How many countries have you visited?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How many countries have you visited?

Post by Ray »

Big & Bashful - [panto] oh no it’s not! [\panto] Having a queen (or in your case, sharing one) doesn’t make you a sovereign state. England isn’t a sovereign state. Nor is Scotland. Nor is Gibraltar.

Good list though, even though you’re cheating to get the numbers up ;-)

(Note to all - I included the term sovereign state so that e.g Greenland doesn’t count as a country. It’s part of Denmark - like England is part of the UK. Proper countries please! - although fun descriptions like B&B above are too good to miss)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

OK, here's my $0.2 worth :D

USA
Canada
UK
France
Malta

To Ray -> What is [panto] [\panto] :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ah lets see at 76 years old where all have I been........

Lets start with the good ole USA, and lets stop there as well. :lol:

I have never left the country as I have never been able to find a way to do it or afford it. I however have visited many of the independent states the make up the country.

So I have no answers for the other two questions.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,
I sit corrected. While I love to visit Yorkshire, alas all too rare nowadays, my knowledge of what part is what is sadly lacking and I almost share the typical Londoner's view of said County.......A1/M1 great North roads extending upwards under the permafrost which starts at Watford/St Albans. These lead up to two little sort-of rabbit ears, one being Scotland, the other being Yorkshire.

Anyway, that Lacrosse venue alluded to is in 'Arrigit, populated mostly by gentle folk, I must admit.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Uncle Al - pantomime. A slapstick play - like Cinderella. My little joke - where cast shout “oh no it’s not” and the audience roar back “oh yes it is!”

Repeat for several exchanges until hilarity and/or boredom ensues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Stevie - how could you have missed Iceland - and with your background too!

What an amazing place. It's just full of geological marvels, and the people are terrific.

It is, however, a touch pricy!

Ray
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

US (native)
Canada
Mexico
Spain
Ethiopia
Argentina
Uruguay
Chile
Ecuador
Brazil

We have a long trip planned for 2020 to Italy and Croatia. But mostly I want to see the parts of the US that I have never visited, like the upper Midwest. And I want to follow the Lewis and Clark route. I really like west Texas and New Mexico. I intend to return to Ethiopia; it was fascinating. Also intend to visit Cuba at some point. I’d love to travel Turkey and Iran, but doubt the region will regain any stability in my lifetime.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Turkey is fine as long as you don’t wander over to the Iraq border. I was there in June.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I have been to Australia
Tasmania,
New Zealand,
Fiji,
US of A,
Canada,
England and Scotland,
Iceland,
Germany,
Austria.

The two best were Iceland and Germany.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sorry, Ray, but England is a Sovereign state as is the UK. Each unit of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales is a country in its own right each with some degree of autonomy. Which is why in some sports events each country in the UK can compete in its own right and in others we compete as a single entity. It's also why Scotland, and to a degree Wales, who have defined borders, could devolve and become separate politically and financially. If they weren't separate states then this couldn't happen. I presume, but don't actually know, whether if either were to devolve the Queen would no longer be their Head of State or not. It may depend on the terms of devolution I suppose much as Brexit is to us now and maybe descend into as much chaos. I hope not.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

In my case:

UK (England, Wales and Scotland, but never Ireland)
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Iceland
Germany
Belgium
Netherlands
Portugal
Spain
Italy (& the Vatican)
Czech Republic
Greenland
Namibia
South Africa
Canada
USA
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

You are incorrect.

England has no parliament, no standing army, no separate tax raising powers. It has no passport, no representation at the United Nations (you need to be a sovereign state to be a member), no uninterrupted international border. England has no ability to negotiate or entreat with other sovereign states.

I could go on but I won’t. It’s hard fact. None of England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are countries using the international definition (which is, broadly, a sovereign state). They have devolved powers, yes, (Scotland, for example has a parliament with limited rights on taxes and law) but so do states of the USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state

The UK is the sovereign state, the international country if you will. The elements aren’t. Why we have separate teams is illogical and dumb. Ditto a bank called Bank of England (it should be the UK Central bank) but given the way by which this country is currently run, I’m not exactly surprised!

Anyway, back to lists!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Stu

Good list!

How was Greenland?
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Amazing, Ray. Highly scenic and lots to see. There are social issues there, like appalling alcoholism and some violence. It's also expensive to get to (Greenlandair flights from Copenhagen are very costly). Hotels are pricy and the only supermarket chain there, called "Pisiffic", was about three times as expensive for everything compared to what you would pay in Sainsbury's.

Worth a visit - but it will cost you.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It sounds wild, vibrant and different. I loved Iceland - only two times the price! Worth it though, and by the sounds of it, there are some similarities.