[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
skirtcafe.org • View topic - The Job Hunt begins...

The Job Hunt begins...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

The Job Hunt begins...

Postby kingfish » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi,

After 26 years and 8 months, this past Monday, I received the lay-off.

Does anyone in the eastern Massachusetts area know of skirt friendly (or skirt indifferent) companies looking to hire an electrical engineer with a couple decades of embedded electronic design experience scattered across pretty much all the phases of that development from proof-of-concept to production, including schematics, pcb layouts, firmware, software, and functional test.

My hometown of Holliston does have a Men In Kilts franchise, but I don't see myself taking up a career cleaning gutters.

I did see some postings for the Mathworks, but remembering Carl's "adventures" toward the end of his tenure there, I thankfully know better. Though, I think I have a bit of that particular "gaslit" feeling regarding my last months there.

Carl, what did you do to get the groove back?

Thanks,
John.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Job Hunt begins...

Postby Fred in Skirts » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm

What caused the layoff?? With that kind of tenure you should be the last one out the door when the company folded. :(
:kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:49 pm

-- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Postby kingfish » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Carl,
Thanks for those insight(s). I know my sister is looking to have me dive right back in so to speak, and even spotted a possible opening in my home town less than 10 minutes from my house. Right now, I'm feeling a strong need to "re-tool" and may take the time to do some of that...that is once the panic-despair cycling calms down a bit. Though getting my head into the search seems to calm that one pretty good.

My induced attention deficit was something I actually didn't feel much pain from, even though it kept me from being productive on anything requiring deep thought. I have been tested for ADHD and have traces. Things like getting phone answering duty, getting asked where something is, having my back to the main hallway, having hearing good enough to clearly make out conversations in the next room (and being banned from wearing headphones), and getting asked for little things a dozen times a day can really interfere with being able put the concentration that produces good, timely results. Of course, I also didn't mind mindless stuff. If they're going to pay me to sweep the floors, okay.

The layoff was resulting from a financial pinch the company is feeling at the moment. By taking out me and one other guy, they've effectively cut their workforce by about 14%. It was an engineering services company. The kind of place that other companies would contract for electronic design work in lieu of building an in-house design team. This meant that we tended to get busy in times of economic uncertainty or labor shortage. Alternately, it also means they get slow in times when the economy is really bad or really good. And right now, the economy is really good and the labor market is only just starting to dry up around here.

We also didn't really specialize in a particular target industry or phase of development. I've written small scale firmware, written PC applications, I've laid out PC boards, put together costed bills of materials, written illustrated build and test procedures, failure analysis, and even filled in on some mechanical design work. I've worked on large industrial equipment, commercial equipment, consumer electronics, medical equipment (both clinical and research), design validation equipment, functional test equipment, and can even hold my own operating/maintining a makerbot(tm) 3D printer.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 am

crfriend
Master Barista

Postby kingfish » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Freedomforall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:31 am

Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am

crfriend
Master Barista

Postby kingfish » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm

kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby kingfish » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Fred in Skirts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 pm

:kiltdance:

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:58 pm

crfriend
Master Barista

Postby dillon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 am

I don’t have much advice for eastern MA, but I suspect that if it’s important to you to follow the same career, you’ll have to consider relocating. That’s sort of expected in the corporate world now. In my own case, I see dozens of jobs in California but few in the Carolinas. Luckily I have a pension, such as it is, and don’t have to beat the bushes for a job. Too, I have some family business ventures which will hopefully add to my income. I feel bad for you, because even with laws against age discrimination, it still prevails in the job market. Luckily, an EE commands a good salary, which suggests demand. I know because my son is an engineering student, though not electrical. But he has a job waiting after he graduates in two months.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Postby kingfish » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 am

kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Freedomforall » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:27 am

Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Off Topic