Music hardware

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Music hardware

Post by Big and Bashful »

Considering I am only dabbling with music and wishing I had learnt to play an instrument back before my brain rotted, my house seems to be getting taken over by musical machinery. Latest acquisition being a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16.8.2 mixing desk, it's old, but recently serviced so the huge amount of slidey and twiddly bits all appear to be working. I have figured out how to use this to mix down to the 8 inputs I can record simultaneously on my old Yamaha AW16 portastudio thing, then there is the wee Behringer mixer, relegated to being an effects box to feed the big mixer. All to support a local "jamming" group I seem to have got involved with. I need a bigger car! There are these mixing / pa type things, a 12 string acoustic, 2 6 string acoustics (One currently with Nashville tuning), my mandolin, a bass or 2 and up to 3 keyboards, it's getting silly!
I have to admit, all these musical toys are helping me cut down the hours I spend watching TV!
Now I only need to figure out how the 2 electric guitars work as well as the other dust gatherer, a fretless bass, I think that is about it! I know there are a lot of musical people on here and thought I would try and stoke up some sort of musical discussion:

Sort of things I attempt to sing and play? currently getting to grips with Ed Sheeran's "The A Team", Santana's "Smooth" on bass, from my older jamming days a few songs I like are Jet's "Move On", Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". This group aren't into folk music so I have had to shelve my collection of Eric Bogle and Christy Moore songs.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Music hardware

Post by dillon »

I’m a huge fan of Richard Thompson. Not sure if you place Fairport Convention in folk or not; I would. And miss Sandy Denny, gone about forty years now.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I would class Fairport Convention as folk, went to their Cropready gathering back in 1983 and had a great time. However, what I tend to think of as folk music is more the solo singer/writer/guitarist style, powerful songs that can put your heart through a wringer.
Still the ultimate anti-war song, brings tears to my eyes everytime I try to listen to this, I cannot sing this through to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFzCmAyOp8

Eric has hundreds of songs, comedy in there as well as no end of different topics, Christy Moore is Irish and somewhat similar, although a lot of political songs thrown in. From many years ago I remember the Corries, a Scottish duo with many songs to their credit, including Flower of Scotland, the unofficial Scottish anthem! For some reason a lot of English folk music leaves me cold, but the Celtic influenced Scottish/ Irish songsmiths are far more to my liking.
Then I will move away from folk and switch back to some System of a Down, Primus, Killing Joke or something more prog like Marillion, Pink Floyd or The Enid, which don't tend to be stuff for a man and his acoustic guitar to massacre!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For myself I tend to the classics, of which the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Rossini. These are among my favorites. I also like Bach especially his dark side of the music world. I am not much on Opera singing but love the music. However that said I still enjoy a great tenor. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Fred in Skirts wrote:For myself I tend to the classics, of which the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Rossini. These are among my favorites. I also like Bach especially his dark side of the music world. I am not much on Opera singing but love the music. However that said I still enjoy a great tenor. :D
A lot of what I listen to is because I like to pick up my acoustic or bass and try and play it, maybe sing as well. This doesn't really work with Beethoven etc.! I must admit that occasionally I like to re-assemble my hifi, position the big speakers, and listen to a symphony orchestra at work, as long as I remember to put the speakers back in a cat-proof position because the cones are vulnerable and no doubt one of the cats will eventually investigate them. Listening to music properly is hard work these days!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My loudest 'musical machine' sits in the NE corner of our drawing room and is 2 meters long, 6' 7" or thereabouts. I don't ever play it louder than lovely and that suits me jut fine. Uncle Al would approve.
Just now I rounded off an indoor photo shoot with a lump of Debussy leading into a taste of Dvorak followed by a couple of Chopin nocturnes, topped off by an avant-garde version of Aul'Lang Syne....

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

dillon wrote:I’m a huge fan of Richard Thompson.
As am I. Not sure if you are aware, but RT recently divorced and moved from LA to NYC to be near to his daughter. As a result he is doing a lot of gigs on the east coast these days, which is good for me.

A mildly amusing experience I had at an RT gig in ME a couple of years has found its way into a book I've been writing in dribs and drabs over the last few months.

I got to see him last year at a student nightclub in Boston when he was running as a trio (but with his guitar tech joining in on a few numbers). We were up on a balcony looking down at him and his band from a right angle. From our vantage point you could see just how energetic RT is (great for a 70 year old guy) and also how his drummer, Michael Jerome, bashes away like Animal from the Muppet's (his legs seemingly doing more work than his arms).

Not great video quality, but it shows RT doing one of his signature murder ballads and gives you an idea of the drumming skills of Mr Jerome. I watched in an interview once about this track and how it was difficult to play due to its 9/8 time signature.

I've seen RT in concerts in the US and UK in large and not so large venues. Always a pleasure - but I prefer it when he has other musicians around him (I don't enjoy is solo gigs quite as much). When he toured Dream Attic he did so as a 5-piece and I thought that tour was extra special - just love seeing multiple (very talented) musicians bouncing off each other. Also seen him as a trio and solo a number of times. My one regret is that I didn't get to see him play with his namesake, Danny Thompson. Here is Danny doing a track of another favourite artist of mine, Nick Drake.

I keep meaning to have a go at learning to play an instrument. I think I should start with a uke, so I could do my own rendition of this tune.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Our jamming mob has been pining for a drummer, someone or something to help the "band" with timing. Since we lack a drummist I have started looking at using midi files and now, I am starting to play with another DAW, to see how the midi side of things works, getting interesting, pity I have to do inconvenient things like work, it's getting in the way, this could be good fun!