Current events

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Current events

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As having been a part of the media in my earlier life (worked at a radio station as a reporter and as a disc jockey) I can understand the lack of follow up on the facts it should be done as part of the job of reporting. I tried to do just that because I understood the publics need to have all of the facts to understand the story.
But todays media is strictly a make it up as you go, to sell advertising at the highest price you can get. The facts don't matter one bit.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Carl wrote (one classic one was a sailplane crash into a house a number of months ago where the on-air anchor stated that it was caused by "a loss of power" [0]).
[0] It's a SAILplane, stupid. Sailplanes do not have powerplants.
But Carl the sailplane does have power but it is not part of the air frame.
It is the wind and if the wind stops the sailplane losses power. :lol: And then they sometimes fall or lose a lot of altitude and that causes them to hit things like houses. :lol: :lol: :hide: :toast:
You put a LOL in there. I hope this means you are not serious.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

partlyscot wrote:You put a LOL in there. I hope this means you are not serious.
It is of course written in the Language of Humor...... :rofl: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ray wrote:Dan, I understand the sentiment, but would the suppression of the bad stuff be right? That sounds worrying to me. In the UK, we are currently seeing the media cover economic and political gloom for the most part - but people need to know this stuff. If you have two mass shootings, should that not be reported with the subsequent debate that would ensue? Or are both sides too entrenched?

Perhaps all media outlets should - by law - have a section of their programme or newspaper devoted to “and now for something on a happy note” story?
Ray I agree that we have to remain informed . especially with major events.

What bothers me is on a " Non news day" they have to find or create some doom and gloom story to try to get attention