The Job Hunt begins...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

Re: The Job Hunt begins...

Postby moonshadow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 am

crfriend wrote:If I knew then what I know now, I'd likely have become a plumber with a speciality in HVAC systems.")

I'm close, a little light plumbing does come with the territory I cover, and though I no longer do refrigeration, I still retain the training and have the certification, it wouldn't take me long to sand the rust off and get back in the groove if I had to. The biggest problem is, my industry is not known for being "man skirt friendly". You literally have to work for large corporations with a wide range of progressive hiring policies. All of the "little mom and pop" repair establishments are pretty much out of the question. They find out about your personal life, and it's the old pink slip...

It's also not a field that makes a lot of money, rather the low end of "middle class". But on the other hand, when you don't generate large paychecks, you generally don't generate large expenses and bills. It's all about living within your means.

Good luck kingfish! Carl's advice about not getting too hung up on your occupation is sound. I've applied it a lot myself over the last few years.
"Our task is not to destroy but to build; not to hate but to find a place of yielding; not to polarize but to discover the points of commonality so that we can work together. Learn this lesson, dear friends, it will serve you well"
-Rebbe Zalman
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby kingfish » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Freedomforall wrote:Hey my wife just reminded me they were bought by Leidos, who also employs electrical engineers. She suggests looking on their site as well. If you do apply, please let us know as she may be eligible for a recruiting bonus.

Nothing near me....Amarillo Texas? With kinfolk scattered all over that region? The odd irony is that last year at this time we finished concluding my late father's and sisters's affairs down there! That and I also don't have a top secret security clearance.

moonshadow wrote:
Good luck kingfish! Carl's advice about not getting too hung up on your occupation is sound. I've applied it a lot myself over the last few years.

Thanks for the advice and positive thoughts. My philosophy, even at my last employer has always been to do whatever I could to make a difference. Even though I'm an electrical guy with embedded electronic training, I was also their resident milling machine operator, mechanical guy, makerbot wizard, seamstress, and troubleshooter.

No job is too dirty.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby FranTastic444 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation. We had a real uncomfortable situation when we came into work the other morning and a woman from HR (based in NYC) and a big boss (based in Europe) were in the office. We knew that somebody was going to get 'bad news' that day - not a pleasant day at work.

If you can code, have you thought about trying something different such as developer (or even tech support) for either the financial services or medical industries?

Both sectors seem to be recruiting heavily right now in Boston.

Are you on LinkedIN? If you set up a profile and mark yourself as actively looking for a new position, you will get interest from recruiters.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Sinned » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 pm

kingfish, I really feel for you. Unemployment can be soooooo demoralising and depressing. I have had periods and it engenders total feelings of worthlessness. And the longer you are out of work the worse it gets and the more your experience, knowledge and skills get diluted if you don't keep your hand into something affiliated as Carl did. Unfortunately all I can offer is good wishes and the hope that you get your mind in order and find a better position soon.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Off Topic