Ciara, now Dennis.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Ciara, now Dennis.

Post by Kirbstone »

This February so far we have had more than our fair share of storms.

Last weekend I was in Ennistymon, Co. Clare at a hotel aptly named 'The Falls' and along came Storm Ciara, felling trees and deluging the landscape. The falls in view rapidly grew to resemble Niagara, quite an achievement for an Irish trickle. On our way to the train home our hotel courtesy bus only just got through several floods before they closed the road!

This week Storm Dennis is growling outside & no doubt making life for our Sinned (in Yorkshire) less pleasant. Both my 8AM rowing outings this w/end have rightly been cancelled. The wind just ruins everything.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ciara, now Dennis.

Post by pelmut »

I was called out this evening to deal with a canal basin where the water level was rising rapidly and threatening to wash out a bund that protected a damaged section of the canal.  The outlet pipe was partly blocked -- but worse than that, someone had built a nicely-constructed dry stone wall along the crest of the emergency spillweir, thereby defeating its purpose.  By the light of torches [flashlamps] we demolished it with a crowbar and pickaxe, bringing the water back down to a safe level and narrowly avoiding a disaster.

Not as spectacular as Kirbstone's flooding, but worrying nevertheless.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ciara, now Dennis.

Post by Sinned »

Yes, I have had some comments about the "Dennis the Menace" storm that's currently going over. One of my work colleagues even texted me a comment about it. Fortunately it will be a brief transitional event, largely forgotten in a month's time. Between the two storms the River Ouse is in flood but we are located far enough away for it to not be a problem for us. We do have standing water in the garden though as the water table gets quite high.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.