Made in _________

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Made in _________

Post by Fred in Skirts »

There is something still made in the good ole' USA!
You use it several times a week. It is the good old household broom that sweeps up all of the crumbs off the floor. It is made by the Birdwell company in Burlenson, Texas since 1945.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I once said to an older female customer who was buying a broom ( brush? ), "Well, at least you have your transport home." Fortunately she had a sense of humour. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I guess, as a retired agronomist, I should oppose tariffs that injure America’s markets in China, but I don’t. Not for the reasons that a Trump gives, of course, which are the only the whims of a fool, but because Trump, inadvertently was about to help the country improve the rapidly diminishing quality of our agricultural soils. Not by design, obviously, but by accident, he actually benefited the environment.

But then he came up with the “Soybean Bailout” farmer welfare program, which is the most poorly designed Ag welfare giveaway in US history; evidence of how ignorance governs. He promised farmers to use tariff revenues from China to support their loss of the Chinese market for their soybeans...and then failed to set acreage limits. Naturally, when farmers heard Trump would pay them for unmarketable soybean production, they all planted soybeans!

So far, Trump’s bailout has cost taxpayers four times what his China tariffs have yielded, and twice what Obama’s bailout of the auto industry cost...the difference being that the Obama Auto Bailout was LOANS...all of which were repaid...while Trump’s farm bailout was in the form of a GIVEAWAY...and will NEVER be repaid. This is GOP WELFARE...**** up the economy and buy off your constituencies.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote:No doom and gloom please and NO POLITICS!
With all due respect, when threads I start or involve myself in turn political, certain people pounce on me and the thread winds up getting locked.

Thus I don't talk politics here anymore... period. I would greatly appreciate it if this thread would remain free of such discussion.

It's nothing personal, but let's just.... not....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Though the industry is now a fraction of its former size, my home town in the UK was and still is synonymous with the production of leather goods - particularly saddles for the British Royal Family.

James Alexander Holden, son of a saddler and hardware merchant, emigrated from the town to South Australia and set up a company that went on to build Holden cars.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Here's one from Carl's neck of the woods:
20191005_201251.JPG
This basket is every bit of 25 to 30 years old (I'm amazed I still have it!) It still has a little sticker on the side marked "TOYS" (from my childhood)

I can not find any up to date information to see if FREM CORPORATION is still in business today, or if they are still producing plastics in the U.S.A.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I can not find any up to date information to see if FREM CORPORATION is still in business today, or if they are still producing plastics in the U.S.A.
Worcester used to be a manufacturing powerhouse in days gone by and was home to any number of industries. However, that seriously waned in the latter half of the 20th Century and is virtually non-existent now. I know a decent bit about Worcester's history, but had never heard of Frem, so I very seriously doubt that they're still around. about the only serious manufacturing concern now in Worcester is Saint Gobain, which used to be Norton. Groton, a couple of towns away, still has Wyman Gordon, but for classic industry there's very little as everything's now imported; most of Worcester seems to be biotech and "service industry" nowadays.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I used to live on the East Arlington / Somerville border. An aunt and her best friend from Bangor, ME visited my parents in the UK and brought along a bottle of this stuff as a present. I was surprised to see that it is made in Somerville. Apparently this beverage is a big thing in parts of ME.
kidme

Post by kidme »

Many years back, I travelled to San Francisco for business meeting. I was shopping for souvenirs with my colleagues from China. They had lots of problems finding some souvenirs to bring back to their colleagues back in China... because most of the cheap touristy souvenirs are made from China.