Music Teachers

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Music Teachers

Post by Stu »

My great-nephew, aged 11, was recently asked at school if he would like to learn to play a musical instrument and, if so, which. He said he would love to, and that he would like to learn to play the recorder, as he had done a few years previously in primary school. His music teacher apparently told him that the recorder is not a "serious instrument" and it is not "orchestral"; instead, he was told, a recorder is something between a toy and a proper instrument. I was told this by my niece. I have to say that I was quite appalled that a so-called music teacher could be so profoundly ignorant. Recorders have been around to play serious music (Bach, Vivaldi, Scarlatti etc) for centuries and yes, they do feature in orchestras, including the Berlin Philharmonic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGJt0q-kRA

I'm still fuming! :evil:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Music Teachers

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Howdy Stu,
Have you sent a note to this abomination of a music teacher yet?

I would let her know just how stupid ignorant she is. She should not be teaching students this kind of crap. A musical instrument is anything that can be used to create music, even pots and pans and a wooden spoon. (A drum set for the little tykes).
When I was in elementary school (about the 5th grade) we were give lessons on a jaws-harp. we learned how to use it to make some of the most interesting music I have ever heard. And it too has been used in orchestral settings.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Hiya Fred,

Quite right. I haven't sent a note - I'm just a great uncle. His mum (my niece) is seeing the teacher on Thursday, so I feel sure she will mention it. I have been doing some digging and I think I have found a peripatetic Renaissance musical instrument tutor who might be willing to offer her services.

I remember the Jew's harp - I had one myself when I played in a folk group many decades ago - when I had more hair and teeth.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

If anybody doubts that the recorder can be used for some very serious work I would recommend this well-known piece as showing what the simple instrument (which is little more than a wooden whistle) is capable of, and one of the grand-masters of all time who wrote for it.

Not just Bach, but Handel as well, as presented by Maurice Steger, a modern recorder virtuoso: Mr Handel’s Dinner.

A mere toy indeed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I totally agree. I have heard Steger playing Vivaldi before and he is incredible.

We have a "local lass" where I live in Sweden, Kristine West, who is making a name for herself. She does proper concerts, but she loves playing for the pleasure of the public, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zsC3MrVEg
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Stu,

How old is this music teacher? If she is really old she might not be into the baroque instrument revival and is stuck on 19th and early 20th century musical instrument conventions (e.g., modern pianos). So she might not be familiar with baroque musical practices and recorders as being serious musical instruments.

John
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

John.

I have never seen her, so I don't actually know how old she is. I am guessing she is middle-aged and thinks of recorders as things that are just for kids at school to play Hot Cross Buns or My Grandfather's Clock etc., or else she is younger and into more contemporary music and, as you say, unaware of baroque music. Of course, people like J S Bach were regarded as "old hat" by the mid eighteenth century as the new Rococo took hold. Fortunately, another composer, Felix Mendelssohn, discovered the forgotten brilliance of JSB and it's thanks to him that we can now enjoy his works once again.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

As school kids, we always thought the teacher was right ........... until one day we had to answer questions about a book that we had read. My school friend happened to know the author well and got him to help with his homework. The teacher marked most of the answers as wrong and my friend was peeved and confronted the author to tell him that he didn't know what he was writing about.
The author said "When you are alone with Miss ......., tell her that the author helped you with your work".
Later I asked what happened and he said that she didn't say a word but just went white.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia