You just can’t make this stuff up...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You just can’t make this stuff up...

Post by moonshadow »

There is no way I will advocate for the secession of any U.S. state.

Say what you will... but this is the U.S.A., not the D.S.A. or the C.S.A. The U in U.S.A. stands for united... as in all of us. Everyone. All races, all colors, all religions, all the genders, the normal people and weird ones too... EVERYONE. Even Trump people, even Pelosi people, even Bernie people, even Pence people, from the Catholics to the church of Satan, to the atheist and everyone in between. Snowflakes, libtards, liberals, conservatives, moderates, Democrats, Republicans, all the other little parties... everyone.

I have pride in all 50 states in the union, all 50 stars of the flag, all 327 million of her citizens, and her constitution that covers all people on her soil.

Ya'll can wish on whatever state to leave as you wish... but not this old boy.

A house divided can not stand.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One possibility would be a loosening up of the Federal system, a de-centralization.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dan what good is that flag you're so proud of when you're advocating removing stars off the blue corner?

Your comment about Californian dropping out of the union and into the ocean surprised me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

moonshadow wrote:Dan what good is that flag you're so proud of when you're advocating removing stars off the blue corner?

Your comment about Californian dropping out of the union and into the ocean surprised me.
I didn't start that train of thought CR did. How about 52 states add PR and Greenland.

As far as California falling into the sea that might be something that non of us can control
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:As far as California falling into the sea that might be something that non of us can control
True, but that doesn't mean we should wish for it. Such a disaster would be horrendous and no doubt would deeply effect the rest of the nation emotionally, spiritually, culturally, economically, etc. I'd say most of American culture comes from California, California, Texas, and New York are probably the most well known and talked about areas in the western world.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:A house divided can not stand.
The sad fact is that it's divided already -- and has been since the 1850s. Those wounds are not going to heal. I posit that it's time to fission the place -- peacefully, and then let diplomacy sort the details out.

Let's start at the Mason-Dixon Line; the participants in that marriage have been fighting since the 1860s. Let them go their separate ways and somehow keep them from perpetuating the fight. After that, the two nations can decide what's best for themselves and act accordingly.

I originally started writing a justification of the above opinion (and have been fighting with a wonky keyboard), but it was turning into a multi-paragraph piece that nobody would bother to read because none of us have the time to exert thought on the problem -- and that's yet another problem.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

What will wind up happening is our own version of Brexit. It would just be a big fuster cluck. Consider that even among the individual states, many are about evenly divided now. I suspect that if we attempt this, everything would likely disintegrate. There wouldn't be two nations.... they would just be a mess.

Even if its tried, it won't be peaceful. There will be rivers of blood spilled... and for what.... healthcare? LGBT rights? Racism? Immigration? Abortion? Because we all can't work the problem like mature adults the nation must fall apart into little factions?

What about me and people like me? The union is the only thing keeping states like Virginia, Tennessee and North Caronlna from becoming a full blown theocracy, because you know under a new conservative constitution, protestant Christisnity will be the official religion of the state.

I don't want to be forced into leaving my home. I don't want to have to defend myself against a Leviticus minded state that is out to stone me to death for being an infidel.

It will be like the middle east.

No, we need to find a way to make it work and hold the union together. We need elected leaders that build bridges, not walls, and before someone gets worked up, the comment was METAPHORICAL! I'm not talking about the Trump wall.
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Jesus I thought I was the monger of doom and gloom you too need to take some happy pills. And don't worry Donald will take care of everything :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Of course we have our own version of the Comedy Club in Westminster. They are doing their level best to live up to their own satire at the moment. For so called professionals they are certainly making such a hash of the simple? process of exiting Europe. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Jesus I thought I was the monger of doom and gloom you too need to take some happy pills. And don't worry Donald will take care of everything :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm fine. California isn't going anywhere no more than Texas was back when Obama was president.

This thing between California and Texas, the two biggest states, politically opposed, constantly threatening to secede when we have a president contrary to one of the other's political base is childish and it needs to stop.

Either state, or any other for that matter can take a legal trial run to see how they like it on their own... just leave that federal money on the table and invoke the 10th amendment and see how that works for them.

At any rate my generation is getting to the age now where we can start to enter high politics... in 10 to 20 years now we'll have a president that was likely born in the 80s... we'll just see what comes down the river...

And if Ivanka can get the votes.... good on her, same applies to whatever opponent.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think that politics really began to sour when the Baby Boom generation began to gain power. I am hoping that generation X will be calmer as they gain influence.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In one forum I used to frequent (now defunct) there was extensive discussion of U.S. politics. Perhaps there is a thing or two I should explain to non-American members.

In American politics, you have to go back to the 1860s to find a more divisive period.

In terms of domestic issues, our present day politics has been described as an Internal Cold War or a Cold Civil War.

There is one difference between now and the 1860s-there isn't any issue now that is quite as inflammatory as slavery was back then.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:I think that politics really began to sour when the Baby Boom generation began to gain power. I am hoping that generation X will be calmer as they gain influence.
The fact these candidates, at the age of 50, will likely still paying off student loans and living without health insurance is sure to help...

But don't get your hopes up... the previous occupants of various government agencies have stocked the nation's school boards with members that are teaching creationism and a 6,000 year old earth. I figure American children today just won't be able to compete with other nations.

I fully expect Asia to take the lead in industry and innovation, and Russia will likely have a hand in outer space exploration. Back at home we'll be too busy fighting over which candidate is more Christian than the other and hitting each other over the head with bibles.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One would think that we would now have very divisive views regarding foreign policy. One would expect very partisan attacks against Trump regarding this.

However, the appeal of isolationism has re-asserted itself.

Groups that one might expect to fight over an active foreign policy needn't fight if they all accept disengagement/retrenchment.

A key point is that the USA is no longer motivated by the Cold War.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

The next superpower will be China.

John