Notre dame paris

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Notre dame paris

Post by Kirbstone »

President Macron has just announced tonight that the Cathedral will be fully restored 'within five years' . Brave words. With the influx of money they won't be short of that, but it will take a meeting of masterminds to design, supervise and steer a speedy restoration without major hic-cups and as has been said, arrange that the funds don't end up in the wrong hands.
It'll certainly keep those skilled restorers in work for quite a long time.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, I agree with you. Five years is a completely unrealistical target. It'll probably take them about a year to stabilise the stone walls, erect a temporary roof and survey the work that has to be done. You have to remember that the fire in Y.M. only affected one transept or wing because of its central tower whereas the whole roof has gone with N.D.. The fire will have damaged some of the stonework up hear the roof and that will have to be remove and replaced before work on the roof can even start. Ten years is probably a more realistic target for the majority of the work and probably double that for the finer details such as glass restoration to be done. Y.M. looks magnificent now and no doubt N.D. will too but it will take patience, planning and time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thread drift here, but this morning I dispatched MOH and her coachload of book club ladies off to York & YM, no doubt.

Their assault vehicle is thinly disguised as a J.J.Kavanagh coach Reg No. 171-W-11, easily traceable and the Yorkie flak can home in on it as it approaches tomorrow. Weaponry stowed in the hold underneath includes sundry walking sticks (safety catches on) and even the odd brolly, as the forecast isn't wonderful.

Climax of the campaign will be the storming of two theatres on Thursday 9th, for which they must divide into two parties, one lot to disrupt Shakespeare's 'All's well that ends well' at the Riding Lights Theatre, the other to spoil the 'Marriage of Figaro', the opera at the Joseph Rowntree Theatre. Task accomplished, they plan to vacate York without casualties on Friday 10th. In their schedule I note they haven't allotted any time for satsuma picking.

I allude to this expedition only as it affords me a whole week's uninterrupted domestic skirting with perhaps some forays out dog-walking so attired, which will be a joy. However, as it was freezing both yesterday and this morning I'll have to wear something on me-owl-legs, alas.

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not sure that I can help you, To. Tomorrow I'm free during the day but Wednesday, Thursday and Friday MOH is around and escaping from our abode skirted will be difficult. I know where both theatres are - one is near the Yorvik Centre in town, where the smelly Vikings live, and the other is over near Willie Wonka's factory. Enjoy your free time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah Dennis,
You've got the wrong end of the Italian WW2 grenade. I sent them on their way, having transported three of them plus ordnance & weaponry to meet the coach, as did lots of others.
I stay at home to look after the menagerie, feeding them, walking the dogs, putting the poultry to bed, collecting the eggs, watering the polytunnel, greenhouse & conservatory in that order and I will be working just four days this week, Monday being repair the wooden rowboat day down in the boathouse by our vast inland sea :roll:

A 50 year-old light-Craft Graduate sailing dinghy, way past its retirement date, converted to a rowboat for the entertainment of guests. The much-repaired bottom of quarter-inch (6mm) marine ply has been ripped out and replaced in 9mm as it no longer needs to be light. Much stronger and will stand up to abuse & hopefully not leak!

Btw. It Would be nice one day to meet up with you in York......

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I would love to meet up Tom, irrespective of what MOH thinks about me going out skirted. One of our cats had 6 kittens this morning. We were up around 04:00 and the last kitten was born about 13:00. All seem to be well. So that's 10 kittens we have as four were born to another cat about 4 weeks ago.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Me too, Dennis and MOH is even more anti than yours.

My word, you ARE swimming in felines. We keep a total of five, not together, all neutered, so positively no kittens on the way. Transport difficulties notwithstanding, I'm sure Moon would take a couple of them off you, were that possible.

I spoke to said MOH today about an unrelated matter and she reports that they have pitched camp on the outskirts of York, but have manifestly far too few incendiary devices with them to set the whole place alight, so some of the City is destined to survive their visit. :D Anyway, it is raining, so it'll be brollies aloft.......

