Gate Bridge - these tall in the saddle ships have to await the tide !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

What about the famous Pegasus Bridge that rolled to open.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge

With the many waterways in the Netherlands, every type of bridge imaginable will be found in abundance or has been in use for some time in the past.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Hef
Also lifting bridges like this one in Rotterdam. Sorry, not available in English so you have to convert the dimensions yourself. It was
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

And what about the Tees or Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tees_Transporter_Bridge

I've used it a few times more for the novelty of the crossing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

In the early 70s, I was working in the north of Germany. We were dredging the Kieler Kanal, east of Rendsburg. Nearby was a railway bridge with a sort of platform hanging from cables to ferry traffic across the canal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendsburg_High_Bridge
Opname 1600q.jpg
Opname 1601q.jpg
It was quite a strange feeling, even it was swaying just a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak