Encounters of the silly kind

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Encounters of the silly kind

Post by beachlion »

This afternoon I had to pick up a prescription at Rite Aid. A lady that just left the pharmacy was using her remote to unlock her car. When I was nearer she said to me:"I see you walking all over Allentown. Don't you have a car or use the bus?" If you are over 65 you can get a free bus pass for Allentown. I recognized the lady quite vaguely as living somewhere in our neighborhood. In fact I recognized the color of her car more than the lady. I had my car keys hooked on my shoulderbag and showed them with a rattle to the lady. "Why don't you use your car?" I asked her how old she thought I was. With a little hesisation and wrinkling her forehead she estimated me between 60 and 65. I said I was 75. "Now you know why I walk that much." I left her slightly puzzled.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Encounters of the silly kind

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Good for you with that remark! Some people should just mind their own business....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

That is awesome!! Made me smile!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 am Good for you with that remark! Some people should just mind their own business....
The lady said it in a cheerful way and I felt no negative vibes at all. I think she also had seen me walking in a skirt and that could have triggered her remark. I don't think I would have reacted as I did if there was anything nosey in her attitude.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 pm I left her slightly puzzled.
Slightly. I love your sense of the ridiculous; she will be puzzling over that for the rest of her life.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

denimini wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 am
Slightly. I love your sense of the ridiculous; she will be puzzling over that for the rest of her life.
Either that, or he may find a walking partner next time.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kilted_John wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 pm
denimini wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 am
Either that, or he may find a walking partner next time.
I don't think there are that many walking genes in the American DNA these days.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I perforce do a lot of dog walking mornings & evenings, but that's not cardio. Endorphins are generated in my torture chamber, which features a rowing machine....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

beachlion wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 pm
I don't think there are that many walking genes in the American DNA these days.
Yeah, for the most part. Unfortunately. Hoping to change that for myself, at least.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

It’s weird how most people can’t understand why you would choose to walk when you could drive. It does keep you active. I have long been an advocate of get a dog not a gym membership. It’s socially acceptable to see a guy walking with a dog but considered suspicious if he’s alone. Just an observation, you’re that strange guy who walks about not the guy in the skirt. Is that progress ? I don’t know!
:roll:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: walking, I wouldn't do it alone now. Far better to have a nice big dog along for company. At other times I join small groups for a specific walk, ramble or trek depending on the route and the terrain.

On a recent weekend spent with my elder son & his family in Worcestershire, South of Birmingham he suggested we walk to a pub to which he had taken us by car some months previously.
He's taller than me with a stride to match and the walk turned out to be Five very brisk Miles....under the M42 and on to a very welcome pint there. I was mindful also that it was all of 5 miles back as well!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:24 pm..... On a recent weekend spent with my elder son & his family in Worcestershire, South of Birmingham he suggested we walk to a pub to which he had taken us by car some months previously.
He's taller than me with a stride to match and the walk turned out to be Five very brisk Miles....under the M42 and on to a very welcome pint there. I was mindful also that it was all of 5 miles back as well!

Tom
My experience is that every pint (or standard glass of other alcohol) you drink is adding a few miles to the distance you have to walk back. I have covered a lot of extra miles (or kilometers) that way. The same applies to biking. ;)
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

I walk the dog a couple of times a day, always in a skirt or kilt. Often get into conversions about the dog or kilt, rarely the skirt though.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

The weather was very nice this afternoon. Quite unexpected. When one weather system moves faster and another slower than predicted, the weather might change dramatically for a short time.
With 15C (60F) it was really nice. I had to go to the Home Depot to get my last batch of wood to finish a project. I was in a denim skirt, one of my favorites. Because of the virus, only 100 people were allowed in. I had to wait outside with my cart. The cleaning material department showed the same desolate state as in supermarkets. But they had the wood I was looking for.

On the way home I visited my grocery store but still no toilet paper, soap or hand sanitizer. With a roll of paper towels, eggs and some canned stuff under my arms I went to the register. I seldom go in the daytime so the lady at the register was a new one to me. Very friendly she asked if I wore a kilt and added that she had never seen that sort before. I was a little tired of explaining the things of life (also the empty shelves did not help) and said that is was the tartan of a very obscure Scottish clan. Which clan is it she asked quite seriously. While I put the change in my wallet I said that is was the McDenim clan but like a conspirator I asked her, with a soft voice, to keep it quiet.

To be honest, I had this form of conversation prepared. I just had to wait for the right moment.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 pmWhile I put the change in my wallet I said that is was the McDenim clan but like a conspirator I asked her, with a soft voice, to keep it quiet.
In the current insanity, the ability to retain and deploy a sense of humour I am quite sure works wonders on anyone who it's used on. Well done. When we lose the ability to laugh, we've lost one of the few things that truly set humans apart from the rest of the animal kingdom (as far as we're aware, that is).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!