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Here's an update on the work that's been going on with the Notre Dame Cathedral:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/it ... li=BBoPWjQ
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Thank you for the up date sinner.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A brief visit to U-tube and typing in 'Notre Dame Cathedral' will direct you to plethora of very interesting and informative articles about the history and restoration, a lot of them not in English.

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I watched a programme on the current state of affairs on one of the freeview channels. Apparently they're still in the stage of removing tons of scaffolding ruined in the fire and stabilising the brickwork. The glasswork has to all be removed, cleaned and replaced. Some of the techniques used after the fire in York Minster may be used. It appears still not certain that the fabric of the cathedral can be saved. Any bits removed have to be done carefully to avoid any collapses. Also different limestones were used in different parts of the building dependent upon need. Analysis has led the experts to determine where in the mining tunnels underneath Paris the various limestones were extracted. Reconstruction seems an awful long way away.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In an earlier post I said that it would probably take a year to stabilise the walls. I was 100% out on that. In a MSN article it says it has taken almost 2 1/2 years to do that. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/no ... li=BBoPWjQ. It appears that all the overhanging, damaged internal scaffolding has been removed [0] replaced with new to support the walls. There have been one or two programmes in the intervening period with updates on the work detailing the removal and examination of all debris, the removal and cataloguing of all upper, damaged stonework and the determination of how damaged the remaining stonework is, It is likely that all the stained glass will need to be removed, cleaned, examined for cracking and replaced. With the York Minster all the medieval glass was sandwiched between pieces of new glass. But that work can be undertaken during and after the main renovations. It would be ironic if the Minster glaziers were asked to contribute to that as they do have the experience.

We are all but half way through the 5 year timescale so it is looking a bit optimistic. The clock is ticking ....

[0] I bet that process was squeaky bum time judging by photographs taken during the early months of the cleanup.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A ghastly event which had us all horrified throughout the World, ND is such an iconic Parisian edifice.

Wonderful to see the hundred-foot-high forest of scaffolding and custom-made trusses in place to support the stonework arches. There remains still that gaping hole in the roof vaulting through which the spire fell, perhaps the most difficult part to restore.
I've no doubt they'll already have bent the ears of the York Minster restorers about the glass areas, really vast in the case of ND. It's clear that experts world-wide have been called in to help with all aspects of the restoration.

They seem unsurprisingly determined to have the Cathedral useable in 'some measure' by the Olympics in 2024. Exactly how much will be done by then remains to be seen, but I expect much of the roof will be back and the organ restored. It's clear though, that work will go on indefinitely from now, but the remembered grandeur should largely be back within a decade at most.

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A lot may depend upon being able to get trees long enough to cut the roof beams from. Single pieces of oak that long will not be easy and take hundreds of years to grow. Every beam was from one tree and it's estimated that up to 13.000 trees may be needed. Also the stone used is local and comes from underneath Paris but the quarries under there have not been used for a long time. I wonder if investigations are already underway on this. It appears that work on the magnificent windows hasn't started and the archbishop overseeing all this mooted at changing certain things such as the spire and window with modern glass and designs but it appears that there was a bit of an outcry so for the moment it is to be a like for like rebuild. That's all I have been able to find out for now. Unless anyone else can add anything.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Notre Dame de Paris has a long history, and at least one substantial "makeover" -- the addition of the central spire, which was not without controversy.

Given that these are "living buildings", what's to say that a modern reinterpretation of the old wooden roof clad in lead might not be done? Contemplate, perhaps, a modern space-framed aluminium and glass structure that would weigh a tiny fraction of the original "la foret" and let in even more light? What would the original designers have thought of that (had they had the technology)? Too, that the roof structure is not visible from the inside of the cathedral, what's to say that a modern design executed to look precisely like the original roof-line be done which also would likely weigh a tiny fraction of the original article.

What would the artisans of the time have done with the technology we have today? La Familia Sagrada comes to mind, and it's only been in very recent times that we've been able to even start executing the original design (which is also fairly recent).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!