How many countries have you visited?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
quantum

Re: How many countries have you visited?

Post by quantum »

For me:-

England
Wales
Scotland
Isle of Man
Channel Islands (Jersey)
Yemen
Kenya
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Norway
France
Germany
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Gibraltar
Malaysia
New Zealand
Australia
Spain
Last edited by quantum on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Sinned wrote:Sorry, Ray, but England is a Sovereign state as is the UK. Each unit of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales is a country in its own right each with some degree of autonomy. Which is why in some sports events each country in the UK can compete in its own right and in others we compete as a single entity. It's also why Scotland, and to a degree Wales, who have defined borders, could devolve and become separate politically and financially. If they weren't separate states then this couldn't happen. I presume, but don't actually know, whether if either were to devolve the Queen would no longer be their Head of State or not. It may depend on the terms of devolution I suppose much as Brexit is to us now and maybe descend into as much chaos. I hope not.
No, 'Northern Ireland' is not a country.
(It is not even a full province)
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

UK - born and lived in England. Work and holidays in England and Scotland, holidays in Wales and NI
ROI - work and holiday
* IOM - work
* Jersey - work
France - work and holiday
Belgium - work
Netherlands - work
Denmark - work
Czech Republic - holiday
Spain - holiday
* Menorca - holiday
* Gibraltar - holiday
* Hong Kong - holiday
* Macau - holiday
India - work
Mexico - holiday
Canada - work and holiday
USA - work, holiday and my current country of residence

Those marked with a * probably fail Ray's criteria

Didn't really get much out of my trip to HK and Macau. I found the plethora of high-end shops and the emphasis on social standing / display of wealth not to my liking. I've enjoyed every trip I have taken to Canada and I've had some very enjoyable personal and work trips on the US. Closer to the place of my birth, I've had wonderful touring holidays in Wales and Scotland and will consider both as venues for retirement in a few years time.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

OK, Northern Ireland's status is not defined but they normally have their own assembly although it's suspended at the moment. For such a small entity it's certainly causing issues well beyond its size.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’d agree with that! It really makes sense for NI to unite with the Republic of Ireland, and it may well be that Brexit is a cause of that (particularly if Scotland leaves the UK) but emotions run high in the province.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Guess I had best put my list on.

Ireland
Iceland
Norway
Sweden
Finland

Estonia
Denmark
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium

Luxembourg
France
Spain
Portugal
Italy

Switzerland
Austria
Vatican City
Liechtenstein
Hungary

Slovenia
Croatia
Greece
Turkey
Cyprus

Canada
USA
Peru
South Africa
Tanzania

Singapore
Japan
Australia
New Zealand
Tahiti / Bora Bora (French Polynesia)*

(* strictly part of France)

Oh, and all four parts of the UK plus Jersey and Isle of Man.

As far as the USA goes, I have been to the following states

Georgia
Illinois
New York
Colorado
Arizona
Nevada
New Mexico
Utah
California
Hawaii

My favourite has to be Italy. It is, to me, the best country in the world. Scenery, culture, food, wine, art, architecture, cars and its people. I’ve been there three times this year, skiing in the Dolomites, living the high life on the Amalfi Coast, and walking through the past in Rome last weekend.

Least favourite? There are no countries that I don’t like, but Tanzania was the least impressive. The countryside is poor but honest and beautiful. Dar Es Salaam? A dump.

Most countries in a day? Five. Most in 25 seconds, Three!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Somewhere in the 90s the French farmers were in strike (again). They blocked most of the autoroutes in the north and east. Of course they were still blocking roads on the first day of my vacation. I had planned to be in the north of Spain that very first day. With a motorbike it can be done in about 12 to 15 hours, depending on the traffic. With the autoroutes blocked I had to find a way around France. Because of the French strike, also a lot of popular Autobahnen would be crowded by the traffic that also went around France. With a lot of careful planning I made it in about 20 hours and went through 9 countries. The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switserland, Italy, France, Monaco and at last Spain. I needed a day and a lot of wine to recover. I also was not very strict on speed limits. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Scotland
Wales
Jersey
Ireland
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Poland
Germany
Spain
(Mallorca)
Portugal
Switzerland
Italy
(Vatican City)
Romania
Greece
(Crete)
(Cyprus)
Turkey
Israel
Egypt
USA (6 states)
Brazil
Colombia

Just renewed my passport so perhaps I will get a chance to add to this. I've not been abroad for years.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

beachlion wrote:Somewhere in the 90s the French farmers were in strike (again). They blocked most of the autoroutes in the north and east. Of course they were still blocking roads on the first day of my vacation. I had planned to be in the north of Spain that very first day. With a motorbike it can be done in about 12 to 15 hours, depending on the traffic. With the autoroutes blocked I had to find a way around France. Because of the French strike, also a lot of popular Autobahnen would be crowded by the traffic that also went around France. With a lot of careful planning I made it in about 20 hours and went through 9 countries. The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switserland, Italy, France, Monaco and at last Spain. I needed a day and a lot of wine to recover. I also was not very strict on speed limits. ;)
What a brilliant story. On a bike? I’m surprised you could walk at all after that. Nine countries. That’s amazing!
kidme

Post by kidme »

Singapore
Malaysia (many times)
Brunei
Thailand (a few times)
Philippines (a few times)
Indonesia (a few times)
Japan (a few times)
Vietnam
China (a few times)
HongKong (before and after 97)
Macau (before handover)
Taiwan (a few times)
South Korea (a few times)
USA (many times, many states)
Maldives
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Germany (a few times)
Netherlands (a few times)
Spain
Australia (a few times)
New Zealand (a few times)

Every city in each country is different, and has stuff that I like and stuff that I can’t get accustomed to. I won’t say which I prefer in. E.g I would prefer to retire in a laid back city, with good cheap healthcare and close to nature. But that will bore me when I was younger and full of energy.

Personal Safety/security is a priority. Not every cities I visited, I enjoyed as the fear of being mugged is there. I was stuck in the middle of a riot mob before in Indonesia many years ago. The quick thinking of the taxi driver got us away safely.

Perhaps being able to walk around skirted is a criteria, thus I would prefer to avoid countries that don’t allow me this freedom of choice. - so far I have done this only in 3 countries. Also a place where English is a common language... it is not really easy getting by day to day alone when I can’t communicate to the locals to get around or understand road names, restaurant food menus....

So I don’t really have a favorite, although there are several cities I don’t mind returning over and over again.

P/S Typed this while I am in Amsterdam.