Birthday of a lady who helped invent the modern computer

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Birthday of a lady who helped invent the modern computer

Post by Freedomforall »

Everyday I eagerly await an email from The Writer's Almanac. It is a short audio clip produced by Garrison Keillor. He is one of my favorite writers/entertainer. His podcast always includes birthdays of famous people who have since passed. Todays mention included the birthday of Grace Hopper. Carl I thought you might appreicate this. I am including the link to avoid any copyright infringements and also for those of you who might be interested in listening to the Almanac. The link includes past episodes of A Prairie Home Companion show which is another great production by Garrison Keillor.

http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/radio/tw ... er-9-2019/
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Birthday of a lady who helped invent the modern computer

Post by Shilo »

Thought for a minute that you were referring to Ada Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron and colleague of Charles Babbage. They worked to create the first programmable computer a hundred years earlier.
:roll:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Birthday of a lady who helped invent the modern computer

Post by pelmut »

There were many women inventors and scientists whose work is played down or completely forgotten: Hedy Lamarr's invention of frequency-hopping encryption, Hertha Ayerton's research into the fundamentals of electric arcs for lighting and "Miss Shilling's Orifice" were just three of the many contributions made by women.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.