Lurking in a bush!!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 am

I went out for a walk yesterday to test run a new skirt and pair of boots along the old formation of the Somerset and Dorset railway when I found the remains of an old rusted brake van (caboose in American?) sat on old section of track!!!
AE20C29F-48EB-4717-BD47-CD9D6394D0E0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 10764
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by crfriend » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Tackleberry wrote:[...] I found the remains of an old rusted brake van (caboose in American?)
Roughly equivalent.

I wish the image was a bit larger as I was hoping for a closer look!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

trainspotter48
Distinguished Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: West of England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by trainspotter48 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm

British freight brake vans are small by comparison with the American caboose, as they are usually built on a 4 wheel frame instead of sat on a pair of bogies.
They provided accommodation for the Guard, together with a handbrake. Most British freights ran 'loose coupled' - that is to say that there was no continuous brake, so the brake van was important in keeping the train under control. If the route covered a long (or steep) downhill section, the train would stop at the top for the crew to apply waggon handbrakes to increase the braking effort - this obviously necessitated another stop when the gradient had been safely descended in order to release these brakes again.

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:55 pm

crfriend wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:[...] I found the remains of an old rusted brake van (caboose in American?)
Roughly equivalent.

I wish the image was a bit larger as I was hoping for a closer look!
01034CED-1E39-4BE7-96C9-F7A8454BA041.jpeg
Hopefully a bit bigger, wouldn’t allow me to do the large size :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Or this might be better as I found a free photo hosting site :wink:

https://imgshare.io/images/2019/11/09/5 ... 918594.jpg

User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN USA

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by r.m.anderson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Tackleberry wrote:Or this might be better as I found a free photo hosting site :wink:

https://imgshare.io/images/2019/11/09/5 ... 918594.jpg

I am getting that 404 "That page doesn't exist"

???
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 10764
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by crfriend » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:28 pm

Tackleberry wrote:Hopefully a bit bigger, wouldn’t allow me to do the large size :roll:
Better, certainly -- and thank you!

I've got things tuned so images of about 800 pixels in the "long dimension" will fit within the (octet-)size limitations. So, using your favourite image editor, do all the resizing in pixels instead of inches/cms/whatever; doing it in raw pixels circumvents all the guesswork (which is frequently done wrong by the software) involved. If the image is above some threshold (which I forget, there's a surprise!) a "thumbnail" will be automatically created for display in the post but "clickable" to bring up the larger one.

I think that all has a writeup at the top of the "Pics and Looks" section...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

r.m.anderson wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:Or this might be better as I found a free photo hosting site :wink:

https://imgshare.io/images/2019/11/09/5 ... 918594.jpg

I am getting that 404 "That page doesn't exist"

???
I’ll check my privacy settings...
Yeah I’m getting that too and I’m logged into it :roll:

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:51 pm

crfriend wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:Hopefully a bit bigger, wouldn’t allow me to do the large size :roll:
Better, certainly -- and thank you!

I've got things tuned so images of about 800 pixels in the "long dimension" will fit within the (octet-)size limitations. So, using your favourite image editor, do all the resizing in pixels instead of inches/cms/whatever; doing it in raw pixels circumvents all the guesswork (which is frequently done wrong by the software) involved. If the image is above some threshold (which I forget, there's a surprise!) a "thumbnail" will be automatically created for display in the post but "clickable" to bring up the larger one.

I think that all has a writeup at the top of the "Pics and Looks" section...
The “technical” bits went right over my head... :oops: :oops:
But yeah you’re right, never though to take a pic/get my pic taken, minus the shirt I was wearing as that’s JUST gone into the washing machine... :oops:

User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 10764
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by crfriend » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Tackleberry wrote:The “technical” bits went right over my head... :oops: :oops:
There's no shame in that. Just read up a little bit and all the pieces will fall into place nicely.

The basic premise is that a digital picture is broken up into a large number of points (or elements, hence the term "pixel" which is a contraction of "Picture Element"), with so many in one dimension (say "X") and so many in the other (e.g. "Y"). I don't know what you use for image manipulation, but there should be a way for it to express everything in pixel measurements, and you can then work with that (I use GIMP, the "GNU Image Manipulation Program). In mine, the operation is called "Scale Image" and allows inputs in pixels, so I use that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2618
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Fred in Skirts » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 pm

I use IRFANIEW to resize my pictures as many are way too big for the forum. I have it set to maintain the ratio and then I can just set one aspect and it falls right into place. I always work in PIXELS and not in CM or Ft and In. :D

Nice picture of the brake van.
Fred :kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."


"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951

pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by pelmut » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am

Tackleberry wrote:I went out for a walk yesterday to test run a new skirt and pair of boots along the old formation of the Somerset and Dorset railway when I found the remains of an old rusted brake van (caboose in American?) sat on old section of track!!!
I assumed all the track had been lifted and recovered when the line closed, I wonder why this was left behind?  Have you told the Somerset & Dorset Railway Heritage Trust about it?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 am

pelmut wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:I went out for a walk yesterday to test run a new skirt and pair of boots along the old formation of the Somerset and Dorset railway when I found the remains of an old rusted brake van (caboose in American?) sat on old section of track!!!
I assumed all the track had been lifted and recovered when the line closed, I wonder why this was left behind?  Have you told the Somerset & Dorset Railway Heritage Trust about it?
They know that there is track left as they did as a reminder of what it used to be... :wink:
The intention is to reopen the line from Radstock to Frome, not quite sure what the owners of Whatley quarry think as that part joins the quarry line just outside of Hapsford...

pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by pelmut » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 am

Tackleberry wrote:The intention is to reopen the line from Radstock to Frome, not quite sure what the owners of Whatley quarry think as that part joins the quarry line just outside of Hapsford...
Going well off topic here:  I've been involved in that from a distance.  Re-opening that line would transform the Radstock area in terms of prosperity and property values but it has been held back time and again by personality issues and moronic short-sighted decisions by the local council.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.

Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Radstock, England

Re: Lurking in a bush!!!

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am

pelmut wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:The intention is to reopen the line from Radstock to Frome, not quite sure what the owners of Whatley quarry think as that part joins the quarry line just outside of Hapsford...
Going well off topic here:  I've been involved in that from a distance.  Re-opening that line would transform the Radstock area in terms of prosperity and property values but it has been held back time and again by personality issues and moronic short-sighted decisions by the local council.
Yeah the council doesn’t seem helpful, especially the new houses built pretty much where the station was :twisted:

Post Reply