Notre dame paris

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Notre dame paris

Post by Kirbstone »

I first saw La Sagrada Familia in 1965 when it was just two four-spired gable ends defining the ultimate dimensions of the basilica-to-be. I then got an aerial look at it in 1999 but didn't visit it. It's certainly on my bucket list and its construction has been vastly speeded up by advances in technology.

They say that the central 500ft tower-spire will be in place very shortly. Impressive!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Traditionalists v Modernists. I'm with you, Carl, on being practical and if it isn't seen then do what is logical. In the Minster renovation certain visible artifacts had a more modern interpretation. We shall see over the coming months who wins and that will determine how long the renovation takes to complete.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The American Public Broadcasting System was given full access to the restoration process for Notre Dame de Paris (There are Notre Dame cathedrals all over France and Western Europe.). They will be providing a whole series of documentaries on the work as it progresses, but even in the first one they made it clear that the original materials and construction techniques will be used throughout. Perhaps with modern tools, but the original materials and techniques nonetheless.

Fortunately, the original oak forest that provided the timber for the roof rafters is still intact and has had enough years to provide enough trees of sufficient size to replace the timbers.

One of the more remarkable aspects of the process was how meticulously they were removing the debris so they can duplicate the rafter "forest" as closely as possible.

I assumed (hoped) like most of you, that they would replace all of that incredibly massive roof structure with steel framing and some lighter, less toxic material than lead for the roofing, but apparently not.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:49 am I assumed (hoped) like most of you, that they would replace all of that incredibly massive roof structure with steel framing and some lighter, less toxic material than lead for the roofing, but apparently not.
Lead is pretty inert in normal circumstances; it forms a protective surface film which resists further degradation, that is why it is so long-lasting when exposed to the weather on a roof.  Some lead compounds are dangerous, particularly if they are ingested by mouth, but there has been a huge scare campaign to demonise lead and eliminate it from places where it is useful and relatively harmless, such as tin/lead solder.  There never was any convincing evidence that lead leached out of consumer products in landfill, but the lie was told so often that the politicians believed it and, on the basis of that, the whole electronics industry has been forced to produce more expensive, less durable products, which finish up in landfill even sooner.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The main problem with the lead in the fire is that it formed a vapour with the intense heat an formed lead oxides and other lead compounds[0]. These condensed compounds in the ash were toxic and meant respirators and whole body protections were needed to avoid inhalation an skin contact. The fine debris was collected and examined most carefully as a lot of information about what was in the roof could be obtained from it.

As well as the general smoke and danger from the flames it is one reason why people were evacuated from areas around ND.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.