TOXIC!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: TOXIC!

Post by Dust »

When I've picked up pads for my wife, I take a picture of the empty box with my phone, them get the exact same thing...

Normally I'm cheap, but sometimes that's not a good approach... Unless you are trying to get out of ever going on that particular errand again!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

That reminds me of when Christians got all worked up over that Starbucks Christmas cup.

First world problems....

Good god... fighting over maxi pads....

Woke?? Think I'll go back to sleep! Wake me up when people grow the hell up...
You forgot about the arguments over Popeye's chicken sandwiches.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I worked in the Nuclear industry. When we had to clean up a spill we used ladies sanitary pads. They would hold the liquids with out dripping so that we would not spread the contamination. One day we had to clean up a spill on the roadway after a truck coming from another site to ours sprung a leak. We ran out of pads so myself and my boss went to the only drug store around and when we asked if what was on the shelf was all he had he looked at us very strangely. It was even worse when we bought him completely out of pads. :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I worked in the Nuclear industry. When we had to clean up a spill we used ladies sanitary pads. They would hold the liquids with out dripping so that we would not spread the contamination. One day we had to clean up a spill on the roadway after a truck coming from another site to ours sprung a leak. We ran out of pads so myself and my boss went to the only drug store around and when we asked if what was on the shelf was all he had he looked at us very strangely. It was even worse when we bought him completely out of pads. :lol: :lol:
They make industrial absorbent pads, you know. They are much bigger...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Yes, Moon, but then you don't have to wear them , do you? Comfort, protection and non-leakage are the requisites here I would have thought. A good guide is to look at the brand they normally buy themselves as they must buy that brand for a reason. Then again, have you actually talked to Jen and Amber and asked them what they want.
They don't care... we're all equally frugal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote:Yes, Moon, but then you don't have to wear them , do you? Comfort, protection and non-leakage are the requisites here I would have thought. A good guide is to look at the brand they normally buy themselves as they must buy that brand for a reason. Then again, have you actually talked to Jen and Amber and asked them what they want.
But still if the women in your life don't complain ....

Like you I have no problem buying sanitary products but I would buy the brand I'm told to buy.

As for diversity, in the interviews I attended I was always told that the company was interested in fit for the role profile was the most important factor.

It doesn't matter what brand he buys us as long as it does it's job which they do. Store brand is the same as the name brand just the names changed.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fair enough Jenn. It's just that I know how picky you women can be! If you're fine with his decisions then that's all peace and harmony. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Fair enough Jenn. It's just that I know how picky you women can be! If you're fine with his decisions then that's all peace and harmony. :D
In our house we all understand that Moons money "pie" is only so big. The less I spend on things like pads and tampons, the more I can spoil them with other things.... like eating out at Cracker Barrel tonight!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote:Fair enough Jenn. It's just that I know how picky you women can be! If you're fine with his decisions then that's all peace and harmony. :D

I maybe a woman but I'm not picky and Moon will tell you I'm probably one of the few who isn't. I count my blessings and am thankful for what I have.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jenn, Moon, you weren't born in Yorkshire were you? Or have Yorkshire heritage? You certainly have the mentality. The definition of a Yorkshire man? A Scotsman with the generosity bred out. You'd fit in well with us in that respect. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Jenn, Moon, you weren't born in Yorkshire were you? Or have Yorkshire heritage? You certainly have the mentality. The definition of a Yorkshire man? A Scotsman with the generosity bred out. You'd fit in well with us in that respect. :lol:
:lol:

Well, the truth is we've seen some hard times in the past. There were days we didn't know when the next meal was going to come from. I recall us scrounging around for loose change to buy a single roll of toilet paper, making dinner out of a 25 cent box of macaroni and cheese. Old habits die hard I guess.

In remember the days back before everything got connected on the web, you could write a check out at the store and have almost a week before it would clear the bank. Now those things are practically instant. So these days people who are currently in the situation I was in 20 years ago have to resort to cash advances, with their 200% interest rates...

Then again I guess that's just normal life for people just staring out. Some people say that the millennial generation is likely to be the most frugal generation since the depression era (1930s).
-Andrea
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Sinned wrote:Jenn, Moon, you weren't born in Yorkshire were you? Or have Yorkshire heritage? You certainly have the mentality. The definition of a Yorkshire man? A Scotsman with the generosity bred out. You'd fit in well with us in that respect. :lol:
Dennis, in the end you are certainly of Dutch heritage because we kicked people out who were squandering money on such frivolities as food, clothing and housing. We deported them to the north tip of the island west of us. ;)

Being frugal is something that you get in your system when you grow up. Like the depression, the post WW2 period for my family was a time of rebuilding the things that were destroyed during the war. The Hague, where I was born, was hit severely with about 25% of the houses destroyed. You had to make do with whatever was available. So I learned to improvise and that was one of the guiding principles of my further life. One of the reasons for my higher education was the idea of having enough money to do what I wanted to do. Even then my largest buy was a motorbike and a house. Still I'm quite frugal and I don't feel I miss out on things.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

beachlion wrote:Being frugal is something that you get in your system when you grow up. Like the depression, the post WW2 period for my family was a time of rebuilding the things that were destroyed during the war. The Hague, where I was born, was hit severely with about 25% of the houses destroyed. You had to make do with whatever was available. So I learned to improvise and that was one of the guiding principles of my further life.
Although I was born in a city that wasn't nearly as badly damaged as the major cities of the Netherlands, many things were in short supply.  I was brought up with "If you can't make, you can't have it..." which has stuck with me all my life.  I still make some of my own clothes, would feel lost without the collection of tools and equipment I have built up over the years and often get asked to make things for other people when they can't find anyone who sells the thing they want.

Some people born a few years later than me haven't a clue how to make anything -- or any understanding of why anyone might want to.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I was born in the early part of 1943 and so as I grew I had to learn how to make do with what I had. My father was declared 4F and worked in the ship yards during the war, so he was doing his part for the war effort. As I grew my family did not have everything we needed let alone wanted. After I got out of the Air Force being married with a baby and no job it was tough. Because I was good with my hands and could repair most anything my landlord allowed me free rent because I repaired everything that went wrong with the apartments. I became his eyes and ears as well as his hands. He owned a hardware store so anything I needed to fix something was right at hand. When I finally got worthwhile employment I was able to set aside enough money to put a down payment on a house. But it was still touch and go for many years after. So I know the value of not only a dollar but the skills one learns in life.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:....... My father was declared 4F and worked in the ship yards during the war, so he was doing his part for the war effort. ......
I had to Google the term "4-F" and it was interesting reading. The Dutch military have a similar system where they test 7 different aspects of a recruit. The worst classification is S5. S stands for mental stability and 5 is the highest grade.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak