High voltage transmission lines

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby moonshadow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 pm

The first time I remember being shocked was when I was around 10 years old or so. Trying to jamb a night light with a polarized plug into a Christmas light string with a non-polarized plug. A slip of the finger as I contacted the hot. Lessons were learned that day....

More recently, around 15 years ago, I still recall the time I got into a commercial microwave with dual magnetrons and waveguides. I failed to properly discharge one of the microwave high voltage capacitors and successfully done so in palm of my hand!

On another time I was working on a reach in cooler, up on a ladder. I was leaning against the stainless frame of the unit and working on removing the capacitor off of a compressor. I did have the unit unplugged, but I also had not properly discharged that capacitor... that one freaked me out because I had recently heard a story of a man who was struck by 120 in one hand and out the other. It ran through his heart. He did not immediately die. In fact, he thought he was in the clear despite mild chest pains. 45 minutes later he dropped dead.
Back to my story, I felt the charge run through my chest, though it didn't last. I wasn't really sure what to do, so I stopped, climbed down, and just sat in the dining area for about a half hour or so around plenty of other people... just in case something should happen. Nothing ever did, and that was several years ago so I guess I'm okay today.

You gotta watch those damned capacitors!
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Appalachian Mountains (VA)

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby dillon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:46 pm

crfriend wrote:Watch it with the religion-bashing.

Also, if you think that national politics is a mess you'll find that international politics is ever more fraught with perils and pitfalls. In that mix there aren't just one or two packs of scoundrels lying to you there are dozens all at once -- and it's up to you to try to divine out what's actually going on.

I try to steer clear of it, despite my habit of reading books of the Bible periodically. But I generally bash all religions equally. I do not discriminate; I am an equal opportunity fan of REALITY. And when I lapse into the ethereal, I am, by and large, a cosmic deist. As Marx (Karl, not Groucho) said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses." He was errant in his dismissal of greed as a human nature, but spot-on right about theology.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby kingfish » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:40 am

It was a neat talk on the high voltage transmission lines. It did remind me of an interactive map I recently discovered, at least for the US from the US Energy Information administration at https://www.eia.gov/state/maps.php It's a google mashup that shows pretty much every power plant transmission line, and a wide variety things related to energy transmission, storage, etc for the United States.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:49 pm
Location: Metrowest Suburbs of Boston

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby pelmut » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm

moonshadow wrote:...You gotta watch those damned capacitors!

If they are discharged and then stored open-circuit, they can build up charge again as the dielectric stresses gradually become relieved.  Large capacitors should be stored with a bit of bare wire wrapped around their terminals.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby crfriend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm

kingfish wrote:[...] remind[ed] me of an interactive map I recently discovered, at least for the US from the US Energy Information administration at https://www.eia.gov/state/maps.php It's a google mashup that shows pretty much every power plant transmission line, and a wide variety things related to energy transmission, storage, etc for the United States.

That's quite the find. Thanks for passing it along.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10580
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Ah. Muslim-bashing. How very Christian American.

I find Christianity as weird as Islam - but I do not fear or hate Muslims. Or Christians, for that matter.

For the Muslim bashers, get a grip and travel more. It will educate you and may just make you more tolerant.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby JohnH » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:17 pm

Ray wrote:Ah. Muslim-bashing. How very Christian American.

I find Christianity as weird as Islam - but I do not fear or hate Muslims. Or Christians, for that matter.

For the Muslim bashers, get a grip and travel more. It will educate you and may just make you more tolerant.


We lost thousands of people in 9/11-2001 (September 11, 2001) since some Muslim extremists took it upon themselves to force airliners to fly into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Also there was an airliner that passengers forced down to their deaths so the plane would not be rammed into a building. The death toll exceeded the Pearl Harbor death toll. All air traffic was halted for 3 days in the US except for the military, and thousands of people were stranded for days.

We have to endure TSA checkpoints and long lines to try to prevent a recurrence of a 9/11. We even have to take off our shoes to confirm no explosives are contained in them.

Who did the terrorist acts? It was not Sikhs, Hindus, Shintos, Zoastreans, Buddhists, Jews, or Christians. They were a handful of Muslim extremists who committed these atrocities. Who commits suicide bombings? Only radical Muslims. I can travel the world over, and it will not change my mind. I don't even have to be a Christian to form my opinions of some radical Muslims who conduct suicidal terrorist acts.
User avatar
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Irving, Texas USA

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby crfriend » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Again, I am going to caution on the matter of religion-bashing.

What happened on 2001-09-11 was orchestrated, and funded by, a nut-case with a very kinky interpretation of one particular middle-eastern religion. Worse, is that the intelligence folks got caught with their pants down and couldn't connect the dots because they were looking in all the wrong places -- because they'd been trained to look there rather than following the trajectory of the world around them. Worse still, is the response of the US government which handed Al Queada their victory on a golden platter by cracking down on the civil liberties of US citizens within their own borders.

The losers in this were the citizens of the USA who now live in a surveillance society that more closely resembles a police-state than ever before. Now get to put up with the security theatre of the TSA [1], endless hassle when we want to move around our own country, and general decay in our rights as citizens. Precisely the only positive thing to come out of the incident was the beefing up of the cockpit doors. Let's apportion blame where blame belongs.

Islam was not to blame for that event; it was one madman's interpretation of it that set the spark off. The USA itself did the rest.


[1] Read in French, "TSA" could actually translate into "Security Theatre Administration. Whether that was deliberate or not I'll leave to conjecture.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10580
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby 6ft3Aussie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:14 am

Back on the subject of high voltage transmission lines, have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K87b3yvFm7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGoaXZwFlJ4

I've had a few good belts, probably the biggest was setting up some HV supplies to run photomultiplier tubes for a weather observation station (Looking at different wavelengths of light filtered through airbourne particulate), the anode supply was 2kV, with a designed trip-off current of 1.6mA, however I couldn't get one to trip.
Procedure for setup was to use a specific load resistor, increase the output voltage to 110% of operating voltage and then adjust the trip point to just trip off at that point. On this one occasion it wasn't tripping, and my adjusting tool (screwdriver) slipped off the pot and hit the end of a component that was live at approximately 2.2kV. The supply tripped off and it felt like somebody jabbed me hard in the ribs. That was 26 years ago, no damage done.
I've had a couple of belts off 240V but none as bad as inadvertently getting across the secondary of a 240 to 110V step down transformer (isolated) with the back of my hand while repairing a piece of gear (I think it was an Ice Cream vending machine of US origin). A few expletives uttered that day.

Electric fences can also pack a punch if you're not expecting it.

Always when working on gear on the bench I use a 1:1 isolation transformer, saves your bacon as well as your test gear from destruction.
6ft3Aussie
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby dillon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 am

JohnH wrote:
Ray wrote:Ah. Muslim-bashing. How very Christian American.

I find Christianity as weird as Islam - but I do not fear or hate Muslims. Or Christians, for that matter.

For the Muslim bashers, get a grip and travel more. It will educate you and may just make you more tolerant.


We lost thousands of people in 9/11-2001 (September 11, 2001) since some Muslim extremists took it upon themselves to force airliners to fly into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Also there was an airliner that passengers forced down to their deaths so the plane would not be rammed into a building. The death toll exceeded the Pearl Harbor death toll. All air traffic was halted for 3 days in the US except for the military, and thousands of people were stranded for days.

We have to endure TSA checkpoints and long lines to try to prevent a recurrence of a 9/11. We even have to take off our shoes to confirm no explosives are contained in them.

Who did the terrorist acts? It was not Sikhs, Hindus, Shintos, Zoastreans, Buddhists, Jews, or Christians. They were a handful of Muslim extremists who committed these atrocities. Who commits suicide bombings? Only radical Muslims. I can travel the world over, and it will not change my mind. I don't even have to be a Christian to form my opinions of some radical Muslims who conduct suicidal terrorist acts.


John, the problem isn't Islam. The problem is deistic blindness. At any point men allow the name of God to enter their governance, they bring upon themselves total and abject suffering. Theocracy doesn't just enable mans most base and vile savagery, theocracy DEMANDS it. Even theocracy is a competition between MEN. And when a man fears his competitor, how else can he compete but to proclaim himself the TRUE spokesman for the Almighty? Theocracy DEMANDS blood sacrifice, for how else can man demonstrate his devotion but through the most lethal and drastic means, and with the greatest bloodletting? For doesn't GOD deserve TOTAL OBEDIENCE? Doesn't he COMMAND it? Isn't devotion to GOD worthy of the extermination of all who think differently? Violence in a theocracy is not only likely, it is ESSENTIAL.

Now, I know some members, upon reading this, will want to say "But that can't happen to us because we are Christian and they are (Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhist, Sikh, Jew, Rastafarian...[insert religion here]...whatever...) But to do so is to admit an oblivious ignorance of HISTORY. There's nothing wrong with BELIEF, as long as one maintains an open mind to the possibility of BEING TOTALLY WRONG; and being wrong, violently wrong, has been demonstrated in the history of EVERY faith. But when you close off that avenue, you are part of the world's greatest problem, and not contributing at all to its solution. You become a proliferator of ignorance, and not an enlightener.

I believe man's true gift from an almighty deity is intellect. And that our failure to exercise that gift is an insult to the giver. As I mentioned before, like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, and the nation's other founding fathers, I am a cosmic deist. So I believe in a simple truth: that which we can assess, measure, prove, and explain is TRUTH; undemonstrable belief isn't. If the entire world adhered to that creed, 9/11 would never have happened. My favorite Presidents are John Quincy Adams, because he was so concerned with the tide of theocratic thought (he served during the rise of the Baptists) that he took his Oath of Office upon a book of law instead of the Bible...and Jimmy Carter, for despite being a born-again Christian, he restrained religion from government; his successor, Reagan, as non-religious as even Trump, for political reasons opened the floodgates for theocracy.

science-religion2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby dillon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:44 am

crfriend wrote:Again, I am going to caution on the matter of religion-bashing.

What happened on 2001-09-11 was orchestrated, and funded by, a nut-case with a very kinky interpretation of one particular middle-eastern religion. Worse, is that the intelligence folks got caught with their pants down and couldn't connect the dots because they were looking in all the wrong places -- because they'd been trained to look there rather than following the trajectory of the world around them. Worse still, is the response of the US government which handed Al Queada their victory on a golden platter by cracking down on the civil liberties of US citizens within their own borders.

The losers in this were the citizens of the USA who now live in a surveillance society that more closely resembles a police-state than ever before. Now get to put up with the security theatre of the TSA [1], endless hassle when we want to move around our own country, and general decay in our rights as citizens. Precisely the only positive thing to come out of the incident was the beefing up of the cockpit doors. Let's apportion blame where blame belongs.

Islam was not to blame for that event; it was one madman's interpretation of it that set the spark off. The USA itself did the rest.


[1] Read in French, "TSA" could actually translate into "Security Theatre Administration. Whether that was deliberate or not I'll leave to conjecture.

Sorry, Carl...but I did bash all faiths equally...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm
Location: southeast NC coast

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby r.m.anderson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 am

6ft3Aussie wrote:Back on the subject of high voltage transmission lines, have a look at:
/s/

Electric fences can also pack a punch if you're not expecting it.

/s/


Yeah you all be careful pissing around those electric fences - even cattle know better.

Your center tank becomes a good transmission source for a misdirected flow.

So knock yourself out or WAIT - Don't knock yourself out !

And don't leak up a lone prairie tree in a lighting storm !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1895
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby Jetblasted » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 am

I have a very strong feeling that the 9/11 narrative will be laid bare within a year.
Jetblasted
Active Member
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:26 am

I have a very strong feeling that you’re wrong on that, but we shall see.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: High voltage transmission lines

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am

dillon wrote: Theocracy DEMANDS blood sacrifice, for how else can man demonstrate his devotion but through the most lethal and drastic means, and with the greatest bloodletting? For doesn't GOD deserve TOTAL OBEDIENCE? Doesn't he COMMAND it? Isn't devotion to GOD worthy of the extermination of all who think differently? Violence in a theocracy is not only likely, it is ESSENTIAL.

Unless one's God is Jesus, who said to love your enemy, to not fear those who can kill the body, and not resist one who is evil. The New Testament teaches that Jesus' suffering (allowing evil people to hurt him) is an example Christians are called to follow. A belief in resurrection makes a difference.
User avatar
Jim
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest